* How to enable output to serial console at run-time?
@ 2017-11-02 15:39 Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2017-11-02 15:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-serial; +Cc: linux-kernel

Dear Linux folks,

If I want to output the Linux kernel messages to the serial console, but
the `console=ttyS…` line is missing on the Linux command line, is there
a way to activate that during run-time by, for example, using the sysfs
interface?

Kind regards,

Paul

* Re: How to enable output to serial console at run-time?
@ 2017-11-02 16:53 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-11-02 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel; +Cc: linux-serial, linux-kernel

On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 04:39:36PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
> Dear Linux folks,
>

> If I want to output the Linux kernel messages to the serial console, but the
> `console=ttyS…` line is missing on the Linux command line, is there a way to
> activate that during run-time by, for example, using the sysfs interface?

Why not change the command line to enable it properly?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Re: How to enable output to serial console at run-time?
@ 2017-11-02 19:01   ` Paul Menzel
From: Paul Menzel @ 2017-11-02 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: linux-serial, linux-kernel

Dear Greg,

Am 02.11.2017 um 17:53 schrieb Greg KH:
> On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 04:39:36PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:

>> If I want to output the Linux kernel messages to the serial console, but the
>> `console=ttyS…` line is missing on the Linux command line, is there a way to
>> activate that during run-time by, for example, using the sysfs interface?
>
> Why not change the command line to enable it properly?

Sometimes it’s not possible or very inconvenient to reboot the system.

@ 2017-11-02 22:29     ` Alan Cox
From: Alan Cox @ 2017-11-02 22:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Paul Menzel; +Cc: Greg KH, linux-serial, linux-kernel

On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 20:01:07 +0100
Paul Menzel <pmenzel+linux-serial@molgen.mpg.de> wrote:

> Dear Greg,
>

> Am 02.11.2017 um 17:53 schrieb Greg KH:
> > On Thu, Nov 02, 2017 at 04:39:36PM +0100, Paul Menzel wrote:
>
> >> If I want to output the Linux kernel messages to the serial console, but the
> >> `console=ttyS…` line is missing on the Linux command line, is there a way to
> >> activate that during run-time by, for example, using the sysfs interface?
> >
> > Why not change the command line to enable it properly?
>
> Sometimes it’s not possible or very inconvenient to reboot the system.

Try "man 2 ioctl_tty"

Alan