* October, Paris, France - Meticulous In-person WireGuard Codebase Study Session
@ 2017-10-09 23:19 Jason A. Donenfeld
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2017-10-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey folks,

A few friends asked if I'd do a meticulous read through and
explanation, in person, of every line of the relatively short
WireGuard code base. We had done this at some point in 2015, before
the project was made public, and it took several highly intense hours
to study the whole thing, but was a fairly interesting time for all
(though undoubtedly mentally exhausting to the fullest).

Now they're asking me to do it again. But this time I thought I'd
extend the session to a bit larger group.

If anybody is in Paris during the next few weeks and would like to
attend, please let me know, either on list or off list, and we'll pick
a time and place and all meet up for several hours of intense study.

Requirements are a working knowledge of C and a general idea of what
it's like to use WireGuard. The rest of everything will be explained
line by line in an thorough and detailed fashion. The end result is
that all attendees will be capable of contributing to WireGuard and
hacking on the code base. You and I will both learn a lot from
discussing crypto and strange algorithms, and I expect it to be
productive for everybody involved.

So, if this sounds fun to anybody in town, don't hesitate to shout out.

See you soon maybe,
Jason

* Re: October, Paris, France - Meticulous In-person WireGuard Codebase Study Session
@ 2017-10-10  0:51 ` Ryan Whelan
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ryan Whelan @ 2017-10-10  0:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Is there any chance this could be recorded and posted to youtube or the
like?  I personally would be very interested in this knowledge, but will
not be able to attend.

@ 2017-10-10  1:55   ` Eric Light
From: Eric Light @ 2017-10-10  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Yeah I'm the same.  :)

A: http://five.sentenc.es

@ 2017-10-10  5:06 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-10-10  5:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 01:19:45AM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> Hey folks,
>
> A few friends asked if I'd do a meticulous read through and
> explanation, in person, of every line of the relatively short
> WireGuard code base. We had done this at some point in 2015, before
> the project was made public, and it took several highly intense hours
> to study the whole thing, but was a fairly interesting time for all
> (though undoubtedly mentally exhausting to the fullest).
>
> Now they're asking me to do it again. But this time I thought I'd
> extend the session to a bit larger group.
>
> If anybody is in Paris during the next few weeks and would like to
> attend, please let me know, either on list or off list, and we'll pick
> a time and place and all meet up for several hours of intense study.

Count me in, should be "fun" :)

greg k-h

* Re: October, Paris, France - Meticulous In-person WireGuard Codebase Study Session
@ 2017-10-10  6:10 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-10-10  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2017-10-10  6:36   ` Tom Bowditch
From: Tom Bowditch @ 2017-10-10  6:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

+1 for having it recorded/live-streamed and put up somewhere. I can=E2=80=99=
t attend, but would be very interested.

Tom

Sent from my iPhone

@ 2017-10-11 13:52   ` Le Sandie
From: Le Sandie @ 2017-10-11 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

+1 for the live streaming and recording. I can attend virtually!
:-D

On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:06 AM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 01:19:45AM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld wrote:
> > Hey folks,
> >
> > A few friends asked if I'd do a meticulous read through and
> > explanation, in person, of every line of the relatively short
> > WireGuard code base. We had done this at some point in 2015, before
> > the project was made public, and it took several highly intense hours
> > to study the whole thing, but was a fairly interesting time for all
> > (though undoubtedly mentally exhausting to the fullest).
> >
> > Now they're asking me to do it again. But this time I thought I'd
> > extend the session to a bit larger group.
> >
> > If anybody is in Paris during the next few weeks and would like to
> > attend, please let me know, either on list or off list, and we'll pick
> > a time and place and all meet up for several hours of intense study.
>
> Count me in, should be "fun" :)
>
> greg k-h

Lt. Col. Sandie

* Re: October, Paris, France - Meticulous In-person WireGuard Codebase Study Session
@ 2017-10-11 14:10     ` Konstantin Ryabitsev
From: Konstantin Ryabitsev @ 2017-10-11 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Oct 11, 2017 at 03:52:14PM +0200, Le Sandie wrote:
>+1 for the live streaming and recording. I can attend virtually!

This should totally be a Twitch.tv session. :)

-K

* Re: October, Paris, France - Meticulous In-person WireGuard Codebase Study Session
@ 2017-10-13 11:14     ` Manuel Schölling
From: Manuel Schölling @ 2017-10-13 11:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I will also not be able to attend in person, but I would definitively
watch a video if you record it!

On Tue, 2017-10-10 at 07:36 +0100, Tom Bowditch wrote:
> +1 for having it recorded/live-streamed and put up somewhere. I can=E2=80=
=99t
> attend, but would be very interested.
>=20
> Tom
>=20
> Sent from my iPhone
>=20
> > On 10 Oct 2017, at 07:10, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org>
> > wrote:
> >=20
> > > On Tue, Oct 10, 2017 at 01:19:45AM +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld
> > > wrote:
> > > Hey folks,
> > >=20
> > > A few friends asked if I'd do a meticulous read through and
> > > explanation, in person, of every line of the relatively short
> > > WireGuard code base. We had done this at some point in 2015,
> > > before
> > > the project was made public, and it took several highly intense
> > > hours
> > > to study the whole thing, but was a fairly interesting time for
> > > all
> > > (though undoubtedly mentally exhausting to the fullest).
> > >=20
> > > Now they're asking me to do it again. But this time I thought I'd
> > > extend the session to a bit larger group.
> > >=20
> > > If anybody is in Paris during the next few weeks and would like
> > > attend, please let me know, either on list or off list, and we'll
> > > pick
> > > a time and place and all meet up for several hours of intense
> > > study.
> >=20
> > Count me in, should be "fun" :)
> >=20
> > greg k-h

* Re: October, Paris, France - Meticulous In-person WireGuard Codebase Study Session
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2017-10-22  9:55 ` Quentin
From: Quentin @ 2017-10-22  9:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Le mardi 10 octobre 2017 à 01:19 +0200, Jason A. Donenfeld a écrit :
> Hey folks,
>
> A few friends asked if I'd do a meticulous read through and
> explanation, in person, of every line of the relatively short
> WireGuard code base. We had done this at some point in 2015, before
> the project was made public, and it took several highly intense hours
> to study the whole thing, but was a fairly interesting time for all
> (though undoubtedly mentally exhausting to the fullest).
>
> Now they're asking me to do it again. But this time I thought I'd
> extend the session to a bit larger group.
>
> If anybody is in Paris during the next few weeks and would like to
> attend, please let me know, either on list or off list, and we'll
> pick
> a time and place and all meet up for several hours of intense study.
>
> Requirements are a working knowledge of C and a general idea of what
> it's like to use WireGuard. The rest of everything will be explained
> line by line in an thorough and detailed fashion. The end result is
> that all attendees will be capable of contributing to WireGuard and
> hacking on the code base. You and I will both learn a lot from
> discussing crypto and strange algorithms, and I expect it to be
> productive for everybody involved.
>
> So, if this sounds fun to anybody in town, don't hesitate to shout
> out.
>
> See you soon maybe,
> Jason

Sounds really interesting, I will try to be present !

Quentin D.