* [Xenomai] Upgrading xenomai-3 patches in existing xenomai kernel
@ 2018-03-23 13:36 Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-03-23 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Hi,

I just came across a situation about Xenomai upgrade, and wanted to
know your opinion.

Some 4 months back, I applied Xenomai-3 (and ipipe) patches to my x86
kernel 4.9.51, using the prepare_kernel script, and I am using it
since then.

But, now I wanted to upgrade to latest Xenomai kernel patches from
Xenomai-3 git.
Can I simply cherrypick the patches from Xenomai and apply to my Kernel ?
I guess the folder structures are different, so I guess it may not work cleanly.

So, what is the best way to apply the latest Xenomai Kernel patches,
on to existing Xenomai converted kernel repo, without disturbing the
previously applied patches ?

If there is any standard procedure you follow, please let me know.

Thanks,
Pintu

* Re: [Xenomai] Upgrading xenomai-3 patches in existing xenomai kernel
@ 2018-03-23 13:44 ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2018-03-23 13:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

Am Fri, 23 Mar 2018 19:06:30 +0530
schrieb Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com>:

> Hi,
>
> I just came across a situation about Xenomai upgrade, and wanted to
> know your opinion.
>
> Some 4 months back, I applied Xenomai-3 (and ipipe) patches to my x86
> kernel 4.9.51, using the prepare_kernel script, and I am using it
> since then.

You will need an ipipe-enabled kernel anyways. Prepare kernel will just
install the xenomai-bits.
If you do not want to use an ipipe-kernel from upstream you can
rebase/merge the ipipe branch (in your case 4.9.y) onto/into your
kernel. All that should be under version control. Prepare-kernel is a
build step and should be done on a clean working copy when building.

Henning

@ 2018-03-23 15:58   ` Pintu Kumar
From: Pintu Kumar @ 2018-03-23 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Henning Schild; +Cc: Xenomai@xenomai.org

On Fri, Mar 23, 2018 at 7:14 PM, Henning Schild
<henning.schild@siemens.com> wrote:
> Am Fri, 23 Mar 2018 19:06:30 +0530
> schrieb Pintu Kumar <pintu.ping@gmail.com>:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just came across a situation about Xenomai upgrade, and wanted to
>> know your opinion.
>>
>> Some 4 months back, I applied Xenomai-3 (and ipipe) patches to my x86
>> kernel 4.9.51, using the prepare_kernel script, and I am using it
>> since then.
>
> You will need an ipipe-enabled kernel anyways. Prepare kernel will just
> install the xenomai-bits.
> If you do not want to use an ipipe-kernel from upstream you can
> rebase/merge the ipipe branch (in your case 4.9.y) onto/into your
> kernel. All that should be under version control. Prepare-kernel is a
> build step and should be done on a clean working copy when building.

Yah, I can apply ipipe changes separately using the git command.
I guess that should work on top of existing ipipe changes already applied.

But I don't want to upgrade ipipe patches, since it is already latest.
My main concerns is about applying/upgrading xenomai driver/cobalt changes.
Should I use prepare_kernel for that (without ipipe option) ?
OR, should I download the commits and apply directly to the kernel in
normal way?
What is the right option, so that all future upgrades can be done
easily, just like normal kernel?
I think we should think about it and find some best way?
May be something like: scripts/upgrade_xenomai

@ 2018-03-23 16:22     ` Greg Gallagher
From: Greg Gallagher @ 2018-03-23 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pintu Kumar, Henning Schild; +Cc: xenomai

When you run the prepare_kernel script add the flag --verbose. If you have ipipe patches already applied to your kernel you should see a message about ipipe patches have already been applied. It will just add the new Xenomai bits.

Greg

@ 2018-03-23 17:10       ` Henning Schild
From: Henning Schild @ 2018-03-23 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Gallagher; +Cc: xenomai

My conservative approach is to "git clean -dfx" the kernel tree every
single time and "preapre-kernel" again, from the new xenomai repo.

The rebuild will take time, you will have to back-up your config etc.

If you want to safe build-time and still be conservative, i would
"prepare-kernel.sh --outpatch=". That guy can be applied and reverted
i.e. with git. So you can unpatch and repatch your kernel without
loosing configs and build results.

I do not know how smart prepare-kernel.sh is, but i can imagine it
might eventually end up in a "merge" situation, where things could go
wrong. So i prefer the tools i know to avoid surprises.

Henning