* Re: [MPTCP] Restructuring of TCP code for implementing MPTCP
@ 2018-03-09 22:38 Christoph Paasch
From: Christoph Paasch @ 2018-03-09 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On 09/03/18 - 14:19:54, Mat Martineau wrote:

> Hi Rao -
>
> On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, Rao Shoaib wrote:
>
> > Hi Folks,
> >
> > When we met with David Miller and Eric Dumazet about a year ago to
> > discuss how to include MPTCP in the main Linux distribution, they wanted
> > to have some code that could be evaluated and used at the basis for
> > discussion.
> >
> > The patches that I have submitted are for starting that discussion only
> > and nothing else. If the approach is acceptable we can do more cleanup,
> > If not we will have a discussion and hopefully agree on something.
> >
> > I would like to send the patches, perhaps a week from now to the netdev
> > mailing list to start a discussion there and come up with a plan to
> > implement MPTCP.
> >
> > Comments/Suggestions ?
> >

> I saw that you posted some questions on netdev this week and got some
> maintainer feedback: https://marc.info/?t=152039384300002&r=1&w=2
>
> David mentions:
>
> """
> Indirect calls are terrible and we are now looking at ways in which
> we can remove them from as many parts of the networking as possible.
> """
>
> It's not immediately clear which techniques are being looked at (and both
> Eric and David did not elaborate when you followed up). I'm trying to find
> out which alternatives he's referring to - anyone else seen information on
> this?

I haven't seen/heard about anything, but also would love to know more about
it.

Christoph

* Re: [MPTCP] Restructuring of TCP code for implementing MPTCP
@ 2018-03-09 23:25 Rao Shoaib
From: Rao Shoaib @ 2018-03-09 23:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

On 03/09/2018 03:01 PM, Rao Shoaib wrote:

> On 03/09/2018 02:19 PM, Mat Martineau wrote:
>>
>> Hi Rao -
>>
>> On Thu, 22 Feb 2018, Rao Shoaib wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Folks,
>>>
>>> When we met with David Miller and Eric Dumazet about a year ago to
>>> discuss how to include MPTCP in the main Linux distribution, they
>>> wanted to have some code that could be evaluated and used at the
>>> basis for discussion.
>>>
>>> The patches that I have submitted are for starting that discussion
>>> only and nothing else. If the approach is acceptable we can do more
>>> cleanup, If not we will have a discussion and hopefully agree on
>>> something.
>>>
>>> I would like to send the patches, perhaps a week from now to the
>>> netdev mailing list to start a discussion there and come up with a
>>> plan to implement MPTCP.
>>>
>>> Comments/Suggestions ?
>>>

>> I saw that you posted some questions on netdev this week and got some
>> maintainer feedback: https://marc.info/?t=152039384300002&r=1&w=2
>>
>> David mentions:
>>
>> """
>> Indirect calls are terrible and we are now looking at ways in which
>> we can remove them from as many parts of the networking as possible.
>> """
>>
> Yes against all objections I did post to net-dev and got some very
> informative answers. David is not allowing indirect function calls
> because of the security issues. You should see the comments that Linus
> has made about the fixes and folks asking for an alternative as they
> are heavily used.
>
> https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/01/22/intel_spectre_fix_linux/
Sorry wrong url -- See

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=16066968

Edit: To give a bit more background, predicting indirect calls and
speculating into them is absolutely critical to getting good performance
from OOP-ish code which tends to use them a lot (virtual functions in
C++, function pointers in C). *The Linux kernel is (thankfully?) not
very OOP-ish, but it does rely on indirect calls (function pointers)
extensively.

*Rao*.
*

>> It's not immediately clear which techniques are being looked at (and
>> both Eric and David did not elaborate when you followed up). I'm
>> trying to find out which alternatives he's referring to - anyone else
>> seen information on this?
> Nope. It's not clear what the solution will be, but that should not
> have any impact on the patch that we submitted. As a simple fix we can
> add if/else as there are only two ways to go.
>
> Please see my email and comment.
>
> Rao.
>
>> Regards,
>>
>> --
>> Mat Martineau
>> Intel OTC

[-- Attachment #2: attachment.html --]
[-- Type: text/html, Size: 4701 bytes --]

* Re: [MPTCP] Restructuring of TCP code for implementing MPTCP
@ 2018-03-09 23:01 Rao Shoaib
From: Rao Shoaib @ 2018-03-09 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mptcp

@ 2018-03-09 22:19 Mat Martineau