* Initial Application
@ 2018-02-14  1:18 Katie Dunne
From: Katie Dunne @ 2018-02-14  1:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

Hi Vaishali and other mentors,

The introduction message says we need to fill out an initial application
before contributing. The outreachy website says we must make a
contribution before applying. There is a Linux Kernel landing page where
we must 'Record a Contribution' before we are given access to a link to
submit an application, e.g. 'Once you've recorded at least one
contribution, you can start your application for the project.' from the
following link:

https://www.outreachy.org/2018-may-august/communities/linux-kernel/migrate-nand-driver-to-new-exec_op-framework/contributions/

I take this to mean we have to have a patch accepted before we can start
an application. Let me know if that is incorrect.

Thanks,
Katie

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Initial Application
@ 2018-02-14  6:55 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-02-14  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katie Dunne; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Katie Dunne wrote:

> Hi Vaishali and other mentors,
>
> The introduction message says we need to fill out an initial application
> before contributing. The outreachy website says we must make a
> contribution before applying. There is a Linux Kernel landing page where
> we must 'Record a Contribution' before we are given access to a link to
> submit an application, e.g. 'Once you've recorded at least one
> contribution, you can start your application for the project.' from the
> following link:
>
> https://www.outreachy.org/2018-may-august/communities/linux-kernel/migrate-nand-driver-to-new-exec_op-framework/contributions/
>
> I take this to mean we have to have a patch accepted before we can start
> an application. Let me know if that is incorrect.

That is incorrect.  You must fill out an application first.  Where does it
say that you should make a contribution first?  If it is on our wiki, that
is something that we need to correct.

I think that the point is that now you start to fill out an application
without specifying what you are applying to.  I'll check on the page for
the nand driver.  Perhaps it is expressing things in the wrong way
(everything is new in this round...)

Thanks!
julia

@ 2018-02-14  7:48 ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-02-14  7:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katie Dunne; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Katie Dunne wrote:

> Hi Vaishali and other mentors,
>
> The introduction message says we need to fill out an initial application
> before contributing. The outreachy website says we must make a
> contribution before applying. There is a Linux Kernel landing page where
> we must 'Record a Contribution' before we are given access to a link to
> submit an application, e.g. 'Once you've recorded at least one
> contribution, you can start your application for the project.' from the
> following link:
>
> https://www.outreachy.org/2018-may-august/communities/linux-kernel/migrate-nand-driver-to-new-exec_op-framework/contributions/

I wasn't able to access this link directly.

I think that there is a problem with the "How to apply" section in
https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyApply.  It is quite out of order as
compared to the new process.  We will update this.  With respect to
something on the outreachy.org site, could you send a screenshot rather
than a URL of anything you find confusing?  Then we'll try to resolve it
with the Outreachy administration.  In any case, what you should do is

1. check eligibillity
2. work on the kernel tutorial
3. pick a project (or more than one - two more projects are expected to
be announced)
4. work on the relevant small tasks
5. complete your application with information about your contribution

Thanks very much for the feedback.

julia

@ 2018-02-14  8:43   ` Vaishali Thakkar
From: Vaishali Thakkar @ 2018-02-14  8:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Julia Lawall; +Cc: Katie Dunne, outreachy-kernel

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@lip6.fr> wrote:

> On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Katie Dunne wrote:
>
>> Hi Vaishali and other mentors,

Hi Katie,

Thanks for your email.

>> The introduction message says we need to fill out an initial application
>> before contributing. The outreachy website says we must make a
>> contribution before applying. There is a Linux Kernel landing page where
>> we must 'Record a Contribution' before we are given access to a link to
>> submit an application, e.g. 'Once you've recorded at least one
>> contribution, you can start your application for the project.' from the
>> following link:
>>
>> https://www.outreachy.org/2018-may-august/communities/linux-kernel/migrate-nand-driver-to-new-exec_op-framework/contributions/

It seems like there was a confusion between what we were being
told versus how actually process is implemented on Outreachy's
website. We will update the welcome message with details in
sometime after confirming.

Thanks!

> I wasn't able to access this link directly.
>
> I think that there is a problem with the "How to apply" section in
> https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyApply.  It is quite out of order as
> compared to the new process.  We will update this.  With respect to
> something on the outreachy.org site, could you send a screenshot rather
> than a URL of anything you find confusing?  Then we'll try to resolve it
> with the Outreachy administration.  In any case, what you should do is
>
> 1. check eligibillity
> 2. work on the kernel tutorial
> 3. pick a project (or more than one - two more projects are expected to
> be announced)
> 4. work on the relevant small tasks
> 5. complete your application with information about your contribution
>
> Thanks very much for the feedback.
>
> julia
>

>> I take this to mean we have to have a patch accepted before we can start
>> an application. Let me know if that is incorrect.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Katie
>>
>> --

Vaishali
http://vaishalithakkar.in/

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Initial Application
@ 2018-02-14 16:48     ` Katie Dunne
From: Katie Dunne @ 2018-02-14 16:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vaishali Thakkar; +Cc: Julia Lawall, outreachy-kernel

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 02:13:51PM +0530, Vaishali Thakkar wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 1:18 PM, Julia Lawall <julia.lawall@lip6.fr> wrote:
> >

> > On Tue, 13 Feb 2018, Katie Dunne wrote:
> >
> >> Hi Vaishali and other mentors,
>
> Hi Katie,
>
> Thanks for your email.
>
> >> The introduction message says we need to fill out an initial application
> >> before contributing. The outreachy website says we must make a
> >> contribution before applying. There is a Linux Kernel landing page where
> >> we must 'Record a Contribution' before we are given access to a link to
> >> submit an application, e.g. 'Once you've recorded at least one
> >> contribution, you can start your application for the project.' from the
> >> following link:
> >>
> >> https://www.outreachy.org/2018-may-august/communities/linux-kernel/migrate-nand-driver-to-new-exec_op-framework/contributions/
>
> It seems like there was a confusion between what we were being
> told versus how actually process is implemented on Outreachy's
> website. We will update the welcome message with details in
> sometime after confirming.
>
> Thanks!
>
> > I wasn't able to access this link directly.
> >
> > I think that there is a problem with the "How to apply" section in
> > https://kernelnewbies.org/OutreachyApply.  It is quite out of order as
> > compared to the new process.  We will update this.  With respect to
> > something on the outreachy.org site, could you send a screenshot rather
> > than a URL of anything you find confusing?  Then we'll try to resolve it
> > with the Outreachy administration.  In any case, what you should do is
> >
> > 1. check eligibillity
> > 2. work on the kernel tutorial
> > 3. pick a project (or more than one - two more projects are expected to
> > be announced)
> > 4. work on the relevant small tasks
> > 5. complete your application with information about your contribution
> >
> > Thanks very much for the feedback.
> >
> > julia
> >

> >> I take this to mean we have to have a patch accepted before we can start
> >> an application. Let me know if that is incorrect.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Katie
> >>
> >> --
> >>

> > --

> Vaishali
> http://vaishalithakkar.in/

Thanks Vaishali and Julia for the updates. In case it is still needed, I
have attached a pdf of the pages that are restricted until verifying
eligibility.

Katie

[-- Attachment #2: outreachy_page.pdf --]

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Initial Application
@ 2018-02-14 19:24       ` Julia Lawall
From: Julia Lawall @ 2018-02-14 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Katie Dunne; +Cc: Vaishali Thakkar, outreachy-kernel

> Thanks Vaishali and Julia for the updates. In case it is still needed, I
> have attached a pdf of the pages that are restricted until verifying
> eligibility.

To my understanding you should be able to check eligibility without making
a contribution, then see the projects, then work on the tutorial and then
the project small tasks, and the update your application accordingly with
the information for the specific projects you are interested in.

julia