* DT best practices for defining multiple closely-related boards
@ 2017-10-28  9:19 Robert P. J. Day
       [not found] ` <alpine.LFD.2.21.1710280514300.8772-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2017-10-28  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

  much shorter followup to previous note -- if we extend all that to
defining, say, two very closely-related boards, the acme "coyote1" and
"coyote2", then all i should end up needing (at most) is two new .dts
files:

  coyote1.dts
  coyote2.dts

both of which could include (among other things) common coyote content
in:

  coyote.dtsi

and that's it. unless there's something really novel about these
boards, all other content should come from kernel-supplied .dtsi
files, yes? and, once again, i'm asking since the design i was handed
again copies kernel-supplied .dtsi files and modifies them, apparently
for no other reason than to remove properties, which should have been
done with /delete-property/.

rday

* Re: DT best practices for defining multiple closely-related boards
       [not found] ` <alpine.LFD.2.21.1710280514300.8772-bi+AKbBUZKY6gyzm1THtWbp2dZbC/Bob@public.gmane.org>
@ 2017-11-01 21:24   ` Rob Herring
From: Rob Herring @ 2017-11-01 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, Oct 28, 2017 at 05:19:23AM -0400, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>   much shorter followup to previous note -- if we extend all that to
> defining, say, two very closely-related boards, the acme "coyote1" and
> "coyote2", then all i should end up needing (at most) is two new .dts
> files:
>
>   coyote1.dts
>   coyote2.dts

Another option is if your bootloader can distinguish between boards, you
fixup the dtb at runtime. Depends if managing mulitple dtbs and firmware
images is a pain or not.

> both of which could include (among other things) common coyote content
> in:
>
>   coyote.dtsi
>
> and that's it. unless there's something really novel about these
> boards, all other content should come from kernel-supplied .dtsi
> files, yes? and, once again, i'm asking since the design i was handed
> again copies kernel-supplied .dtsi files and modifies them, apparently
> for no other reason than to remove properties, which should have been
> done with /delete-property/.

Seems so, but people just copy things for a variety of reasons (laziness
primarily).

Rob