* [Fuego] Status and Hackathon presentations posted
@ 2017-12-19 20:16 Bird, Timothy
       [not found] ` <CGME20171219201632epcas4p491715716ea5fd7430dcb777dd7587d8e@epcms5p6>
From: Bird, Timothy @ 2017-12-19 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fuego

Hello all,

I have updated the Fuego presentations page at:
http://fuegotest.org/wiki/Presentations

New entries on the page are for:
 - my December "Fuego Status and Roadmap" presentation that I gave at Japan Jamboree #63
and
 - the slides from the Japan Fuego Hackathon, given earlier this month.

These later slides have some notes about little-known features of Fuego, that people might
be interested in, as well as a list of brainstorming ideas for Fuego features, and a roadmap
of priorities for Fuego development for the next few months.

Enjoy!
 -- Tim

* Re: [Fuego] Status and Hackathon presentations posted
       [not found] ` <CGME20171219201632epcas4p491715716ea5fd7430dcb777dd7587d8e@epcms5p6>
@ 2017-12-20  6:31   ` Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram
       [not found]     ` <CGME20171219201632epcas4p491715716ea5fd7430dcb777dd7587d8e@epcms5p2>
From: Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram @ 2017-12-20  6:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bird, Timothy; +Cc: fuego

[-- Attachment #2: 201602111742151_N3WZA6X7.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 33527 bytes --]

* Re: [Fuego] Status and Hackathon presentations posted
@ 2017-12-20 18:17     ` Bird, Timothy
       [not found]       ` <CGME20171219201632epcas4p491715716ea5fd7430dcb777dd7587d8e@epcms5p1>
       [not found]     ` <CGME20171219201632epcas4p491715716ea5fd7430dcb777dd7587d8e@epcms5p2>
From: Bird, Timothy @ 2017-12-20 18:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhinakar.k; +Cc: fuego

I agree this would be good.  I'd like to change a few things about how
Jenkins runs our batch jobs (including migrating to Jenkins pipelines,
which would give us more flexibility).  Producing a summary report for a batch
job would be a great addition.

> *	Test Report template could have s.no., test name, pass/fail status,
> error details if failed & a summary at the bottom summing up the no of
> passed tests vs total tests executed

Agreed.  Fuego is currently missing error details.  That's something
we definitely need to work on.

> *	HTML, Excel formats would be great, html for stake-holders to view
> from any location and excel can be used for official mailing purpose. It will
> really save a lot of time

Good point on the value of different report formats.  Now that we have
a unified output format, producing different report formats should be
possible (I won't say 'easy' :-), but it's at least doable.).  That was one of
the big drivers for the unified output format push.

> 2.	Regarding additional tests to be integrated to fuego, I would like to
> have DDT (device driver tests) from TI
> (http://processors.wiki.ti.com/index.php/LTP-DDT) I am not sure about
> feasibility but validation of device drivers for various IPs is very good test
> suite(s) to have in additional to kernel validation
I've heard of this before, and looked at it briefly in the past.  It definitely
looks like it would be valuable.  I didn't dig into it to see if the tests are specific
to only TI chips and device drivers.  However, if you're using a TI chip, this would
certainly be nice.

I've added this to our list of desired tests.
See http://fuegotest.org/wiki/New_test_ideas#kernel_tests

> 3.	Related to GUI, how about providing some nice skins and dashboard
> customization provision for the end user?

This sounds nice.  Fuego used to have much more custom skinning than it does
now, using a variety of Jenkins plugins, and customizations of the existing interface.
However, we backed off of shipping those, pre-integrated with Fuego, for several reasons:
 - shipping with lots of pre-installed plugins and customized interfaces made it
 much more difficult for end users to upgrade their version of Jenkins, or to switch
 to their own set of Jenkins plugins and customizations
 - it also made it difficult for the Fuego project to move to a new Jenkins version
 - there was very little documentation of the plugins we used, in terms of
 end-user documentation for the interfaces.  This made it extremely difficult (IMHO)
 for an end-user to figure out Fuego's Jenkins interface.  You pretty much had to
 be a Jenkins expert AND be familiar with the plugins we used, to understand how
to use and navigate our pre-skinned and customized  interface.

Now, having said that, I think it would be very nice to provide additional customizations.
There are a few different routes we could take:
 1) try to go back and pre-customize Jenkins, but this time document it better.  That still
 leaves us with more plugin and Jenkins version dependencies than I'd like.
 2) document, or provide tutorials, on how to use existing Jenkins plugins to  customize
 the interface, and leave it as an exercise for the user.
 3) try to add some tools or scripts to automatically install a "Fuego" alternate skin and
 customizations to Jenkins, so users can decide to stick with "stock" Jenkins, or move
 to a more feature-rich Fuego-customized interface (but do so easily).  We would still
 have to document our customizations, and we'd have to maintain the script when we
 changed Jenkins versions.

The last option is obviously the nicest, but also the most work.

Thanks very much for the suggestions.

Can you please add the above ideas to the wiki?  Please put them on:
http://fuegotest.org/wiki/Fuego_Suggestion_Box

(except for the DDT test, which I already added to the Test Ideas page).

If you don't already have a wiki account, please make one.  You can just add them
in a new section at the top of the page.  This is a scratch-pad page, not overly
organized, for saving suggestions like this.

Thanks!

@ 2017-12-20 18:22       ` Bird, Timothy
       [not found]       ` <CGME20171219201632epcas4p491715716ea5fd7430dcb777dd7587d8e@epcms5p1>
From: Bird, Timothy @ 2017-12-20 18:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bird, Timothy, dhinakar.k; +Cc: fuego

By the way, Dhinakar, this is exactly the reason I made the brainstorming section
in the presentation, and announced the presentation on the mailing list.
Too often, we make presentations that are only viewed by a small audience,
and then the points are not preserved for others to comment on and improve.

So, thank you for taking the time to look at the presentation, and make additional
suggestions!

@ 2017-12-21 12:43       ` Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram
From: Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram @ 2017-12-21 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bird, Timothy; +Cc: fuego

[-- Attachment #2: Type: image/gif, Size: 13402 bytes --]

@ 2017-12-21 12:45         ` Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram
From: Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram @ 2017-12-21 12:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bird, Timothy; +Cc: fuego