* [Qemu-devel] using which notification for guest about GHES error
       [not found]     ` <20171001063010-mutt-send-email-mst@kernel.org>
@ 2017-10-16  6:10       ` gengdongjiu
From: gengdongjiu @ 2017-10-16  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin, James Morse
  Cc: imammedo, Laszlo Ersek, QEMU Developers, Wuquanming, Huangshaoyu

Hi Igor/Michael,
   I am very sorry to disturb you again.
Now we use Qemu to create APEI table and record CPER for guest,
After QEMU recorded a asynchronous CPER error, we needs to notify guest using interrupt or Polled notification.
For the asynchronous error. I think using GPIO-signaled notification may be better in the Qemu, and also which is suggested by APEI spec.
James worried that old guest OS may not support GPIO or GSIV notification for GHES, because GPIO or GSIV notification is supported in OS since about kernel version 4.10.
and suggested using Polled notification. About above two notifications, do you think which is better? and could you give us some suggestion? thanks.

Hi James,
  Below is APEI spec, From the spec, it suggested using GPIO interrupt or GPIO-signaled events in ARM64 [1]. If using Polled notification for GHES, I do not sure whether it is reasonable.
In the Qemu, X86 does not using Polled notification. it mainly use SCI. Until now, I do not found there is peopled using Polled notification in qemu. if implemented polled notification, I
do not know how much work effort need to do. Now I have already implemented the GPIO-Signal notification using GPIO pin.

[1]
HW-reduced ACPI platforms signal the error using a GPIO interrupt or another interrupt declared under a generic event device (Section 5.6.9). In the case of GPIO-signaled events,
an _AEI object lists the appropriate GPIO pin, while for Interrupt-signaled events a _CRS object is used to list the interrupt:
	• The OSPM evaluates the control method associated with this event as indicated in Section 5.6.5.3 and Section 5.6.9.3.
	• OSPM responds to this notification by checking the error status block of all generic error sources with the GPIO-Signal notification or Interrupt-signaled notification types to identify the
	  source reporting the error.

On 2017/10/1 11:30, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 06:10:05PM +0800, gengdongjiu wrote:

>>> ACPI events fundamentally go through the GPE mechanism. As the spec
>>> says:
>>>
>>> 	ACPI Event Programming Model
>>> 	The ACPI event programming model is based on the SCI interrupt and General-Purpose Event
>>> 	(GPE) register.
>>
>> got it, thanks Michael
>
> As Igor pointed out, the next spec sentence states that reduced HW
> configurations use GPIO.

>>> .
>>>

> .

* Re: [Qemu-devel] using which notification for guest about GHES error
@ 2017-10-16  9:33         ` Igor Mammedov
From: Igor Mammedov @ 2017-10-16  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gengdongjiu
  Cc: Michael S. Tsirkin, James Morse, Wuquanming, Laszlo Ersek,
	QEMU Developers, Huangshaoyu, Andrew Jones

On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:10:05 +0800
gengdongjiu <gengdongjiu@huawei.com> wrote:

> Hi Igor/Michael,
>    I am very sorry to disturb you again.
> Now we use Qemu to create APEI table and record CPER for guest,
> After QEMU recorded a asynchronous CPER error, we needs to notify guest using interrupt or Polled notification.
> For the asynchronous error. I think using GPIO-signaled notification may be better in the Qemu, and also which is suggested by APEI spec.
> James worried that old guest OS may not support GPIO or GSIV notification for GHES, because GPIO or GSIV notification is supported in OS since about kernel version 4.10.

How APEI support is fairly new on ARM (kernel), isn't it still in state of development?
Do we really care about old guests in this case?

We'd like to stick to ACPI spec as much as possible and also to
http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.den0044b/DEN0044B_Server_Base_Boot_Requirements.pdf
which mandates GPIO in platform (QEMU)
"
4.5 Hardware Requirements Imposed on the Platform by ACPI
Platforms compliant with this specification must provide the following GPIO-Signaled platform events:
"

> and suggested using Polled notification. About above two notifications, do you think which is better? and could you give us some suggestion? thanks.
how polling is supposed to be implemented in QEMU?

> Hi James,
>   Below is APEI spec, From the spec, it suggested using GPIO interrupt or GPIO-signaled events in ARM64 [1]. If using Polled notification for GHES, I do not sure whether it is reasonable.
> In the Qemu, X86 does not using Polled notification. it mainly use SCI. Until now, I do not found there is peopled using Polled notification in qemu. if implemented polled notification, I
> do not know how much work effort need to do. Now I have already implemented the GPIO-Signal notification using GPIO pin.
>

> [1]
> HW-reduced ACPI platforms signal the error using a GPIO interrupt or another interrupt declared under a generic event device (Section 5.6.9). In the case of GPIO-signaled events,
> an _AEI object lists the appropriate GPIO pin, while for Interrupt-signaled events a _CRS object is used to list the interrupt:
> 	• The OSPM evaluates the control method associated with this event as indicated in Section 5.6.5.3 and Section 5.6.9.3.
> 	• OSPM responds to this notification by checking the error status block of all generic error sources with the GPIO-Signal notification or Interrupt-signaled notification types to identify the
> 	  source reporting the error.
>

> On 2017/10/1 11:30, Michael S. Tsirkin wrote:

> >> got it, thanks Michael
> >
> > As Igor pointed out, the next spec sentence states that reduced HW
> > configurations use GPIO.

> > .

* [Qemu-devel] 答复:  using which notification for guest about GHES error
@ 2017-10-16 14:33           ` gengdongjiu
From: gengdongjiu @ 2017-10-16 14:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Igor Mammedov
  Cc: Michael S. Tsirkin, James Morse, Wuquanming, Laszlo Ersek,
	QEMU Developers, Huangshaoyu, Andrew Jones

Hi Igor,
  Thanks for your reply.

> On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:10:05 +0800
> gengdongjiu <gengdongjiu@huawei.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi Igor/Michael,
> >    I am very sorry to disturb you again.
> > Now we use Qemu to create APEI table and record CPER for guest, After
> > QEMU recorded a asynchronous CPER error, we needs to notify guest using interrupt or Polled notification.
> > For the asynchronous error. I think using GPIO-signaled notification may be better in the Qemu, and also which is suggested by APEI spec.
> > James worried that old guest OS may not support GPIO or GSIV notification for GHES, because GPIO or GSIV notification is supported in OS
> since about kernel version 4.10.
>
> How APEI support is fairly new on ARM (kernel), isn't it still in state of development?
> Do we really care about old guests in this case?

How APEI support is new feature on ARM64, because it mainly exists in ARMv8.2 architecture.
May be we cannot very care about old guest.
Because even we use the old notification(such as polled notification), the guest OS may still not have APEI support, so it is still not useless.
I checked the patches history, the APEI support is only enabled recent.

As we can see APEI/GHES is only enabled in "2017-06-21 12:30:44 -0500", the old version OS even does not have APEI support.
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?h=v4.14-rc5&id=c792e5e644fd8cd38b963fd3b38f6bf57c530966

James, what do you think about it?

> We'd like to stick to ACPI spec as much as possible and also to
> http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.den0044b/DEN0044B_Server_Base_Boot_Requirements.pdf
> which mandates GPIO in platform (QEMU)
> "
> 4.5 Hardware Requirements Imposed on the Platform by ACPI ...
> Platforms compliant with this specification must provide the following GPIO-Signaled platform events:
> "
>
> > and suggested using Polled notification. About above two notifications, do you think which is better? and could you give us some
> suggestion? thanks.
> how polling is supposed to be implemented in QEMU?
>

> > Hi James,
> >   Below is APEI spec, From the spec, it suggested using GPIO interrupt or GPIO-signaled events in ARM64 [1]. If using Polled notification
> for GHES, I do not sure whether it is reasonable.
> > In the Qemu, X86 does not using Polled notification. it mainly use
> > SCI. Until now, I do not found there is peopled using Polled notification in qemu. if implemented polled notification, I do not know how
> much work effort need to do. Now I have already implemented the GPIO-Signal notification using GPIO pin.
> >

> > [1]
> > HW-reduced ACPI platforms signal the error using a GPIO interrupt or
> > another interrupt declared under a generic event device (Section 5.6.9). In the case of GPIO-signaled events, an _AEI object lists the
> appropriate GPIO pin, while for Interrupt-signaled events a _CRS object is used to list the interrupt:
> > 	• The OSPM evaluates the control method associated with this event as indicated in Section 5.6.5.3 and Section 5.6.9.3.
> > 	• OSPM responds to this notification by checking the error status block of all generic error sources with the GPIO-Signal notification or
> Interrupt-signaled notification types to identify the
> > 	  source reporting the error.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] 答复:  using which notification for guest about GHES error
@ 2017-10-16 16:59             ` James Morse
From: James Morse @ 2017-10-16 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gengdongjiu
  Cc: Igor Mammedov, Michael S. Tsirkin, Wuquanming, Laszlo Ersek,
	QEMU Developers, Huangshaoyu, Andrew Jones

Hi gengdongjiu, Igor,

On 16/10/17 15:33, gengdongjiu wrote:
>> On Mon, 16 Oct 2017 14:10:05 +0800
>> gengdongjiu <gengdongjiu@huawei.com> wrote:
>>> Now we use Qemu to create APEI table and record CPER for guest, After
>>> QEMU recorded a asynchronous CPER error, we needs to notify guest using interrupt or Polled notification.
>>> For the asynchronous error. I think using GPIO-signaled notification may be better in the Qemu, and also which is suggested by APEI spec.
>>> James worried that old guest OS may not support GPIO or GSIV notification for GHES, because GPIO or GSIV notification is supported in OS
>> since about kernel version 4.10.
>>
>> How APEI support is fairly new on ARM (kernel), isn't it still in state of development?

The NMI-like notifications, (SEA, SEI, SDEI) are still being worked on, but the
less exotic Polled and many-flavours-of-interrupt should have exactly the same
meaning/behaviour as on x86. (it should be possible to emulate/configure these
with common user-space code too)

>> Do we really care about old guests in this case?

I think the scenario here is the host kernel has some RAS support, Qemu has RAS
support and has advertised its CPER regions via the HEST, but the guest doesn't
doesn't support RAS. (booted via DT, wasn't configured for APEI, the kernel
pre-dates the support etc).

What should Qemu do in response to 'action optional' memory errors?

My suggestion is whatever action Qemu takes, it shouldn't kill a guest that
doesn't support RAS. Using NOTIFY_SEI for an action-optional memory error will
do this. A guest that doesn't know about NOTIFY_SEI will take this as a fatal
SError.

> How APEI support is new feature on ARM64, because it mainly exists in ARMv8.2 architecture.

ARMv8.2 isn't relevant here: The host kernel has some RAS support.
(My ARMv8.0 AMD Seattle has a HEST with NOTIFY_POLL entries).

> May be we cannot very care about old guest.
> Because even we use the old notification(such as polled notification), the guest OS may still not
> have APEI support, so it is still not useless.

The aim is to not kill the guest with the notification. Writing CPER records to
the polled buffer for action-optional signals will be found by a guest that
supports RAS, and ignored by a guest that doesn't.

Similarly if we report Action-Required signals as Synchronous-External-Abort, we
could make these NOTIFY_SEA. A guest that has RAS support will find the CPER
records, a guest that doesn't will still do the right thing.
(I think we need more information from KVM to support this one)

> I checked the patches history, the APEI support is only enabled recent.
>
> As we can see APEI/GHES is only enabled in "2017-06-21 12:30:44 -0500", the old version OS even does not have APEI support.
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?h=v4.14-rc5&id=c792e5e644fd8cd38b963fd3b38f6bf57c530966
>
> James, what do you think about it?

I think you shouldn't expect host kernel, guest kernel and Qemu version to all
pair up nicely.

>> We'd like to stick to ACPI spec as much as possible and also to
>> http://infocenter.arm.com/help/topic/com.arm.doc.den0044b/DEN0044B_Server_Base_Boot_Requirements.pdf
>> which mandates GPIO in platform (QEMU)
>> "
>> 4.5 Hardware Requirements Imposed on the Platform by ACPI ...
>> Platforms compliant with this specification must provide the following GPIO-Signaled platform events:
>> "
>>
>>> and suggested using Polled notification. About above two notifications, do you think
>>> which is better? and could you give us some suggestion? thanks.

Which is better? Surely polled is simplest:

>> how polling is supposed to be implemented in QEMU?

(I'm not familiar with Qemu's internals, but,)
For any of the GHES notifications you must have to reserve memory for CPER
records, advertise where they are to the guest via UEFI+ACPI and describe which
regions are notified by which method.

When Qemu takes a RAS signal it generates CPER records and 'does' the
notification. NOTIFY_POLL is the simplest, you don't do anything for the
notification. The guest is expected to read the interval value from the HEST and
check the buffer that often. Qemu just needs to generate the CPER records into
the appropriate location in guest memory.

Thanks,

@ 2017-10-16 17:25               ` Laszlo Ersek
From: Laszlo Ersek @ 2017-10-16 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Morse, gengdongjiu
  Cc: Igor Mammedov, Michael S. Tsirkin, Wuquanming, QEMU Developers,
	Huangshaoyu, Andrew Jones

On 10/16/17 18:59, James Morse wrote:
> Hi gengdongjiu, Igor,
>
> On 16/10/17 15:33, gengdongjiu wrote:
>>> since about kernel version 4.10.
>>>
>>> How APEI support is fairly new on ARM (kernel), isn't it still in state of development?
>
> The NMI-like notifications, (SEA, SEI, SDEI) are still being worked on, but the
> less exotic Polled and many-flavours-of-interrupt should have exactly the same
> meaning/behaviour as on x86. (it should be possible to emulate/configure these
> with common user-space code too)
>

>>> Do we really care about old guests in this case?
>
> I think the scenario here is the host kernel has some RAS support, Qemu has RAS
> support and has advertised its CPER regions via the HEST, but the guest doesn't
> doesn't support RAS. (booted via DT, wasn't configured for APEI, the kernel
> pre-dates the support etc).
>
> What should Qemu do in response to 'action optional' memory errors?
>
> My suggestion is whatever action Qemu takes, it shouldn't kill a guest that
> doesn't support RAS. Using NOTIFY_SEI for an action-optional memory error will
> do this. A guest that doesn't know about NOTIFY_SEI will take this as a fatal
> SError.

As far as I understand, this QEMU feature is not enabled by default; it
takes at least one specific -device option (maybe some other options
too). If that's the case, then adding the option, and then seeing a
guest (without supporting the feature) hang itself, is okay.

It is no different from the guest OS lacking drivers for other important
-- such as boot -- devices, such as virtio drivers in general, or
virtio-1.0 drivers for modern-only virtio devices.

Such knowledge (= what OS has built-in drivers or other kind of support
for what devices) is maintained in libosinfo.

> I think you shouldn't expect host kernel, guest kernel and Qemu version to all
> pair up nicely.

If I understand correctly, the things that are expected to match up are:
- guest kernel (more generally, guest OS image),
- and QEMU command line (more generally, virtual hardware
  configuration).

Just my two cents anyway; I haven't been following this discussion closely.

Thanks
Laszlo

* Re: [Qemu-devel] using which notification for guest about GHES error
@ 2017-10-17  1:31               ` gengdongjiu
From: gengdongjiu @ 2017-10-17  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Morse
  Cc: Igor Mammedov, Michael S. Tsirkin, Wuquanming, Laszlo Ersek,

On 2017/10/17 0:59, James Morse wrote:
>>> Do we really care about old guests in this case?
> I think the scenario here is the host kernel has some RAS support, Qemu has RAS
> support and has advertised its CPER regions via the HEST, but the guest doesn't
> doesn't support RAS. (booted via DT, wasn't configured for APEI, the kernel
> pre-dates the support etc).
>
> What should Qemu do in response to 'action optional' memory errors?
>
> My suggestion is whatever action Qemu takes, it shouldn't kill a guest that
> doesn't support RAS. Using NOTIFY_SEI for an action-optional memory error will
> do this. A guest that doesn't know about NOTIFY_SEI will take this as a fatal
> SError.

In short, if for this purpose, I think NOTIFY_GPIO meets the requirement, which will not kill a guest which does not
support RAS, and keep the ACPI the spec, so I suggestion using NOTIFY_GPIO to 'action
optional' memory errors