* Testing low level UART driver
@ 2018-01-24 13:16 Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-01-24 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi All,

Does Linux kernel tree has any standard utilities to test any low
level UART driver?

Sekhar

* Testing low level UART driver
@ 2018-01-24 13:22 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-01-24 13:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 06:46:06PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Does Linux kernel tree has any standard utilities to test any low
> level UART driver?

What do you mean by "low level UART driver"?

Have you tried one of the many different userspace serial port tools?
Those are usually the best test of a system, along with some simple
loop-back tests if you have the proper hardware plugged into the serial
port.

What driver are you trying to test?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Testing low level UART driver
@ 2018-01-24 15:13   ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-01-24 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:52 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 06:46:06PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Does Linux kernel tree has any standard utilities to test any low
>> level UART driver?
>
> What do you mean by "low level UART driver"?
bcm63xx_uart.c

> Have you tried one of the many different userspace serial port tools?
I tried only minicom. Could you let me know the best userspace serial
port tools.

> Those are usually the best test of a system, along with some simple
> loop-back tests if you have the proper hardware plugged into the serial
> port.
>
> What driver are you trying to test?
I?m trying to test Broadcom 63xx integrated uart driver.

> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Sekhar

* Testing low level UART driver
@ 2018-01-24 15:23     ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-01-24 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 08:43:56PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 6:52 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 06:46:06PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> >> Hi All,
> >>
> >> Does Linux kernel tree has any standard utilities to test any low
> >> level UART driver?
> >
> > What do you mean by "low level UART driver"?
> bcm63xx_uart.c
>

> > Have you tried one of the many different userspace serial port tools?
> I tried only minicom. Could you let me know the best userspace serial
> port tools.

What doesn't work with minicom?  That's a really good tester given that
it exercises the tty layer a lot.

> > Those are usually the best test of a system, along with some simple
> > loop-back tests if you have the proper hardware plugged into the serial
> > port.
> >
> > What driver are you trying to test?
> I?m trying to test Broadcom 63xx integrated uart driver.

What currently does not work with it?  The driver has been around for a
very long time, it should be really stable.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Testing low level UART driver
@ 2018-01-25  7:16       ` Muni Sekhar
From: Muni Sekhar @ 2018-01-25  7:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:53 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 08:43:56PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:

>> > What do you mean by "low level UART driver"?
>> bcm63xx_uart.c
>>

>> > Have you tried one of the many different userspace serial port tools?
>> I tried only minicom. Could you let me know the best userspace serial
>> port tools.
>
> What doesn't work with minicom?  That's a really good tester given that
> it exercises the tty layer a lot.

I?m trying to record throughput achieved with different baud rates in
loopback mode. Does minicom support this?

>> > Those are usually the best test of a system, along with some simple
>> > loop-back tests if you have the proper hardware plugged into the serial
>> > port.
>> >
>> > What driver are you trying to test?
>> I?m trying to test Broadcom 63xx integrated uart driver.
>
> What currently does not work with it?  The driver has been around for a
> very long time, it should be really stable.
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Sekhar

* Testing low level UART driver
@ 2018-01-25  7:34         ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-01-25  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Jan 25, 2018 at 12:46:01PM +0530, Muni Sekhar wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 8:53 PM, Greg KH <greg@kroah.com> wrote:

> >> bcm63xx_uart.c

> >> I tried only minicom. Could you let me know the best userspace serial
> >> port tools.
> >
> > What doesn't work with minicom?  That's a really good tester given that
> > it exercises the tty layer a lot.
>
> I?m trying to record throughput achieved with different baud rates in
> loopback mode. Does minicom support this?

Not that I know of, but it would be pretty simple to write a program to
do that.

good luck!

greg k-h