* XPTI patches for 4.10 don't apply
@ 2018-01-19  7:21 Andy Smith
From: Andy Smith @ 2018-01-19  7:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hi,

Maybe this is a silly question but which tag are the 4.10 XPTI
commits from https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/xsa254/README.pti against?
They don't apply to RELEASE-4.10.0.

Cheers,
Andy

* Re: XPTI patches for 4.10 don't apply
@ 2018-01-19  9:52 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-01-19  9:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Smith; +Cc: xen-devel

>>> On 19.01.18 at 08:21, <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> Maybe this is a silly question but which tag are the 4.10 XPTI
> commits from https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/xsa254/README.pti against?
> They don't apply to RELEASE-4.10.0.

As always with security fixes, they are against the tip of the
respective staging tree at the point they were being applied.
To be able to help you it would have been useful if you
indicated which of the patches you have what problem with.

Jan

* Re: XPTI patches for 4.10 don't apply
@ 2018-01-19 21:19   ` Andy Smith
From: Andy Smith @ 2018-01-19 21:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel

Hi Jan,

On Fri, Jan 19, 2018 at 02:52:50AM -0700, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > Maybe this is a silly question but which tag are the 4.10 XPTI
> > commits from https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/xsa254/README.pti against?
> > They don't apply to RELEASE-4.10.0.
>
> As always with security fixes, they are against the tip of the
> respective staging tree at the point they were being applied.

Ah, I thought it might be something like that.

I'm used to patches in XSAs being against a specific release. Will
there be patches published against RELEASE-4.10.0 or is the
expectation for people trying this to be using the tip of
4.10-staging?

Thanks,

@ 2018-01-22  8:58     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-01-22  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Smith; +Cc: xen-devel

>> > Maybe this is a silly question but which tag are the 4.10 XPTI
>> > commits from https://xenbits.xen.org/xsa/xsa254/README.pti against?
>> > They don't apply to RELEASE-4.10.0.
>>
>> As always with security fixes, they are against the tip of the
>> respective staging tree at the point they were being applied.
>
> Ah, I thought it might be something like that.
>
> I'm used to patches in XSAs being against a specific release. Will
> there be patches published against RELEASE-4.10.0

I know of no plans, and to be honest I think my earlier reply
already said exactly that.

> or is the
> expectation for people trying this to be using the tip of
> 4.10-staging?

There is no such expectation; people using a different baseline
simply may need to adjust the patches.

Jan