* Re: [MPTCP] [Weekly meetings] MoM - 8th of March 2018
@ 2018-03-08 20:49 Christoph Paasch
From: Christoph Paasch @ 2018-03-08 20:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

Hello Matthieu,

thanks for setting this up. A comment inline:

On 08/03/18 - 19:39:22, Matthieu Baerts wrote:
> [...]
> 	We should work on both sides: modify TCP stack to help for the introduction
> of MPTCP and modify MPTCP to fit with these changes.
> 	We should also try to do modifications on the current MPTCP code as well.
> Of course if it is possible, sometimes it is better to work without it to
> stay generic.
> 	It could be good to share code as soon as possible, even if it is not
> ready, more to share the concept. Working as a team.
>

> Could we draw a kind of roadmap? Not really for fixing dates - something
> maybe impossible in our way of working - but to have an overview of the work
> we still need to do.
>
> 	Hard to draw something. We have big points (skb' size, API, meta-lock,
> etc.) but we need to get feedback from netdev to know what's next.
>

> Discussion with netdev: it seems it is not clear what netdev maintainer and
> main contributors would like to have. On the other hand, it seems clear they
> would like to see MPTCP coming but not as it is. How can get more input from
> them not to work on something they would not like?  Rao proposed to send
> patches of the design to get comments. Is it the only possibility? Is it
> possible to initiate longer discussions with them about how to upstream
> MPTCP?
>
> 	After the first feedback we got from David Miller about the TCP options
> framework, it looks difficult for us to introduce any new extensions. He
> maybe wants to see what would be the implementation without the abstraction.
> Adding new abstractions for nothing will not be accepted.
>
> 	For the TCP options framework, MPTCP was also mentioned, maybe not the good
> thing. On the other hand, the framework was already useful (e.g. for TCP
> MD5). Maybe not posted at the best moment, lack of people reacting to these
> patches.
> 	Ossama proposed to add data: perf are still the same, etc. It can indeed
> help, sometimes difficult to know if they are interested by some changes,
> especially when they are in the core system.
> 	Would be easier if the modifications where not in the core system, if MPTCP
> was on top of KCM or ULP but not really possible for MPTCP.
> 	Note that it doesn't look like a clear NO. Maybe more discussions about
> that could help.
> 	Maybe they don't see MPTCP as something asked by many people. But MPTCP is
> used by many people everyday in the world (iOS, Android in South-Korea,
> Internet Hybrid)
>

> Concrete next steps:
>
> 	- Mat's team: working with the PM netlink.
>  	- Mat: incoming skb with DSS on them. Having a generic POC to share
> 	- Christoph: new stable release based on 4.14 upstream release. Mid-term
> goal: working on the meta-socket lock. Can prevent MPTCP to be on a
> completely separated area. It includes: consolidate all areas where the
> subflow receives something and need to interact with the meta-socket. Then
> we would be able to reduce the lock at the subflow level.

I want to clarify this. My goal is to avoid the following (sprinkled all
over the TCP-stack):

struct sock *meta_sk = mptcp(tp) ? mptcp_meta_sk(sk) : sk;
bh_lock_sock(meta_sk);
if (sock_owned_by_user(meta_sk)) {
[...]

And revert this back to the original TCP behavior.

This will allow a cleaner layer-separation between MPTCP/meta layer and
TCP-subflows.

Christoph

@ 2018-03-08 18:39 Matthieu Baerts
From: Matthieu Baerts @ 2018-03-08 18:39 UTC (permalink / raw)