* Wireguard backport to 2.6.3x kernels
@ 2018-01-31  8:44 John Wayne
From: John Wayne @ 2018-01-31  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wireguard

Hi,

I am working on a project that involves some old MIPS and ARM based
custom boards.
Current SDKs for these boards are pretty messy and there is no
documentation about the
patches that were applied to the 2.6.3x kernels in order make them
work on these boards.

So my question is how painfully will it be to port wireguard to the
even more ancient 2.6.3x kernels?

Thanks!
Igor B.

* Re: Wireguard backport to 2.6.3x kernels
@ 2018-01-31  9:03 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-01-31  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wayne; +Cc: wireguard

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 10:44:39AM +0200, John Wayne wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on a project that involves some old MIPS and ARM based
> custom boards.
> Current SDKs for these boards are pretty messy and there is no
> documentation about the
> patches that were applied to the 2.6.3x kernels in order make them
> work on these boards.

You can always just diff against the kernel.org release to see that.

> So my question is how painfully will it be to port wireguard to the
> even more ancient 2.6.3x kernels?

You shouldn't be running any device based on those old kernels exposed
to the network as they are probably totally insecure.  Instead work on
updating the kernel to something that was at least released in the past
5 years.

Wireguard support is the least of your problems here :)

good luck!

greg k-h

* Re: Wireguard backport to 2.6.3x kernels
@ 2018-01-31 14:23 ` Jason A. Donenfeld
From: Jason A. Donenfeld @ 2018-01-31 14:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Igor,

It's certainly possible to backport. At the moment I'm focused on
moving the project forward with other tasks, so it's not a good use of
my time, but if you'd like to give this a stab, I'd happily take
non-invasive patches that only touch the compat/ directory. Just keep
in mind that you'll need to support all kernels in between your target
and the current minimum.

Regards,
Jason