* Enable notifications for linux-mtd
@ 2017-11-07  8:26 Boris Brezillon
From: Boris Brezillon @ 2017-11-07  8:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr
  Cc: Brian Norris, Richard Weinberger, Marek Vasut, Cyrille Pitchen,
	David Woodhouse, linux-mtd

Hi Jeremy,

Is there a way to send notifications to the submitter/author when the
status of a linux-mtd patch is changed? I didn't find such an option in
the config/profile menu, but I already received such notifications when
contributing to other projects.

Not sure we'll need a notification for any kind of change, but having
one when the patch is marked as Accepted would be good.

Thanks,

Boris

* Re: Enable notifications for linux-mtd
@ 2017-11-08  1:29 ` Jeremy Kerr
From: Jeremy Kerr @ 2017-11-08  1:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boris Brezillon
  Cc: Brian Norris, Richard Weinberger, Marek Vasut, Cyrille Pitchen,
	David Woodhouse, linux-mtd

Hi Boris,

> Is there a way to send notifications to the submitter/author when the
> status of a linux-mtd patch is changed?

Absolutely - that's just something I can turn on in your project's
config. I assume your co-maintainers are OK with this?

> Not sure we'll need a notification for any kind of change, but having
> one when the patch is marked as Accepted would be good.

Currently, the notifications are for all state changes (there's no
config to do it selectively). Will this be a problem?

Cheers,

Jeremy

* Re: Enable notifications for linux-mtd
@ 2017-11-08  8:22   ` Boris Brezillon
From: Boris Brezillon @ 2017-11-08  8:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr
  Cc: Brian Norris, Richard Weinberger, Marek Vasut, Cyrille Pitchen,
	David Woodhouse, linux-mtd

Hi Jeremy,

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 09:29:35 +0800
Jeremy Kerr <jk@ozlabs.org> wrote:

> Hi Boris,
>
> > Is there a way to send notifications to the submitter/author when the
> > status of a linux-mtd patch is changed?
>
> Absolutely - that's just something I can turn on in your project's
> config. I assume your co-maintainers are OK with this?

I now for sure that Richard is fine with that. Cyrille, Marek, Brian,
any problem with enabling notifications for linux-mtd?

> > Not sure we'll need a notification for any kind of change, but having
> > one when the patch is marked as Accepted would be good.
>
> Currently, the notifications are for all state changes (there's no
> config to do it selectively). Will this be a problem?

No, that's fine. It's just that notifying when the state moves to
'Changes Requested' is a bit redundant, because the review would attest
that. Same goes for 'Superseded', the user is already aware that his
new version supersedes the old one. Anyway, it's really not a big deal,
and I'd be happy with notifications for all state changes.

@ 2017-11-09  6:10   ` Brian Norris
From: Brian Norris @ 2017-11-09  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jeremy Kerr
  Cc: Boris Brezillon, Richard Weinberger, Marek Vasut,
	Cyrille Pitchen, David Woodhouse, linux-mtd

On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 09:29:35AM +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> Hi Boris,
>
> > Is there a way to send notifications to the submitter/author when the
> > status of a linux-mtd patch is changed?
>
> Absolutely - that's just something I can turn on in your project's
> config. I assume your co-maintainers are OK with this?

What does "notification to submitter/author" mean? Only to the person
who sent the patch? Or to everyone CC'd (including the mailing list)? If
it's not the latter, then I hope no maintainer starts relying on that.
It really obscures the process if authors are getting private
notifications, and nobody ever responds publicly to say things have been
applied.

> > Not sure we'll need a notification for any kind of change, but having
> > one when the patch is marked as Accepted would be good.
>
> Currently, the notifications are for all state changes (there's no
> config to do it selectively). Will this be a problem?

In general, mailing lists get a lot of inapplicable junk. Cross-posts,
at least (e.g., device tree source changes, documentation, and driver
patches in a single series -- we might only care about the latter 2).
Does that mean we notify submitters when things move to "Not
Applicable"? What about "Archived"? There's still non-archived stuff on
the tracker that's >3 years old. I guess spamming people isn't the end
of the world...

Brian

* Re: Enable notifications for linux-mtd
@ 2017-11-09  8:37     ` Boris Brezillon
From: Boris Brezillon @ 2017-11-09  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Norris, Marek Vasut
  Cc: Jeremy Kerr, Richard Weinberger, Cyrille Pitchen,
	David Woodhouse, linux-mtd

On Wed, 8 Nov 2017 22:10:16 -0800
Brian Norris <computersforpeace@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 08, 2017 at 09:29:35AM +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> > Hi Boris,
> >
> > > Is there a way to send notifications to the submitter/author when the
> > > status of a linux-mtd patch is changed?
> >
> > Absolutely - that's just something I can turn on in your project's
> > config. I assume your co-maintainers are OK with this?
>
> What does "notification to submitter/author" mean? Only to the person
> who sent the patch? Or to everyone CC'd (including the mailing list)? If
> it's not the latter, then I hope no maintainer starts relying on that.
> It really obscures the process if authors are getting private
> notifications, and nobody ever responds publicly to say things have been
> applied.

That's true. Jeremy, are notifications sent to all people in Cc of a
patch/patch-series, or is it just sent to the submitter and author of
the patch?

@ 2017-11-09  9:17       ` Jeremy Kerr
From: Jeremy Kerr @ 2017-11-09  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Boris Brezillon, Brian Norris, Marek Vasut
  Cc: Richard Weinberger, Cyrille Pitchen, David Woodhouse, linux-mtd

Hi Boris,

>> What does "notification to submitter/author" mean? Only to the person
>> who sent the patch? Or to everyone CC'd (including the mailing list)? If
>> it's not the latter, then I hope no maintainer starts relying on that.
>> It really obscures the process if authors are getting private
>> notifications, and nobody ever responds publicly to say things have been
>> applied.
>
> That's true. Jeremy, are notifications sent to all people in Cc of a
> patch/patch-series, or is it just sent to the submitter and author of
> the patch?

Just the submitter - ie., the person who sent it to the list.

Cheers,

Jeremy