* thinkpad E555, fan module not loaded
@ 2017-12-20 15:30 Raf
From: Raf @ 2017-12-20 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-acpi

Hi,

I post here as a last ressort as advised at the end of this thread
https://www.spinics.net/lists/ibm-acpi-devel/msg04173.html

I own a Thinkpad E555/Kaveri which is overheating.
I noticed fan stopped working soon after a 4.9 => 4.12 (Debian Jessie =>
Stretch) upgrade.
BIOS is up to date, kernel is 4.12.
fan runs during BIOS & GRUB stages (or if booting acpi=off)
The main symptom seems to be that the "fan" module is not loaded.
I already provided information and a couple of ACPI tables in the above thread.

What more may I provide in order to efficiently help getting this
spotted & solved?

* Re: thinkpad E555, fan module not loaded
@ 2017-12-20 19:14 Ognjen Galic
From: Ognjen Galic @ 2017-12-20 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gibboris, linux-acpi

> Hi,

> I post here as a last ressort as advised at the end of this thread
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/ibm-acpi-devel/msg04173.html
>
> I own a Thinkpad E555/Kaveri which is overheating.
> I noticed fan stopped working soon after a 4.9 => 4.12 (Debian Jessie =>
> Stretch) upgrade.
> BIOS is up to date, kernel is 4.12.
> fan runs during BIOS & GRUB stages (or if booting acpi=off)
> The main symptom seems to be that the "fan" module is not loaded.
> I already provided information and a couple of ACPI tables in the above
> thread.
>
> What more may I provide in order to efficiently help getting this
> spotted & solved?

Thanks for contacting us!

That could be caused by two modules, either thinkpad_acpi or fan.

First, build a kernel with both modules not built at all and install
the kernel. The fan should work just fine as both fan and thinkpad_acpi
are not loaded. Then, build the battery and thinkpad_acpi modules and
load one by one, and see which one causes the issue and report back.

Thanks,
Ognjen