* fio-based responsiveness test for MMTests
@ 2017-10-06 16:42 Paolo Valente
From: Paolo Valente @ 2017-10-06 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mel Gorman, linux-block
  Cc: DANIELE TOSCHI, Ulf Hansson, Linus Walleij, Mark Brown

Hi Mel,
I have been thinking of our (sub)discussion, in [1], on possible tests
to measure responsiveness.

First let me sum up that discuss in terms of the two main facts that
we highlighted.

On one side,
- it is actually possible to measure the start-up time of some popular
applications automatically and precisely (my claim),
- but to accomplish such a task one needs a desktop environment, which
is not available and/or not so easy to handle on a battery of
server-like test machines;

On the other side,
- you did perform some tests to estimate responsiveness,
- but the workloads for which you measured latency, namely the I/O
generated by a set of independent random readers, is rather too simple
to be able to model the much more complex workloads generated by any
non-trivial application while starting.  The latter, in fact, spawns
or wakes up a set of processes that synchronize among each other, and
that do I/O that varies over time, ranging from sequential to random
with large block sizes.  In addition, not only the number of processes
doing I/O, but also the total amount of I/O varies greatly with the
type of the application.

In view of these contrasting facts, here is my proposal to have a
feasible yet accurate responsiveness test in your MMTests suite: add a
synthetic test like yours, i.e., in which the workload is generated
using fio, but in which appropriate workloads are generated to mimic
real application-start-up workloads.  In more detail, in which
appropriate classes of workloads are generated, with each class
modeling, in any of the above respect (locality of I/O, number of
processes, total amount of I/O, ...), a popular type of application.
I think/hope should be able to build these workloads accurately, after
years of analysis of traces of the I/O generated by applications while
starting.  Or, in any case, we can then discuss the workloads I would
propose.

What do you think?

Looking forward to your feedback,
Paolo