* Pushing commits to drm-intel-next-queued and questions about CI
@ 2017-11-03 10:41 Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-11-03 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Vetter; +Cc: intel-gfx

Hi Daniel,

A while ago I was granted commit rights to the drm-intel repo.
So far I've not used these, but since no-one seems to be
pushing these 2 sets, I guess now might be a good time to
learn how to push things myself.

I'm talking about these 2 patch-sets:

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32274/
https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32288/

Both have all the necessary reviews, etc.

The first series triggers some new warnings in Fi.CI.IGT,
looking at the history of the tests triggering new warnings,
e.g. I see a "new" warning on kbl in:
https://intel-gfx-ci.01.org/tree/drm-tip/igt@kms_busy@extended-modeset-hang-oldfb-render-A.html
it seems that some tests simply sometimes trigger some warnings,
if that is the case can I ignore these ?

Also it seems that the 3261 tip chosen to run the tests against
was a poor one according to the per test histories many
tests were skipped against it. How can I reschedule tests?

Likewise the 2nd patchset failed 1 test in
Fi.CI.BAT, which seems unrelated to the patch-set.

This means the other tests never ran, so I guess
I should reschedule the tests for this set.

Given that all the patches have been reviewed and acked can
I simply push these to drm-intel-next-queued once the
tests results are sorted out?

Regards,

Hans

* Re: Pushing commits to drm-intel-next-queued and questions about CI
@ 2017-11-03 17:40 ` Rodrigo Vivi
From: Rodrigo Vivi @ 2017-11-03 17:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede; +Cc: intel-gfx

Hi Hans,

On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 10:41:55AM +0000, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> A while ago I was granted commit rights to the drm-intel repo.
> So far I've not used these, but since no-one seems to be
> pushing these 2 sets, I guess now might be a good time to
> learn how to push things myself.
>
> I'm talking about these 2 patch-sets:
>
> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32274/

For this one we got the ack from Ingo, but I missed the reviewed-by
on the second one that is the i915 part of it.
Do we need it or just that ack was enough for both patches?

> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32288/
>
> Both have all the necessary reviews, etc.
>
> The first series triggers some new warnings in Fi.CI.IGT,
> looking at the history of the tests triggering new warnings,
> e.g. I see a "new" warning on kbl in:
> https://intel-gfx-ci.01.org/tree/drm-tip/igt@kms_busy@extended-modeset-hang-oldfb-render-A.html
> it seems that some tests simply sometimes trigger some warnings,
> if that is the case can I ignore these ?

Ideally it is good to retest. CI is getting better day by day.
So if you run today and it was yesterday's false positive it will
probably not be there anymore.

> Also it seems that the 3261 tip chosen to run the tests against
> was a poor one according to the per test histories many
> tests were skipped against it. How can I reschedule tests?

Or someone with patchwork admin can do that for you
or you need to resend the series... but...

> Likewise the 2nd patchset failed 1 test in
> Fi.CI.BAT, which seems unrelated to the patch-set.

... I just triggered both retests for you here...

> This means the other tests never ran, so I guess
> I should reschedule the tests for this set.
>
> Given that all the patches have been reviewed and acked can
> I simply push these to drm-intel-next-queued once the
> tests results are sorted out?

If you have permission and if you are follow the guidelines
and docs, you know what you are doing ;)

Thanks,
Rodrigo.

@ 2017-11-03 18:51   ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-11-03 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Vivi; +Cc: intel-gfx

Hi,

On 03-11-17 18:40, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 10:41:55AM +0000, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi Daniel,
>>
>> A while ago I was granted commit rights to the drm-intel repo.
>> So far I've not used these, but since no-one seems to be
>> pushing these 2 sets, I guess now might be a good time to
>> learn how to push things myself.
>>
>> I'm talking about these 2 patch-sets:
>>
>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32274/
>
> For this one we got the ack from Ingo, but I missed the reviewed-by
> on the second one that is the i915 part of it.
> Do we need it or just that ack was enough for both patches?

With "this one" I assume you mean the one below:

>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32288/

As that is the one which has an ack from Ingo, the second
one has had a reviewed-by from Imre Deak for a few
versions already, it is right there in patch work.

Thank you for rescheduling the tests, this one passes
Fi.CI.BAT now, but I did not see Fi.CI.IGD getting run?

As for the other series:

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32274/

That one passed Fi.CI.BAT before (and had warnings
in Fi.CI.IGD which seem to be normal as they happen more
often) but now failed in Fi.CI.BAT, with almost all tests
for fi-gdg-551 failing and everything else succeeeding.

> ... I just triggered both retests for you here...
>
>> This means the other tests never ran, so I guess
>> I should reschedule the tests for this set.
>>
>> Given that all the patches have been reviewed and acked can
>> I simply push these to drm-intel-next-queued once the
>> tests results are sorted out?
>
> If you have permission and if you are follow the guidelines
> and docs, you know what you are doing ;)

I'm not entirely sure I know what I'm doing, hence this mail :)

My understanding is: that once all patches are reviewed and
a set passes Fi.CI.BAT and Fi.CI.IGD it can be pushed to
drm-intel-next-queued, is that correct?

And what about pesky CI failures ?  Note I do see the usefulness
of CI, it did catch a real bug in another patch-set of mine,
just wondering how to deal with CI given that its results
seem to be varying...

@ 2017-11-03 19:11     ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-11-03 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Vivi; +Cc: intel-gfx

Hi,

On 03-11-17 19:51, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03-11-17 18:40, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
>> Hi Hans,
>>
>> On Fri, Nov 03, 2017 at 10:41:55AM +0000, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi Daniel,
>>>
>>> A while ago I was granted commit rights to the drm-intel repo.
>>> So far I've not used these, but since no-one seems to be
>>> pushing these 2 sets, I guess now might be a good time to
>>> learn how to push things myself.
>>>
>>> I'm talking about these 2 patch-sets:
>>>
>>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32274/
>>
>> For this one we got the ack from Ingo, but I missed the reviewed-by
>> on the second one that is the i915 part of it.
>> Do we need it or just that ack was enough for both patches?
>
> With "this one" I assume you mean the one below:
>
>>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32288/
>
> As that is the one which has an ack from Ingo, the second
> one has had a reviewed-by from Imre Deak for a few
> versions already, it is right there in patch work.
>
> Thank you for rescheduling the tests, this one passes
> Fi.CI.BAT now, but I did not see Fi.CI.IGD getting run?

Ok I just got a success report for Fi.CI.IGD too, so I
guess I can go and push this now ?

@ 2017-11-07 12:33       ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-11-07 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rodrigo Vivi; +Cc: intel-gfx

Hi,

On 03-11-17 20:11, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03-11-17 19:51, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03-11-17 18:40, Rodrigo Vivi wrote:
>>> Hi Hans,

>>> For this one we got the ack from Ingo, but I missed the reviewed-by
>>> on the second one that is the i915 part of it.
>>> Do we need it or just that ack was enough for both patches?
>>
>> With "this one" I assume you mean the one below:

>> As that is the one which has an ack from Ingo, the second
>> one has had a reviewed-by from Imre Deak for a few
>> versions already, it is right there in patch work.
>>
>> Thank you for rescheduling the tests, this one passes
>> Fi.CI.BAT now, but I did not see Fi.CI.IGD getting run?
>
> Ok I just got a success report for Fi.CI.IGD too, so I
> guess I can go and push this now ?

Erm, ping? So given the patches have a Reviewed-by /
Acked-by and Fi.CI.Bat and Fi.CI.IGD both pass:

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32288/

Can I push these (and others in similar circumstances in
the future) ?

@ 2017-11-07 16:50         ` Jani Nikula
From: Jani Nikula @ 2017-11-07 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Hans de Goede, Rodrigo Vivi; +Cc: intel-gfx

On Tue, 07 Nov 2017, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 03-11-17 20:11, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03-11-17 19:51, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> With "this one" I assume you mean the one below:

>>> As that is the one which has an ack from Ingo, the second
>>> one has had a reviewed-by from Imre Deak for a few
>>> versions already, it is right there in patch work.
>>>
>>> Thank you for rescheduling the tests, this one passes
>>> Fi.CI.BAT now, but I did not see Fi.CI.IGD getting run?
>>
>> Ok I just got a success report for Fi.CI.IGD too, so I
>> guess I can go and push this now ?
>
> Erm, ping? So given the patches have a Reviewed-by /
> Acked-by and Fi.CI.Bat and Fi.CI.IGD both pass:
>
> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32288/
>
> Can I push these (and others in similar circumstances in
> the future) ?

Yes, as long as you use dim for that [1].

BR,
Jani.

[1] https://01.org/linuxgraphics/gfx-docs/maintainer-tools/dim.html

@ 2017-11-10 12:20           ` Hans de Goede
From: Hans de Goede @ 2017-11-10 12:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jani Nikula, Rodrigo Vivi; +Cc: intel-gfx

Hi,

On 07-11-17 17:50, Jani Nikula wrote:
> On Tue, 07 Nov 2017, Hans de Goede <hdegoede@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 03-11-17 20:11, Hans de Goede wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Ok I just got a success report for Fi.CI.IGD too, so I
>>> guess I can go and push this now ?
>>
>> Erm, ping? So given the patches have a Reviewed-by /
>> Acked-by and Fi.CI.Bat and Fi.CI.IGD both pass:
>>
>> https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32288/
>>
>> Can I push these (and others in similar circumstances in
>> the future) ?
>
> Yes, as long as you use dim for that [1].

Ah ok, thank you for pointing that out, it was told me when I
got commit rights, but that was a while ago. Ok, I've pushed
the 2 patches from:

https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/32288/

Using dim now.

Regards,