* Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-02-28  8:23 Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2018-02-28  8:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: jgross

This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
would like to see in 4.11 so that people have an idea what is going on and
prioritise accordingly.

You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
working on.

= Timeline =

We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
year. The upcoming 4.11 timeline are as followed:

* Last posting date: March 16th, 2018
* Hard code freeze: March 30th, 2018
* RC1: TBD
* Release: June 1st, 2018

Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
that wish to go into 4.11 must be posted no later than the last posting
date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
into next release.

RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.

We recently introduced a jira instance to track all the tasks (not only big)
for the project. See: https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues.

Most of the tasks tracked by this e-mail also have a corresponding jira task
referred by XEN-N.

I have started to include the version number of series associated to each
feature. Can each owner send an update on the version number if the series
was posted upstream?

= Projects =

== Hypervisor ==

*  Per-cpu tasklet
  -  XEN-28
  -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk

=== x86 ===

*  guest resource mapping (v17)
  -  Paul Durrant

*  vNVDIMM support for HVM guest (RFC v4)
  -  XEN-45
  -  Haozhong Zhang

*  hypervisor x86 instruction emulator additions
  -  Jan Beulich

*  PV-IOMMU
  -  Paul Durrant

*  HVM guest CPU topology support (RFC)
  -  Chao Gao

*  Vixen: A PV-in-HVM shim (v3)
  -  Anthony Liguori

*  Intel Processor Trace virtualization enabling (v1)
  -  Luwei Kang

*  PCI config space emulation in Xen for PVH Dom0 (v8)
  -  Roger Paul Monné

=== ARM ===

*  SMMUv3 driver (RFC v4)
  -  Sameer Goel

*  IORT support (RFC)
  -  Manish Jaggi

*  Implement branch predictor hardening for affected Cortex-A CPUs (v1)
  -  Julien Grall

== Grub2 ==

*  Support PVH guest boot (v1)
  -  Juergen Gross

== Completed ==

=== x86 ===

*  Add dmops to allow use of VGA with restricted QEMU
  -  Ross Lagerwall

*  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen
  -  XEN-48
  -  Yi Sun

*  Comet: Run PV in PVH container
  -  Wei Liu

*  Mitigations for SP2/CVE-2017-5715/Branch Target Injection
  -  Andrew Cooper

*  Mitigations for Meltdown/CVE-2017-5754
  -  Jan Beulich

Juergen Gross

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-03-09 17:50 ` Dario Faggioli
From: Dario Faggioli @ 2018-03-09 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross, xen-devel

Hey Juergen,

On Wed, 2018-02-28 at 09:23 +0100, Juergen Gross wrote:
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.11 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 16th, 2018
> * Hard code freeze: March 30th, 2018
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: June 1st, 2018
>
> === x86 ===
>
> *  Mitigations for Meltdown/CVE-2017-5754
>   -  Jan Beulich

Now that this is done, are we committing to having your speedup series
in 4.11 as well? I think we should.

Maybe it could even be a blocker, considering how big the performance
impact is (and the fact that the series is already there ;-P).

Regards,
Dario
Software Engineer @ SUSE https://www.suse.com/

* Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-03-19  5:49 Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2018-03-19  5:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: jgross

This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
would like to see in 4.11 so that people have an idea what is going on and
prioritise accordingly.

You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
working on.

= Timeline =

We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
year. The upcoming 4.11 timeline are as followed:

* Last posting date: March 16th, 2018
  We are here
* Hard code freeze: March 30th, 2018
* RC1: TBD
* Release: June 1st, 2018

Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. We are not
accepting new features any more for Xen 4.11 now.
Patche series pending will need to be committed before March 30th, 2018 to
make it into 4.11.
All other patches will be automatically queued into next release.

[...]

*  hypervisor x86 instruction emulator additions (v4)
  -  Jan Beulich

*  PV-IOMMU
  -  Paul Durrant

*  HVM guest CPU topology support (RFC)
  -  Chao Gao

*  Vixen: A PV-in-HVM shim (v3)
  -  Anthony Liguori

*  Intel Processor Trace virtualization enabling (v1)
  -  Luwei Kang

*  PCI config space emulation in Xen for PVH Dom0 (v8)
  -  Roger Paul Monné

*  XPTI speedup (v2)
  -  Juergen Gross

=== ARM ===

*  SMMUv3 driver (RFC v4)
  -  Sameer Goel

*  IORT support (RFC)
  -  Manish Jaggi

*  Implement branch predictor hardening for affected Cortex-A CPUs (v1)
  -  Julien Grall

*  New VGIC(-v2) implementation (v1)
  -  Andre Przywara

== Grub2 ==

*  Support PVH guest boot (v1)
  -  Juergen Gross

== Completed ==

=== x86 ===

*  Add dmops to allow use of VGA with restricted QEMU
  -  Ross Lagerwall

*  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen
  -  XEN-48
  -  Yi Sun

*  Comet: Run PV in PVH container
  -  Wei Liu

*  Mitigations for SP2/CVE-2017-5715/Branch Target Injection
  -  Andrew Cooper

*  Mitigations for Meltdown/CVE-2017-5754
  -  Jan Beulich

Juergen Gross

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-02-01 14:04 ` Andrew Cooper
From: Andrew Cooper @ 2018-02-01 14:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross, xen-devel

On 31/01/18 06:57, Juergen Gross wrote:
> *  per-CPU/L4-shadowing (fairly-RFC)
>   -  Andrew Cooper

Probably best to drop this from the list.  Given the technical
complications, it may never go in.

> *  Mitigations for SP2/CVE-2017-5715/Branch Target Injection (v7)
>   -  Andrew Cooper

Now committed.  Follow-on work for perf/usability improvements in
progress, but it is probably not worth tracking those individually.

~Andrew

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-02-01  1:39   ` Yi Sun
From: Yi Sun @ 2018-02-01  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: Juergen Gross, xen-devel

On 18-01-31 02:57:32, Jan Beulich wrote:
> > === x86 ===
> >
> > *  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen (v10)
> >   -  XEN-48
> >   -  Yi Sun
>
> I think this has all gone in, the tools parts a little less than two weeks
> ago.

Yes, all patches have been merged into master branch.

> Jan

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-01-31 11:24 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2018-01-31 11:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 07:57:51AM +0100, Juergen Gross wrote:
> *  Comet: Run PV in PVH container (v2)
>   -  Wei Liu

This is committed some time ago.

Wei.

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-01-31  9:57 ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-01-31  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel, Yi Sun

>>> On 31.01.18 at 07:57, <jgross@suse.com> wrote:
> === x86 ===
>
> *  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen (v10)
>   -  XEN-48
>   -  Yi Sun

I think this has all gone in, the tools parts a little less than two weeks
ago.

Jan

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-01-31  9:18 ` Ross Lagerwall
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Ross Lagerwall @ 2018-01-31  9:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel

On 01/31/2018 06:57 AM, Juergen Gross wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> would like to see in 4.11 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.

snip>
> *  Mitigations for SP2/CVE-2017-5715/Branch Target Injection (v7)
>    -  Andrew Cooper
>
> *  Vixen: A PV-in-HVM shim (v3)
>    -  Anthony Liguori
>
> *  Add dmops to allow use of VGA with restricted QEMU (v3)
>    -  Ross Lagerwall

v4 has been sent and committed.

Ross Lagerwall

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-01-31  9:17 ` Roger Pau Monné
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Roger Pau Monné @ 2018-01-31  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel

On Wed, Jan 31, 2018 at 07:57:51AM +0100, Juergen Gross wrote:
> === x86 ===

*  PCI config space emulation in Xen for PVH Dom0 (v8)
    -  Roger Pau Monné

https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2018-01/msg02042.html

Thanks, Roger.

* Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-01-31  6:57 Juergen Gross
                   ` (4 more replies)
From: Juergen Gross @ 2018-01-31  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: jgross

[...]

*  Intel Processor Trace virtulization enabling (v1)
  -  Luwei Kang

@ 2018-01-08 12:35   ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2018-01-08 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Wei Liu; +Cc: xen-devel

On 08/01/18 13:29, Wei Liu wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 05, 2018 at 10:16:38AM +0100, Juergen Gross wrote:
>> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
>> would like to see in 4.11 so that people have an idea what is going on and
>> prioritise accordingly.
>>
>> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
>> working on.
>>
>> = Timeline =
>>
>> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
>> year. The upcoming 4.11 timeline are as followed:
>>
>> * Last posting date: March 16th, 2018
>> * Hard code freeze: March 30th, 2018
>> * RC1: TBD
>> * Release: June 1st, 2018
>>
>> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
>> that wish to go into 4.11 must be posted no later than the last posting
>> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
>> into next release.
>>
>> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>>
>> We recently introduced a jira instance to track all the tasks (not only big)
>> for the project. See: https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues.
>>
>> Most of the tasks tracked by this e-mail also have a corresponding jira task
>> referred by XEN-N.
>>
>> I have started to include the version number of series associated to each
>> feature. Can each owner send an update on the version number if the series
>> was posted upstream?
>>
>> = Projects =
>>
>> == Hypervisor ==
>>
>> *  Per-cpu tasklet
>>   -  XEN-28
>>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>>
>> === x86 ===
>>
>> *  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen (v10)
>>   -  XEN-48
>>   -  Yi Sun
>
> Almost done -- waiting for me to commit toolstack patches.
>
> And track Mitigation (various series) for all the recent security
> issues?
>
> They should be blockers for 4.11 IMHO.

Absolutely. I'll add those, but I hope we won't need all of them.

Juergen

@ 2018-01-08 12:29 ` Wei Liu
From: Wei Liu @ 2018-01-08 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel, Wei Liu

       [not found] ` <5A4F542E020000780019B49A@suse.com>
@ 2018-01-05 10:29 ` Paul Durrant
From: Paul Durrant @ 2018-01-05 10:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> would like to see in 4.11 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.11 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 16th, 2018
> * Hard code freeze: March 30th, 2018
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: June 1st, 2018
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.11 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> We recently introduced a jira instance to track all the tasks (not only big)
> for the project. See: https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues.
>
> Most of the tasks tracked by this e-mail also have a corresponding jira task
> referred by XEN-N.
>
> I have started to include the version number of series associated to each
> feature. Can each owner send an update on the version number if the series
> was posted upstream?
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Per-cpu tasklet
>   -  XEN-28
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>
> === x86 ===
>
> *  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen (v10)
>   -  XEN-48
>   -  Yi Sun
>
> *  guest resource mapping (v17)
>   -  Paul Durrant

Could you also add PV-IOMMU here? I do have some preliminary patches and have successfully tested a dom0 with a 1:1 GFN:BFN mapping set up using the new hypercalls, so I expect to post something in time for 4.11.

Thanks,

  Paul

@ 2018-01-05 10:24     ` Jan Beulich
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-01-05 10:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel

>>> On 05.01.18 at 10:57, <jgross@suse.com> wrote:
> On 05/01/18 10:32, Jan Beulich wrote:
>> Another x86 item are the emulator additions to support post-AVX
>> insns and some other, earlier ones we don't have support for
>> yet. The main parts of that series have now been pending review
>> for over half a year, I think. I do realize that the recently
>> published news have had a meaningful impact on the bandwidth
>> available for review here, but to be honest I'm not very positive
>> that the situation would be much different if those issues hadn't
>> been there. Once I get into the position to do the AVX512 work,
>> I don't even want to think of how long its review may then take.
>
> Can I add you for being responsible?

Of course.

Jan

@ 2018-01-05  9:57   ` Juergen Gross
From: Juergen Gross @ 2018-01-05  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jan Beulich; +Cc: xen-devel

>> === x86 ===
>>
>> *  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen (v10)
>>   -  XEN-48
>>   -  Yi Sun
>>
>> *  guest resource mapping (v17)
>>   -  Paul Durrant
>>
>> *  vNVDIMM support for HVM guest (RFC v4)
>>   -  XEN-45
>>   -  Haozhong Zhang
>>
>> *  SMMUv3 driver (RFC v4)
>>   -  Sameer Goel
>
> I don't think this is x86, but ARM.

Right, that was just an error in my script for generating the mail.

> I think the PV-shim and per-CPU/L4-shadowing work would now
> also belong on this list.

Yep.

> Another x86 item are the emulator additions to support post-AVX
> insns and some other, earlier ones we don't have support for
> yet. The main parts of that series have now been pending review
> for over half a year, I think. I do realize that the recently
> published news have had a meaningful impact on the bandwidth
> available for review here, but to be honest I'm not very positive
> that the situation would be much different if those issues hadn't
> been there. Once I get into the position to do the AVX512 work,
> I don't even want to think of how long its review may then take.

Can I add you for being responsible?

> I don't think it is the right time to propose a (perhaps somewhat
> radical/controversial) solution to this, but once things have
> calmed down, I think I will have to do so. Otoh those recent
> events may mean that not much other development work will be
> possible to be completed anyway by mid of March.

Why don't you post your proposal now? Even if the discussion will
be a bit slower due to current activities maybe the additional time
to think about your idea could help.

Thanks for the notes,

Juergen

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-01-05  9:56 ` Manish Jaggi
From: Manish Jaggi @ 2018-01-05  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel

Hello Juergen,

On 5 January 2018 at 14:46, Juergen Gross <jgross@suse.com> wrote:
> This email only tracks big items for xen.git tree. Please reply for items you
> would like to see in 4.11 so that people have an idea what is going on and
> prioritise accordingly.
>
> You're welcome to provide description and use cases of the feature you're
> working on.
>
> = Timeline =
>
> We now adopt a fixed cut-off date scheme. We will release twice a
> year. The upcoming 4.11 timeline are as followed:
>
> * Last posting date: March 16th, 2018
> * Hard code freeze: March 30th, 2018
> * RC1: TBD
> * Release: June 1st, 2018
>
> Note that we don't have freeze exception scheme anymore. All patches
> that wish to go into 4.11 must be posted no later than the last posting
> date. All patches posted after that date will be automatically queued
> into next release.
>
> RCs will be arranged immediately after freeze.
>
> We recently introduced a jira instance to track all the tasks (not only big)
> for the project. See: https://xenproject.atlassian.net/projects/XEN/issues.
>
> Most of the tasks tracked by this e-mail also have a corresponding jira task
> referred by XEN-N.
>
> I have started to include the version number of series associated to each
> feature. Can each owner send an update on the version number if the series
> was posted upstream?
>
> = Projects =
>
> == Hypervisor ==
>
> *  Per-cpu tasklet
>   -  XEN-28
>   -  Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
>
> === x86 ===
>
> *  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen (v10)
>   -  XEN-48
>   -  Yi Sun
>
> *  guest resource mapping (v17)
>   -  Paul Durrant
>
> *  vNVDIMM support for HVM guest (RFC v4)
>   -  XEN-45
>   -  Haozhong Zhang
>
> *  SMMUv3 driver (RFC v4)
>   -  Sameer Goel
>
> == Grub2 ==
>
> *  Support PVH guest boot (v1)
>   -  Juergen Gross

Please add arm: IORT support for Xen as a candidate for 4.11
I have posted RFC [1]
This patchset corresponds to XEN70 / Xen74 Jira Tasks.

[1] https://lists.xenproject.org/archives/html/xen-devel/2018-01/msg00007.html

-Manish Jaggi

> Juergen Gross

* Re: Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-01-05  9:32 ` Jan Beulich
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Jan Beulich @ 2018-01-05  9:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juergen Gross; +Cc: xen-devel

>>> On 05.01.18 at 10:16, <jgross@suse.com> wrote:
> === x86 ===
>
> *  Enable Memory Bandwidth Allocation in Xen (v10)
>   -  XEN-48
>   -  Yi Sun
>
> *  guest resource mapping (v17)
>   -  Paul Durrant
>
> *  vNVDIMM support for HVM guest (RFC v4)
>   -  XEN-45
>   -  Haozhong Zhang
>
> *  SMMUv3 driver (RFC v4)
>   -  Sameer Goel

I don't think this is x86, but ARM.

I think the PV-shim and per-CPU/L4-shadowing work would now
also belong on this list.

Another x86 item are the emulator additions to support post-AVX
insns and some other, earlier ones we don't have support for
yet. The main parts of that series have now been pending review
for over half a year, I think. I do realize that the recently
published news have had a meaningful impact on the bandwidth
available for review here, but to be honest I'm not very positive
that the situation would be much different if those issues hadn't
been there. Once I get into the position to do the AVX512 work,
I don't even want to think of how long its review may then take.

I don't think it is the right time to propose a (perhaps somewhat
radical/controversial) solution to this, but once things have
calmed down, I think I will have to do so. Otoh those recent
events may mean that not much other development work will be
possible to be completed anyway by mid of March.

Jan

* Xen 4.11 Development Update
@ 2018-01-05  9:16 Juergen Gross
                   ` (4 more replies)