* newbie
@ 2018-02-09 17:31 yash omer
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: yash omer @ 2018-02-09 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,
Please guide me how to follow with mailing list
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* newbie
@ 2018-02-09 17:36 ` Ozgur Kara
       [not found]   ` <CADgbxGj6cKytp_ecE9m22tEf3zib1oEi2EMZDB1Vm_bxPiuc_A@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ozgur Kara @ 2018-02-09 17:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2018-02-09 17:43 ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2018-02-09 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 23:01:52 +0530, yash omer said:

> Hello,
> Please guide me how to follow with mailing list

Well, hopefully you managed to get subscribed to the list.  After that, following
the list is just that - read the emails as they come in.

If your *actual* question is "what do I do next?", I'll point you to something
I posted a while ago:

https://lists.kernelnewbies.org/pipermail/kernelnewbies/2017-April/017765.html

From: Ozgur @ 2018-02-09 18:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2018-02-09 20:20                   ` valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
From: valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu @ 2018-02-09 20:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 21:01:10 +0300, Ozgur said:

> I want to get rid of maintainer, mail directly Linus or Greg. I don't recommend
> at all, it's dangerous area :)

It's also not scalable. 16,223 commits between v4.14 and v4.15.  50 weekdays (assuming
a week off at Christmas).  With 8 hour work days,  that's about 40 commits to merge
an hour - which isn't achievable if you're actually reviewing code.
> On Fri, 09 Feb 2018 21:01:10 +0300, Ozgur said:
>
>> ?I want to get rid of maintainer, mail directly Linus or Greg. I don't recommend
>> ?at all, it's dangerous area :)
>
> It's also not scalable. 16,223 commits between v4.14 and v4.15. 50 weekdays (assuming
> a week off at Christmas). With 8 hour work days, that's about 40 commits to merge
> an hour - which isn't achievable if you're actually reviewing code.

So, you are right and I just only joked.

* newbie
@ 2018-02-12 16:59 ` Ruben Safir
From: Ruben Safir @ 2018-02-12 16:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

use mutt

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 11:01:52PM +0530, yash omer wrote:
> Hello,
> Please guide me how to follow with mailing list

http://www.mrbrklyn.com

http://www.coinhangout.com - coins!
http://www.brooklyn-living.com

ut incompatible with living as a free human being. -RI Safir 2013
1

* newbie
@ 2023-04-25 14:52 slack uj
From: slack uj @ 2023-04-25 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hello World!
I am a total newbie!

* Re: Newbie
@ 2015-09-17 11:49 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2015-09-17 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lasya Venneti; +Cc: Lars Kurth, wei.liu2, xen-devel

Cc Lars

On Thu, Sep 17, 2015 at 02:33:43PM +0530, Lasya Venneti wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm Lasya a student studying in IIIT-H, Hyderabad, India.
>
> I wish to participate in round 11 of Outreachy this time. I would be
> grateful if someone would direct me as to how I am supposed to start
> contributing to Xen Project for this Outreachy round.
>
> Sincerely,
> Lasya V

* Newbie
@ 2015-09-17  9:03 Lasya Venneti
From: Lasya Venneti @ 2015-09-17  9:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

@ 2015-06-19  7:29     ` Razvan Cojocaru
From: Razvan Cojocaru @ 2015-06-19  7:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On 06/18/2015 09:46 PM, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Razvan, but I meant how will i test my code, when I
> make some changes ?

Well, like any piece of software, you check to see that your changes do
what they're supposed to do by running your modified Xen with a relevant
test scenario. I'm afraid your question is too generic to be answered
more precisely than that.

As for debugging, you can sprinkle your code with printk()s and see
which codepath is chosen, and so on. You should then be able to see the
output by running something like 'xl dmesg'.

You can also check out these resources:

http://www-archive.xenproject.org/files/xensummit_intel09/xen-debugging.pdf

http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Debugging_Xen

HTH,
Razvan

* Re: Newbie
@ 2015-06-18 19:00     ` Razvan Cojocaru
From: Razvan Cojocaru @ 2015-06-18 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Gupta; +Cc: xen-devel

On 06/18/2015 09:46 PM, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> Thanks for the reply Razvan, but I meant how will i test my code, when I
> make some changes ?

I was answering what I thought was your question about "not being able
to find any link for [...] development environment setup". If you mean
you'd like to know about the OSSTEST Xen test system, there's some
information (and links) here:
https://blog.xenproject.org/2013/02/02/xen-automatic-test-system-osstest/ but
unfortunately I haven't used it yet so somebody more knowledgeable would
need to step in if you need more information.

Cheers,
Razvan

* Re: Newbie
@ 2015-06-18 18:46   ` Abhinav Gupta
From: Abhinav Gupta @ 2015-06-18 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Razvan Cojocaru; +Cc: xen-devel

On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 12:14 AM, Razvan Cojocaru <rcojocaru@bitdefender.com
> wrote:

> On 06/18/2015 09:40 PM, Abhinav Gupta wrote:
> > Hello Xen developers,
> > I'm new here. I'm not able to find any link for bugs/issues or
> > development environment setup
> > for xen. Please can anyone help me with this.
>
> http://wiki.xenproject.org/wiki/Compiling_Xen_From_Source
>

> HTH,
> Razvan

* Re: Newbie
@ 2015-06-18 18:44 ` Razvan Cojocaru
From: Razvan Cojocaru @ 2015-06-18 18:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abhinav Gupta, xen-devel

@ 2015-06-18 18:40 Abhinav Gupta
From: Abhinav Gupta @ 2015-06-18 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello Xen developers,
I'm new here. I'm not able to find any link for bugs/issues or development
environment setup
for xen. Please can anyone help me with this.

Thanks,
Abhinav

* Re: Newbie
@ 2009-12-01 12:00   ` Mikko Oksalahti
From: Mikko Oksalahti @ 2009-12-01 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Howard Miller <howardsmiller <at> googlemail.com> writes:

> 2009/12/1 Mikko Oksalahti <mikko <at> azila.fi>:
> > How do I now get the accidentally deleted files back from the repository
without
> > losing local changes made to 10 files?
>
> 'git status' should show you what files you have deleted.  'git
> checkout filename' should get them back. I can't think of a way of
> recovering every file you have just deleted although - I suspect it
> might be tricky. Thinks like 'git pull' only apply to remote
> repositories and you don't have one of those.
>
> Howard

Ok. That helps. I just assumed the 'git pull' would work same way on local and
remote repositories but I guess not then...

> ....You're not thinking of it the right way (yet)

I hate when you say that :P

  /Mikko

* Re: Newbie
       [not found] ` <968530b20911230124ma2bb253odd7002ff3122db21@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2009-11-24  5:58   ` Niamathullah sharief
From: Niamathullah sharief @ 2009-11-24  5:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mayank Mangla, video4linux-list

no friend. i didnt have any source. but i am thinking to work with xawtv
driver. is that ok?

On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 2:54 PM, Mayank Mangla <mayyankk@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do you have source code for webcam driver?
>

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Niamathullah sharief <newbiesha@gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>   I am newbie. I have some knowledge in Device drivers and modules. Now i
>> am going to do research on how this web cam is working.for that whaT I
>> HAVE
>> TO DO?Is there any tutorial to know how webcam is working. How it is
>> capturing?Please help me
>> --

* Newbie
@ 2009-11-23  8:15 Niamathullah sharief
       [not found] ` <968530b20911230124ma2bb253odd7002ff3122db21@mail.gmail.com>
From: Niamathullah sharief @ 2009-11-23  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: video4linux-list

@ 2006-03-14 22:09 ` David Hawkins
From: David Hawkins @ 2006-03-14 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Heim; +Cc: linuxppc-embedded

Eric Heim wrote:
> Any suggestions for geting started on embedded Linux.  I'm supposed to
> be using embedded linux on an mpc83xx taget board with an x86 host.  I
> have searched many sites and most information is over my head.  I know
> very little.  Anyone know of a good getting started guide?

Hey Eric,

Read Karim Yaghmour's 'Building Embedded Linux Systems', its a nice
introduction to the subject.

Do you know which MPC83xx target board you will be using?

Regards
Dave

* Newbie
@ 2006-03-14 21:29 Eric Heim
From: Eric Heim @ 2006-03-14 21:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linuxppc-embedded

Any suggestions for geting started on embedded Linux.  I'm supposed to be using embedded linux on an mpc83xx taget board with an x86 host.  I have searched many sites and most information is over my head.  I know very little.  Anyone know of a good getting started guide?
http://mail.yahoo.com

* Re: newbie
@ 2005-12-24 23:16   ` Niel A
From: Niel A @ 2005-12-24 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Frank Kotler; +Cc: linux-assembly

thanks for you help and clarifications!

my learning continues! looking forward to more posts....

again, merry christmas. and thank you.

tidings,
 - niel

* newbie
@ 2005-12-23 16:50 Niel A
From: Niel A @ 2005-12-23 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-assembly

hello all!

i'm taking linux assembly as a hobby for christmas and i found your great site. the tutorials have been much helpful.

anyway, i meant to ask something..

section .data
	string: db "hi!",10

and i wanna capitalize the small letter 'h'.

at first i used
	mov di, string ; but di is 16 bits and ld complains

so i eventually started using the 32 bit ones to do the capitalisation operation. but for some reason, i lose all other letters, including the linefeed.

please point me to the right direction.

merry christmas,
- niel

* Re: newbie
@ 2005-12-23  9:56 ` Frank Kotler
From: Frank Kotler @ 2005-12-23  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niel A; +Cc: linux-assembly

Niel A wrote:
> hello all!
>
> i'm taking linux assembly as a hobby for christmas

... and for New Year you're doing micro-code? :)

> and i found your great site. the tutorials have been much helpful.
>
> anyway, i meant to ask something..
>
> section .data
> 	string: db "hi!",10
>
> and i wanna capitalize the small letter 'h'.
>
> at first i used
> 	mov di, string ; but di is 16 bits and ld complains

Right. As Fred explains, an address is 32 bits (or 64).

> so i eventually started using the 32 bit ones to do the capitalisation operation. but for some reason, i lose all other letters, including the linefeed.

Sounds like maybe you went too far. The address is 32 bits (or 64), but
the characters of the string are only a byte (8 bits). If you tried to
"uppercase" a whole 32 bits, you'd lose the whole thing, including the
linefeed.

> please point me to the right direction.

Easy way:

sub byte [string], 32

maybe you'd write it as:

sub byte [string], 'a' - 'A'

to make it more "self-documenting". But a more flexible way, using some
registers...

mov edi, string
mov al, [edi]
cmp al, 'a'  ; don't "uppercase" it unless
jb skip      ; it's lower case!
cmp al, 'z'
ja skip
sub al, 'a' - 'A'
mov [edi], al  ; store it back in "string"
skip:

...perhaps "inc edi", and loop back do do the next letter, or whatever...

inc edi
mov byte [edi], 'a'  ; change it to "Ha!"

Have fun.

> merry christmas,

Same to you and yours... and the rest of the list.

Best,
Frank

* Re: newbie
@ 2005-12-23  9:11 ` Fred Marmond
From: Fred Marmond @ 2005-12-23  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Niel A; +Cc: linux-assembly

Hi Niel
string is a label, that's to say here, a pointer.
If you are in x86 architecture (32bits), a pointer is 32bits long, so you'll
have to do "mov edi,string".
If you are in x86_64 arch (64bits), you'll have to use 64bits registers for
pointers, "mov rdi,string"

Fred

-

@ 2004-03-26 20:05 ` David Cannings
From: David Cannings @ 2004-03-26 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

On Friday 26 March 2004 19:52, IT Clown wrote:
> I am new to iptanles i am just wondering i have the
> following in my iptables file.
> INPUT DROP [0.0]
> OUTPUT DROP [0.0]
> FORWARD DROP [0.0]
> as i understand that will drop every comunications.

Yes, it will.

> what rules will i need to apply to allow www,ftp,mirc
> browsing?
> I want to do that on another pc behind the firewall.

There are three things I would suggest.  The first is reading two
tutorials on http://www.netfilter.org/documentation/index.html -
specifically the "packet filtering HOWTO" and the "NAT HOWTO".

The second is Oskar's excellent iptables tutorial, at
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html.

The third is taking a while to work out what ports the services you
mention work on.  A basic feel for how TCP/IP connections work would help
too.  The knowledge that in most cases a client chooses a port >1024 and
connects to the service port should suffice.  People on the list could
easily list the ports you need to allow or deny but you'll learn a
tremendous amount by spending 10 minutes working it out.

In any case, don't forget you will need to enable IP Forwarding on your
netfilter machine.

Hope those pointers help,

David

* newbie
@ 2004-03-26 19:52 IT Clown
From: IT Clown @ 2004-03-26 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hi all

I am new to iptanles i am just wondering i have the
following in my iptables file.

INPUT DROP [0.0]
OUTPUT DROP [0.0]
FORWARD DROP [0.0]

as i understand that will drop every comunications.

what rules will i need to apply to allow www,ftp,mirc
browsing?

I want to do that on another pc behind the firewall.

Regards
http://www.webmail.co.za/dialup Webmail ISP - Cool Connection, Cool Price

* Re: Newbie
@ 2003-10-29 19:43 ` Jörg Schütter
From: Jörg Schütter @ 2003-10-29 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

Hallo David,

On Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:19:55 -0500
"David C. Hart" <DCH@TQMcube.com> wrote:

[...]
> 4. I would rather use the FILTER table for the refused connections to
> reject rather than drop. I'm sure that it's simple but I just don't get
> it. This would depend upon the filter table rules following the NAT
> table rules. Where is this order established?

Take a look at
http://iptables-tutorial.frozentux.net/iptables-tutorial.html#TRAVERSINGOFTABLES

--
Gruß
  Jörg

--
Jörg Schütter           http://www.lug-untermain.de/
joerg@schuetter.org     http://www.schuetter.org/joerg/

* Newbie
@ 2003-10-29 19:19 David C. Hart
From: David C. Hart @ 2003-10-29 19:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netfilter

I'm a bit of a nitwit and could use some pointers from more experienced
hands.

We changed routers recently and with it the processes. The objectives
remain the same:
1. To protect the server (running Apache, Postfix and Vftp).
2. To provide DShield reporting.
3. To get reliable data so that, from time to time, we can contact ISPs
when things get out of hand.

The setup is simple and does not use the router's NAT.

I am using only the NAT IPtable. HTTP, SMTP, FTP and Pop3 get port
forwarded. Anything that doesn't get port forwarded is presumed to be
intrusive and gets logged and dropped. So far so good.

Questions:

1. Does this approach make sense?

2. I'm getting the LAN address in the logs rather than the intended
destination IP. Is there some way to preserve the original data?

3. Is anyone aware of a decent log analyzer that will also provide host
resolution?

4. I would rather use the FILTER table for the refused connections to
reject rather than drop. I'm sure that it's simple but I just don't get
it. This would depend upon the filter table rules following the NAT
table rules. Where is this order established?

Thanks.

* RE: newbie
@ 2002-12-31  1:28 Cagle, John (ISS-Houston)
From: Cagle, John (ISS-Houston) @ 2002-12-31  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pawel S. Veselov, acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

Pawel,

The ACPI subsystem is indeed progressing on the 2.4 kernel, and the
maintainers (Andy Grover and others) keep a Bitkeeper tree of the latest
2.4.xx kernel with the latest ACPI changes.  Browse to
http://linux-acpi.bkbits.net/ to see the official source tree.  They are
also working with the 2.4 kernel maintainer (Marcelo Tosatti) to always
get the latest subsystem in the latest kernel version.  I think that
kernel tar files (for 2.4 and 2.5) are maintained on the sourceforge
site as well.

In addition, most major Linux distributors should have ACPI built into
their 2.4 kernels soon, if not already.

Regards,
John
--------------------------------
John Cagle     john.cagle-VXdhtT5mjnY@public.gmane.org
Principal Member Technical Staff
   Industry Standard Servers
    Hewlett-Packard Company
    http://www.hp.com/linux

Welcome to geek heaven.
http://thinkgeek.com/sf

* newbie
@ 2002-12-30 22:25 Pawel S. Veselov
From: Pawel S. Veselov @ 2002-12-30 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: acpi-devel-5NWGOfrQmneRv+LV9MX5uipxlwaOVQ5f

@ 2002-10-04 22:44 Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-10-04 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi,

I have a basic question. When some function calls
panic:
1)Can I store some registers into nonvolatile
memory. I will call this function from the very
beginning of my panic function.

2) What exactly happens when a function calls panic
.i.e. a)what all things are inaccessible, in my
case I will be embedding my code at the very beginning
of panic function, so what things will be inaccessible
to my code b) what is control flow after a function
calls panic.

Any help will really useful. Kindly mail to
venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com, as I did't subscribe.

Regards
Venkat.

http://sbc.yahoo.com

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-09-18  4:04 ` Charles Manning
From: Charles Manning @ 2002-09-18  4:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkat Raghu, linux-mtd

It sounds to me like you need to first understand what flash memory is. I
don't know if there is a faq that describes this.

On Wed, 18 Sep 2002 15:44, Venkat Raghu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Any pointers to documents describing the basics
> of mtd drivers. I would like know how it works, what
> are the operations. Whats the reason behind erase
> operation etc.

To answer that one question. Flash memory cannot just be reprogrammed, in
many/most instances you first need to erase the section of flash before you
can reprogram it. All the limitations are far too complex to answer in an
email like this though.

-- Charles

* newbie
@ 2002-09-18  3:44 Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-09-18  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi,

Any pointers to documents describing the basics
of mtd drivers. I would like know how it works, what
are the operations. Whats the reason behind erase
operation etc.

regards
Venkat.

Yahoo! News - Today's headlines
http://news.yahoo.com

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-08-30  0:54   ` Keith Morse
From: Keith Morse @ 2002-08-30  0:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Nairn; +Cc: Venkat Raghu, linux-admin

On Wed, 28 Aug 2002, Richard Nairn wrote:

> You need to go into /etc/xinetd.d/ and edit telnet. It has one parameter
> disable = yes, change that to no then restart xinetd.  I don't think that
> chkconfig will handle services within xinetd's realm.
>

> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:16:58PM -0700, Venkat Raghu wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want users to be able to telnet into my linux box.
> > So I did
> > #>chkconfig telnet on
> >
> > and added in /etc/hosts.allow
> > in.telnetd: ALL: ALLOW
> >
> > then
> > #>/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

A couple of things.  "chkconfig telnet on" does update
/etc/xinetd.d/telnet parameter "disable = yes" to "disable = no"
and restarts xinetd automagically.

I really think his issue is the default firewall config for the host.

If "telnet localhost" works from that host, that is the most likely cause.

"netstat -an | grep -i listen" should report something like

tcp        0      0 0.0.0.0:23          0.0.0.0:*           LISTEN

He might try "service ipchains stop" and test the telnet connection then.

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-08-28 21:28 ` Richard Nairn
From: Richard Nairn @ 2002-08-28 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkat Raghu; +Cc: linux-admin

You need to go into /etc/xinetd.d/ and edit telnet. It has one parameter
disable = yes, change that to no then restart xinetd.  I don't think that
chkconfig will handle services within xinetd's realm.

On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 02:16:58PM -0700, Venkat Raghu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want users to be able to telnet into my linux box.
> So I did
> #>chkconfig telnet on
>
> and added in /etc/hosts.allow
> in.telnetd: ALL: ALLOW
>
> then
> #>/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
>
> I was unable to telnet into the box:
> It says connection refused, it does't even come
> until login prompt. So I think telnetd is not
> configured properly. So what is wrong in above
> process???
>
> Regards
> Venkat.

---end quoted text---

--
|       Richard Nairn          Specializing in Linux
|     Nairn Consulting         Web / Database Solutions
|        Calgary, AB
| Richard@NairnConsulting.ca

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-08-28 21:27 ` Scott Taylor
From: Scott Taylor @ 2002-08-28 21:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

At 02:16 PM 28/08/2002, Venkat Raghu wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I want users to be able to telnet into my linux box.
>So I did
>#>chkconfig telnet on
>
>and added in /etc/hosts.allow
>in.telnetd: ALL: ALLOW
>
>then
>#>/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart
>
>I was unable to telnet into the box:

Have a look in /etc/xinetd.d directory

* newbie
@ 2002-08-28 21:16 Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-08-28 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Hi,

I want users to be able to telnet into my linux box.
So I did
#>chkconfig telnet on

and added in /etc/hosts.allow
in.telnetd: ALL: ALLOW

then
#>/etc/rc.d/init.d/xinetd restart

I was unable to telnet into the box:
It says connection refused, it does't even come
until login prompt. So I think telnetd is not
configured properly. So what is wrong in above
process???

Regards
Venkat.

http://finance.yahoo.com

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-08-20 19:53     ` Riley Williams
From: Riley Williams @ 2002-08-20 19:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ichi; +Cc: Linux Newbies

Hi Steven.

>> Another option would be for your script to drop
>> the relevant commands into the keyboard buffer

> How is this done?

All I know is that there are programs that do just that.
I wish I knew how they did it, but I don't 8-((

Best wishes from Riley.

-

* RE: newbie
@ 2002-08-20 19:11   ` Glynn Clements
From: Glynn Clements @ 2002-08-20 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

Uma Shankar Kayarohanam wrote:

>   When man says "stty - change and print terminal line settings",
>   and readline(3), needs to be configured through inputrc..
>   which is unaffected by stty.. !
>
>   Something looks awkward.. right ?
>   why readline does not bother stty ?

stty controls the settings of the kernel's tty driver. However,
readline explicitly puts the tty driver into "raw" mode, overriding
any previous settings.

It does this so that it can provide complex line-editing facilities,
similar to those found in a text editor.

The kernel's tty driver only provides very basic line-editing
facilities, i.e. the ability to erase the previous character, the
previous word, or the entire line.

Also, the line-editing facility is only available in canonical (aka
"cooked") mode, where an entire line of input is returned when the
Return/Enter key is pressed. If a program wants to read key presses as
soon as they occur, it has to put the tty driver into "raw" mode.
Clearly, the tty driver can't provide line-editing in this mode (once
a character has been sent to the application, the tty driver can't
"unsend" it).

--
Glynn Clements <glynn.clements@virgin.net>

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-08-20 18:41   ` ichi
From: ichi @ 2002-08-20 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux Newbies

Riley Williams wrote:

> Another option would be for your script to drop
> the relevant commands into the keyboard buffer

How is this done?

Cheers,
Steven

-

* RE: newbie
@ 2002-08-20 13:07 ` Uma Shankar Kayarohanam
From: Uma Shankar Kayarohanam @ 2002-08-20 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kirkwood, David A; +Cc: 'Raghava Raju', linux-admin

Glynn,
  When man says "stty - change and print terminal line settings",
  and readline(3), needs to be configured through inputrc..
  which is unaffected by stty.. !

  Something looks awkward.. right ?
  why readline does not bother stty ?

--
A mistake is just another way of doing things.

On Mon, 19 Aug 2002, Kirkwood, David A wrote:

> Try doing it this way....
>
> stty erase control-V control-B

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-08-20  7:32   ` Matti Aarnio
From: Matti Aarnio @ 2002-08-20  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkat Raghu; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-newbie

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:30:18PM -0700, Venkat Raghu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a bash script which modifies some environment
> variables and does some other housekeeping things.
> But problem is that when script finishes running,
> new values of environment variables are no longer
> visible in parent shell. So what should I do so that
> these new values are visible in parent. I don't want
> to run as ". file.sh". I have to run it as "file.sh"
> only.

  The things you do in child process environments are
  inheritable only to their childs, never to parent.
  If they were, there would be massive security problems,
  just to mention one consequence...

  If you want your current shell to get the new values,
  you have to do:  . file.sh

> Kindly mail me at venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com
>
> Regards
> Venkat.

* Re: newbie
@ 2002-08-20  7:32   ` Matti Aarnio
From: Matti Aarnio @ 2002-08-20  7:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkat Raghu; +Cc: linux-kernel, linux-newbie

On Mon, Aug 19, 2002 at 03:30:18PM -0700, Venkat Raghu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a bash script which modifies some environment
> variables and does some other housekeeping things.
> But problem is that when script finishes running,
> new values of environment variables are no longer
> visible in parent shell. So what should I do so that
> these new values are visible in parent. I don't want
> to run as ". file.sh". I have to run it as "file.sh"
> only.

  The things you do in child process environments are
  inheritable only to their childs, never to parent.
  If they were, there would be massive security problems,
  just to mention one consequence...

  If you want your current shell to get the new values,
  you have to do:  . file.sh

> Kindly mail me at venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com
>
> Regards
> Venkat.
-

* Re: newbie
  (?)
@ 2002-08-20  5:42 ` Riley Williams
From: Riley Williams @ 2002-08-20  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Venkat Raghu; +Cc: Linux Newbies

Hi Venkat.

> I have a bash script which modifies some environment variables and
> does some other housekeeping things. But problem is that when script
> finishes running, new values of environment variables are no longer
> visible in parent shell. So what should I do so that these new
> values are visible in parent.

Run your script using ". file.sh" or "source file.sh" to do that.

> I don't want to run as ". file.sh".
> I have to run it as "file.sh" only.

Unfortunately, if you run it as "file.sh" only, you start up a new
shell and lose the ability to change the settings in the parent shell.
This is a deliberate part of bash's design, and is to isolate the new
shell from the existing one so the new shell can make changes to
important environment variables to accomplish its task without causing
problems for later commands.

Another option would be for your script to drop the relevant commands
into the keyboard buffer for the parent shell to execute when the new
shell exits. Whilst that might be an interesting exercise, it's also a
pointless one when the needed functionality is already present.

If your script is one that you want executed every time you log in, then
include the relevant source command in ~/.bashrc and it will be loaded
at login time without problem.

Best wishes from Riley.

-

* newbie
@ 2002-08-19 22:30 ` Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-08-19 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-newbie, linuxprog, linux-support, redhat-list

Hi,

I have a bash script which modifies some environment
variables and does some other housekeeping things.
But problem is that when script finishes running,
new values of environment variables are no longer
visible in parent shell. So what should I do so that
these new values are visible in parent. I don't want
to run as ". file.sh". I have to run it as "file.sh"
only.

Kindly mail me at venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com

Regards
Venkat.

HotJobs - Search Thousands of New Jobs
http://www.hotjobs.com

* newbie
@ 2002-08-19 22:30 ` Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-08-19 22:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel; +Cc: linux-newbie, linuxprog, linux-support, redhat-list

       [not found] <15713.19246.732177.545746@cerise.nosuchdomain.co.uk>
@ 2002-08-19 21:51 ` Raghava Raju
From: Raghava Raju @ 2002-08-19 21:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin; +Cc: glynn.clements

I don't think "bind -f file" when called from a
script will work. Because when script exits
keymap will be back to original one. Child process
can't change environment of parent.

@ 2002-08-19 13:39 Kirkwood, David A
From: Kirkwood, David A @ 2002-08-19 13:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Raghava Raju', linux-admin

@ 2002-08-17 16:31 ` Glynn Clements
From: Glynn Clements @ 2002-08-17 16:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Raghava Raju; +Cc: linux-admin

Raghava Raju wrote:

> After doing stty erase "^B", it is not not erasing
> after I do ctrl-B.

What isn't erasing? bash?

> Is anything wrong the way I am doing, to set "^B"
> to be the erase key.

"stty erase ..." sets the erase key which is used by the kernel's tty
driver. It will work for programs which leave the tty in "cooked"
(ICANON) mode. Try running "cat" without arguments to check the
behaviour of the tty driver.

However, a program which sets the tty to "raw" mode will receive all
key codes immediately; if it wants line editing, it must implement it
itself. The GNU readline library (normally used by bash and several
other programs) does this, so you will probably need to configure
readline separately, via the ~/.inputrc file. See the readline(3)
manpage for details.

--

@ 2002-08-17  1:31 Venkat Raghu
From: Venkat Raghu @ 2002-08-17  1:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi

1) I want to know about termcap formats. For example
the control sequence for del is "^[[3~" . So how
to interpret it.

2) How will kernel decide keycodes, is it just based
on termcap file. But this file does't contain
exhaustive list of keycodes.

Please mail me at venkatraghu2002@yahoo.com, I did't

@ 2002-08-16 22:32 Raghava Raju
From: Raghava Raju @ 2002-08-16 22:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-admin

@ 2001-11-27  9:37 Tolga KILICLI
From: Tolga KILICLI @ 2001-11-27  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mtd

Hi,

What do you advice to someone who decided to work on mtds.
Actually I got my strataflash yesterday and i want to play. but
what else do i need? some burner? software tools?

thanks.

* Re: Newbie
@ 2000-11-15 17:10 richardj_moore
From: richardj_moore @ 2000-11-15 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aamir Dogar; +Cc: linux-kernel

Not even Intel can spell kernal [sic] - see 486 Programmer's reference -
description of protection mechanism.

BTW one of the enhancements to the Pentium was an improvement in the
spelling of kernel. :-)

Richard Moore -  RAS Project Lead - Linux Technology Centre (PISC).

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/linux
Office: (+44) (0)1962-817072, Mobile: (+44) (0)7768-298183
IBM UK Ltd,  MP135 Galileo Centre, Hursley Park, Winchester, SO21 2JN, UK

-

* Re: Newbie
@ 2000-11-15 16:43   ` John Levon
From: John Levon @ 2000-11-15 16:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tigran Aivazian; +Cc: Aamir Dogar, linux-kernel

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000, Tigran Aivazian wrote:

> b) read the resources mentioned in the
> /usr/src/linux/Documentation/kernel-docs.txt
>
> Regards,
> Tigran

Even better, just follow links from http://www.kernelnewbies.org/
which is a superset of this file (and links to the online version of it).

john

-

* Re: Newbie
@ 2000-11-15 16:09 ` Tigran Aivazian
From: Tigran Aivazian @ 2000-11-15 16:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Aamir Dogar; +Cc: linux-kernel

                  ~

                         ~

> could someone please let me know about this and about other useful info
> about kernal programming that can help me to start kernal programming.
            ~                                            ~

Hi Aamir,

There are two things you need to do, in this order:

a) learn how to spell the word "kernel" (absolutely essential :)

@ 2000-11-14  4:01 Aamir Dogar
From: Aamir Dogar @ 2000-11-14  4:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

Hi There,

i am new to kernal development.
i just need a good Kernal Programming-HowTo.
could someone please let me know about this and about other useful info
about kernal programming that can help me to start kernal programming.

thanks in advance
Aamir

-