* error: redefinition of ‘shipped_regdb_certs’
@ 2017-12-19  7:44 Michal Hocko
From: Michal Hocko @ 2017-12-19  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Johannes,
this is the first time I am seeing this with the current Linus
tree. 4.15-rc3 compiled fine. I have checked that you have updated the
makefile which generates the file by 715a12334764 ("wireless: don't
write C files on failures").

I am getting the following compilation error:
  CC [M]  net/wireless/shipped-certs.o
net/wireless/shipped-certs.c:686:10: error: redefinition of ‘shipped_regdb_certs’
 const u8 shipped_regdb_certs[] = {
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
net/wireless/shipped-certs.c:2:10: note: previous definition of ‘shipped_regdb_certs’ was here
 const u8 shipped_regdb_certs[] = {
          ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
net/wireless/shipped-certs.c:1368:14: error: redefinition of ‘shipped_regdb_certs_len’
 unsigned int shipped_regdb_certs_len = sizeof(shipped_regdb_certs);
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
net/wireless/shipped-certs.c:684:14: note: previous definition of ‘shipped_regdb_certs_len’ was here
 unsigned int shipped_regdb_certs_len = sizeof(shipped_regdb_certs);
              ^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
scripts/Makefile.build:310: recipe for target 'net/wireless/shipped-certs.o' failed
make[3]: *** [net/wireless/shipped-certs.o] Error 1
scripts/Makefile.build:569: recipe for target 'net/wireless' failed
make[2]: *** [net/wireless] Error 2
Makefile:1012: recipe for target 'net' failed
make[1]: *** [net] Error 2

I have no idea how the generated file is supposed to work but it seems
that the cleanup doesn't work properly.  Compilation succeeds if I
remove the file and it is generated again:

$ rm net/wireless/shipped-certs.c
[...]
  GEN     net/wireless/shipped-certs.c
  CC [M]  net/wireless/shipped-certs.o

I have double checked that neither make clean/distclean removed the
file. Strangely enough neither did the tree with 715a12334764 reverted.

Any idea?
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs

* Re: error: redefinition of ‘shipped_regdb_certs’
@ 2017-12-19  8:36 ` Johannes Berg
From: Johannes Berg @ 2017-12-19  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Michal,

> this is the first time I am seeing this with the current Linus
> tree. 4.15-rc3 compiled fine. I have checked that you have updated the
> makefile which generates the file by 715a12334764 ("wireless: don't
> write C files on failures").

Which introduced the problem - I accidentally put >> redirection there
instead of just >.

I just merged a fix for this.

> I have no idea how the generated file is supposed to work but it seems
> that the cleanup doesn't work properly.  Compilation succeeds if I
> remove the file and it is generated again:
>
> $ rm net/wireless/shipped-certs.c
> [...]
>   GEN     net/wireless/shipped-certs.c
>   CC [M]  net/wireless/shipped-certs.o
>
> I have double checked that neither make clean/distclean removed the
> file.

I also forgot that, and just fixed it.

Sorry for all the mess with this.

johannes

* Re: error: redefinition of ‘shipped_regdb_certs’
@ 2017-12-19 10:20   ` Michal Hocko
From: Michal Hocko @ 2017-12-19 10:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue 19-12-17 09:36:54, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> > this is the first time I am seeing this with the current Linus
> > tree. 4.15-rc3 compiled fine. I have checked that you have updated the
> > makefile which generates the file by 715a12334764 ("wireless: don't
> > write C files on failures").
>
> Which introduced the problem - I accidentally put >> redirection there
> instead of just >.

Heh, that wasn't all that hard to spot, I could have tried a bit
harder...

> I just merged a fix for this.
>
> > I have no idea how the generated file is supposed to work but it seems
> > that the cleanup doesn't work properly.  Compilation succeeds if I
> > remove the file and it is generated again:
> >
> > $ rm net/wireless/shipped-certs.c
> > [...]
> >   GEN     net/wireless/shipped-certs.c
> >   CC [M]  net/wireless/shipped-certs.o
> >
> > I have double checked that neither make clean/distclean removed the
> > file.
>
> I also forgot that, and just fixed it.
>
> Sorry for all the mess with this.

Thanks a lot!