* Git Question
@ 2018-03-29  1:49 Mark Wartman
From: Mark Wartman @ 2018-03-29  1:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Hello,

I am currently running git version 2.10.1 (Apple Git-78).  When I run git config —list:   it returns
credential.helper-osxkeychain
filter.lfs.clean=git=lfs clean — %f
filter.lfs.smudge=git-lfs smudge — %f
filter.lfs.process=git-lfs filter-process
filter.lfs.required=true
user.name=markwartman1
user.email=markwartman@d2l.lonestar.edu

I am following this tutorial and I expected to only see user.name & user.email, so what are the filters.lfs’s and the credential.helper?  Should I ignore them, or try to get rid of them?  Please advise.

What is the best way to upgrade to a newer stable version of git?

Thanks,

Mark

* Re: Git Question
@ 2018-03-29  1:58 ` Taylor Blau
       [not found]   ` <15759EC4-0867-44B3-995D-6EC121A6EC4C@gmail.com>
From: Taylor Blau @ 2018-03-29  1:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wartman; +Cc: git

On Wed, Mar 28, 2018 at 08:49:19PM -0500, Mark Wartman wrote:
> I am following this tutorial and I expected to only see user.name &
> user.email, so what are the filters.lfs’s and the credential.helper?
> Should I ignore them, or try to get rid of them?  Please advise.

The `filter.lfs` configuration is set by Git LFS [1] in order to
correctly filter large files into your working copy.

You can safely ignore these, or remove them if you are not using Git
LFS.

> What is the best way to upgrade to a newer stable version of git?

On macOS, you can use Homebrew [2] to install any version of Git.
Install the latest via:

  brew update && brew install git

Thanks,
Taylor

[1]: https://git-lfs.github.com
[2]: https://brew.sh

* Re: Git Question
       [not found]   ` <15759EC4-0867-44B3-995D-6EC121A6EC4C@gmail.com>
@ 2018-04-01  3:15     ` Taylor Blau
From: Taylor Blau @ 2018-04-01  3:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Wartman; +Cc: git

On Sat, Mar 31, 2018 at 09:06:53PM -0500, Mark Wartman wrote:
> I saw this pretty exhaustive .gitignore list that a GitHub Help page
> linked to: 9257657 <https://gist.github.com/octocat/9257657> .  Are
> these configurations from the list something one should install on the
> User/global level, or do you recommend managing it in each and every
> project repository?

If those appear helpful for your project(s), then sure; but this is up
to you.

> Concerning these items below, when I said I get these when running a:
> git config —list
>
> credential.helper-osxkeychain
> filter.lfs.clean=git=lfs clean — %f
> filter.lfs.smudge=git-lfs smudge — %f
> filter.lfs.process=git-lfs filter-process
> filter.lfs.required=true
>
> I suspect that the GitHub GUI tool has installed them.  Do you find
> that possible?  I ask because I did not write them.

Yes, I believe that GitHub Desktop runs 'git lfs install', which adds
these to your configuration.

Thanks,
Taylor

* Re: GIT Question
@ 2016-01-22 17:58         ` Santiago Torres
From: Santiago Torres @ 2016-01-22 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Draggs, Tori; +Cc: Johannes Schindelin, git

On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 05:22:16PM +0000, Draggs, Tori wrote:
> I apologize, however my intent in reaching out was not to seek free of cost help desk services.

Don't worry, just use reply to all so everyone can see and chime in if
they can help.

> > Hi.  I am able to pull up Visual Studio Code.  But none of my local
> > files.  I tried using the magnifying glass as well as the Go To feature
> > and when performing a search I am informed that the file is not found.

I see you were able to run git log, what do you see in it? as it might
shed some light on what happened.

-Santiago.

* RE: GIT Question
@ 2016-01-22 17:22       ` Draggs, Tori
From: Draggs, Tori @ 2016-01-22 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johannes Schindelin; +Cc: git

I apologize, however my intent in reaching out was not to seek free of cost help desk services.  After speaking with Apple they suggested that I contact both Git and Code developers for feedback on the commands I used prior to the potential file removal.

I appreciate your assistance thus far and will reach out to the mailing list as you've described below.  Again thank you for your time and have a good day.

From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2016-01-22 17:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Draggs, Tori; +Cc: git

@ 2016-01-22 16:51 ` Johannes Schindelin
       [not found]   ` <1E23015B9294604195E5EBA53602E115FCF59F@WDC-VMAILBOXP25.smrcy.com>
From: Johannes Schindelin @ 2016-01-22 16:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Draggs, Tori; +Cc: git

Hi Tori,

On Wed, 20 Jan 2016, Draggs, Tori wrote:

> Specs:
> MacBook Pro
> OS X Yosemite
> 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GN 1600 MHz DDR3
>
> After selecting the Git option in a recent install of Visual Studio Code
> 2015 for MAC, my filesystem was removed.

Can you call Visual Studio Code? If so, the filesystem was definitely not
removed, so that's good news.

> I can no longer access any of the local files stored on my machine.

The most likely cause is that you are now looking somewhere else than
where the files are actually. Could you use the magnifying glass on the
upper right hand corner to search for a file name of the files you had
previously?

Ciao,
Johannes

* GIT Question
@ 2016-01-20 21:28 Draggs, Tori
From: Draggs, Tori @ 2016-01-20 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: git

Specs:
MacBook Pro
OS X Yosemite
2.6 GHz Intel Core i5, 8GN 1600 MHz DDR3

After selecting the Git option in a recent install of Visual Studio Code 2015 for MAC, my filesystem was removed. I can no longer access any of the local files stored on my machine. After researching many blogs/websites to no avail I am reaching out to you.  I contacted Apple Support who instructed me to contact the developers for GIT.

I am a struggling college student interested in a development career. After spending nearly a year to save up for my laptop - seeing everything gone after a few lines of code is more than devastating.  I am new to GIT and am overwhelmed by the breadth of information available.  If you could share your expertise and guide me to a resource that may address this issue I would be so very grateful.  This is my first real project and I was trying to get myself set up with Visual Studio Code 2015 for Mac.  I know that is not your concern, so getting back to my inquiry - specifically I am looking for information on rolling back a possible commit that removed my entire MacBook Pro file system. I have the .bash_history and am including it below.

git
git status
git log
git rm
git rm -r
--r
git -r
--r git
git
git diff
git log
git status
git log -diff-filter=D -summary
git log -diff-filter=D -summary
git log -diff-filter=D -author=Parent -summary
gitcheckout <commit>~1 (I believe this is where things exploded)
git fsck -lost-found
ls  .git/lost-found/other
ls.git/lost-found/other
git fsck -lost-found ls .git/lost-found/other
git stash
git pull -rebase
git stash pop
git reflog
git checkout -b branch-name c3a4103
git fsck -lost-found ls unreachable
open .git/lost-found/other
cd .git/lost-found/othergit cat-file -p c3a4103
git rm -rf
git reset -hard
git resert -hard
--help
Help
Restore
--restore

--While there is more I don't believe it will assist with your investigation.  If the full file is needed, I would be more than happy to forward it to your attention.

Thank you again for your time and expertise.

Tori Draggs
Tori.draggs@mercy.net
Techgeek2013@gmail.com
Github: https://github.com/gnugal314

@ 2012-02-02 19:57   ` Mark Hounschell
From: Mark Hounschell @ 2012-02-02 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Stone; +Cc: Linux-kernel

On 02/02/2012 02:49 PM, Jack Stone wrote:

> On 02/02/12 19:41, Mark Hounschell wrote:
>> It's been a while but this used to work.
>>
>> # git clone
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hpa/linux-2.6-allstable.git
>>

> Cloning into linux-2.6-allstable...
>> fatal: The remote end hung up unexpectedly
>>
>> Google showed nothing helpful? Where do I go. I need to bisect
>> from 2.6.38 to 2.6.39
>>

> That repo has been deleted. The full list is available at:
>
> git.kernel.org
>
> If you want to bisect 2.6.38 ->  2.6.39 then I sugest you try :
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>
> Which is Linus' official repo. If you want to bisect from 2.6.38.x ->
> something else then you will have to try the stable repo, I think the
> following will help:
>
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git
>
> The only thing to be careful of is that 2.6.39.x is not a direct
> decendant of 2.6.38.x, but it is a direct decentant of 2.6.38: the
> stable trees have patches added in parallel.
>
> Hope this helps,

Yes it does. Thank you very much.

Mark

* Re: git question
@ 2012-02-02 19:49 ` Jack Stone
From: Jack Stone @ 2012-02-02 19:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: markh; +Cc: Linux-kernel

* git question
@ 2012-02-02 19:41 Mark Hounschell
From: Mark Hounschell @ 2012-02-02 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Linux-kernel

It's been a while but this used to work.

# git clone
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/hpa/linux-2.6-allstable.git
Cloning into linux-2.6-allstable...

Google showed nothing helpful? Where do I go. I need to bisect from
2.6.38 to 2.6.39

Thanks
Mark

* git question
@ 2012-01-24  5:11 ` Tirtha Ghosh
From: Tirtha Ghosh @ 2012-01-24  5:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

if you want to merge the whole branch..use git merge (
http://book.git-scm.com/3_basic_branching_and_merging.html ). You might get
some conflicts..resolve them, add them and continue with git merge.

On other hands, if you want to get only some of the commits and not the
whole branch...you can use git cherry-pick (
http://wiki.koha-community.org/wiki/Using_Git_Cherry_Pick ). You still
might get some conflicts..resolve and add them and use "git commit -c
<commit id>"

Links provided are good to follow.

regards,
Tirtha

On Tue, Jan 24, 2012 at 4:32 AM, chromaticwt zac <zac.3.14159@gmail.com>wrote:

> I have a git question regarding the linux kernel. I have cloned
> linux-stable. I want to merge fs/btrfs from another tree into my
> linux-stable repo. how can I do this?

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* git question
@ 2012-01-23 23:02 chromaticwt zac
From: chromaticwt zac @ 2012-01-23 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

@ 2012-01-11 12:22         ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2012-01-11 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Kleine-Budde; +Cc: linux-can

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 12:28:21PM +0100, Marc Kleine-Budde wrote:
> On 01/11/2012 12:18 PM, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:
> >> nitpick:
> >> Oliver, please don't forget to add your S-o-b if you are pushing commits
> >> to the tree.
> > in that regard, I was wondering if one could add the S-o-b way after
> > the actual commit?
>
> Yes but no.
>
> Yes, you can change the commit message (git commit --amend), but if you
> have already pushed it to the central repo on gitorious, you should not
> do it, as it changes the history.

thanks for the answer.
Kurt

* Re: git question
@ 2012-01-11 11:28       ` Marc Kleine-Budde
From: Marc Kleine-Budde @ 2012-01-11 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-can

On 01/11/2012 12:18 PM, Kurt Van Dijck wrote:
>> nitpick:
>> Oliver, please don't forget to add your S-o-b if you are pushing commits
>> to the tree.
> in that regard, I was wondering if one could add the S-o-b way after
> the actual commit?

Yes but no.

Yes, you can change the commit message (git commit --amend), but if you
have already pushed it to the central repo on gitorious, you should not
do it, as it changes the history.

Marc

--
Pengutronix e.K.                  | Marc Kleine-Budde           |
Industrial Linux Solutions        | Phone: +49-231-2826-924     |

* git question
@ 2012-01-11 11:18     ` Kurt Van Dijck
From: Kurt Van Dijck @ 2012-01-11 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marc Kleine-Budde; +Cc: linux-can

@ 2010-08-16 16:06           ` Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk
From: Konrad Rzeszutek Wilk @ 2010-08-16 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josip Rodin; +Cc: xen-devel

On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 01:55:27PM +0200, Josip Rodin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 04:22:03PM +0200, Stefan Kuhne wrote:
> > > You can use git to merge the patches from branch A to branch B.
> >
> > but i need the plain patches for a vanilla tree and other patches.
> > So this patches should come into an patchset.
> >
> > Do i have to make a diff beetwen Konrads tree and a vanilla one?
>
> git diff the last tag from the vanilla branch and his last tag, or his HEAD.

Like this: git diff v2.6.32..origin/pv/pcifront-2.6.32

Thought the latest patches that I've been posting for review are in:
devel/xen-pcifront-0.5 and they are based on top 2.6.35, so you would
do:

git diff v2.6.35..origin/devel/xen-pcifront-0.5

and you would get the one big mega patch for the driver. Thought
don't forget you also need the SWIOTLB/Xen-SWIOTLB stuff (which is now
upstream in 2.6.36-rc0).

To make folks life easier I did setup branches which have all of those
patches in one location. They are:
  devel/merge.2.6.34
  devel/merge.2.6.35
  devel/merge.2.6.35-rc6.t2
  pv/merge.2.6.32
  pv/merge.2.6.33

> You can also git fetch a vanilla tree into the same checkout, and then
> git diff the two branches.

<nods>

* Re: git question
@ 2010-08-16 11:55         ` Josip Rodin
From: Josip Rodin @ 2010-08-16 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 04:22:03PM +0200, Stefan Kuhne wrote:
> > You can use git to merge the patches from branch A to branch B.
>
> but i need the plain patches for a vanilla tree and other patches.
> So this patches should come into an patchset.
>
> Do i have to make a diff beetwen Konrads tree and a vanilla one?

git diff the last tag from the vanilla branch and his last tag, or his HEAD.

You can also git fetch a vanilla tree into the same checkout, and then
git diff the two branches.

--
     2. That which causes joy or happiness.

* Re: git question
@ 2010-08-14 19:34         ` Daniel Stodden
From: Daniel Stodden @ 2010-08-14 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 10:22 -0400, Stefan Kuhne wrote:
> Am 14.08.2010 16:16, schrieb Pasi Kärkkäinen:
>
> Hello Pasi,
>
> > You can use git to merge the patches from branch A to branch B.
> >
> but i need the plain patches for a vanilla tree and other patches.
> So this patches should come into an patchset.
>
> Do i have to make a diff beetwen Konrads tree and a vanilla one?

Navigate to the branch you're interested in, using git checkout as
described above.

You can use git log to view commits to that particular branch you're
on.

With -p to see the patches inline, if that helps.

Patches are listed in reverse order, use -<n> to seen the last n
commits. I usually also use --oneline a lot.

Use git format-patch to export patches.

Briefly check out rev-parse for an overview on how to select particular
revisions and ranges. Before you get more familiar with that, just using
-<n> is probably more straightforward.

Cheers,
Daniel

* Re: git question
@ 2010-08-14 14:22       ` Stefan Kuhne
From: Stefan Kuhne @ 2010-08-14 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Am 14.08.2010 16:16, schrieb Pasi Kärkkäinen:

Hello Pasi,

> You can use git to merge the patches from branch A to branch B.

but i need the plain patches for a vanilla tree and other patches.
So this patches should come into an patchset.

Do i have to make a diff beetwen Konrads tree and a vanilla one?

Regards,
Stefan Kuhne

* Re: git question
@ 2010-08-14 14:16     ` Pasi Kärkkäinen
From: Pasi Kärkkäinen @ 2010-08-14 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 03:15:11PM +0200, Stefan Kuhne wrote:
> Am 14.08.2010 13:11, schrieb Vincent Hanquez:
> > On 14/08/10 10:25, Stefan Kuhne wrote:
>
> Hello,
>
> >> how can i get pv/pcifront-2.6.32 from Konrad.
> >> When i make "git clone
> >> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git
> >> xen-pcifront/" i get a complete 2.6.34 Kernel Tree.
> >
> >   git branch -a
> >
> could it be, that it is always a complete Kernel tree?
> I understand the summit papers so that there where plain patches for
> vanilla trees.

Yes, it's a full kernel tree including the patches.
Different branches have different patches.

You can use git to merge the patches from branch A to branch B.

-- Pasi

* Re: git question
@ 2010-08-14 13:15   ` Stefan Kuhne
From: Stefan Kuhne @ 2010-08-14 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

@ 2010-08-14 11:11 ` Vincent Hanquez
From: Vincent Hanquez @ 2010-08-14 11:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel; +Cc: Stefan Kuhne

On 14/08/10 10:25, Stefan Kuhne wrote:
> Hello,
>
> how can i get pv/pcifront-2.6.32 from Konrad.
> When i make "git clone
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git
> xen-pcifront/" i get a complete 2.6.34 Kernel Tree.

   git branch -a

After you have identified the remote branch you want to clone (origin is
the remote that you're originally cloning from)

   git checkout --track origin/X

In your case i suppose you want:

   git checkout --track origin/pv/pcifront-2.6.32

Then you can verify everything is alright doing a :

   git branch

It should list a master branch and a pv/pcifront-2.6.32 branch that
should be your current branch (the presence of the * indicate your
current branch)

--
Vincent

* git question
@ 2010-08-14  9:25 Stefan Kuhne
From: Stefan Kuhne @ 2010-08-14  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xen-devel

Hello,

how can i get pv/pcifront-2.6.32 from Konrad.
When i make "git clone
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/konrad/xen.git
xen-pcifront/" i get a complete 2.6.34 Kernel Tree.

And:
root@Dev-Eis2:/usr/src/xen-pcifront# git tag -l
root@Dev-Eis2:/usr/src/xen-pcifront#

Regards,
Stefan Kuhne

* RE: git question
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-02-28 15:51 ` Luck, Tony
From: Luck, Tony @ 2006-02-28 15:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

> It seems that if one keeps retrying, eventually it will work, but it
> seems very random.

Perhaps there is something wrong on one of the kernel.org front-end
systems.  You can force a specific one using git1.kernel.org or
git2.kernel.org

-Tony

* Re: git question
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-02-28 15:45 ` Jes Sorensen
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2006-02-28 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

Luck, Tony wrote:
>>Another git issue:
>>
>>[jes@tomahawk linux-2.6]$ git-pull
>>fatal: read error (Connection reset by peer)
>>Fetch failure: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6.git
>>
>>Anyone seen that one before? Worked last week.
>

> Not my fault (this time).  I haven't pushed anything up to kernel.org
> (or made any other repo changes) since Feb 18th.  The version of git
> on kernel.org was updated to 1.2.3 on Feb 23rd. What date was your last
> good pull?

Hmm I wonder if thats it. I had a good pull on Thursday for sure, but
I think I did on Friday as well. Someone else reported problems against
other repos.

It seems that if one keeps retrying, eventually it will work, but it
seems very random.

Cheers,
Jes

* RE: git question
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2006-02-28 15:22 ` Luck, Tony
From: Luck, Tony @ 2006-02-28 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

> Another git issue:
>
> [jes@tomahawk linux-2.6]$ git-pull
> fatal: read error (Connection reset by peer)
> Fetch failure: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6.git
>
> Anyone seen that one before? Worked last week.

Not my fault (this time).  I haven't pushed anything up to kernel.org
(or made any other repo changes) since Feb 18th.  The version of git
on kernel.org was updated to 1.2.3 on Feb 23rd. What date was your last
good pull?

-Tony

* Re: git question
@ 2006-02-28  9:51 ` Jes Sorensen
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2006-02-28  9:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

Hmmm

Another git issue:

[jes@tomahawk linux-2.6]$ git-pull
fatal: read error (Connection reset by peer)
Fetch failure: git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6.git

Anyone seen that one before? Worked last week.

Thanks,
Jes

* RE: git question
@ 2006-02-14 16:56 ` Luck, Tony
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Luck, Tony @ 2006-02-14 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

Jes> first: git-clone
Jes> rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6.git
Jes> then: [jes@tomahawk linux-2.6]$ git-pull fatal: Needed a single
Jes> revision Pulling into a black hole?

Jes> Matthew suggested that I use git: of rsync: and strangely enough that
Jes> works. Baffling, but hey, I now have what I wanted ;)

I'm not sure what happened.  I did swap-out my links to the packfiles in
Linus' tree ... but I ran the "git prune" and "git-update-server-info"
afterwards.  So the tree should have been consistent (but possibly might
have had some objects in the packfiles that might not have been needed
by the heads in my tree if Linus was ahead of my tree).

In general the "rsync:" protocol should be the lowest overhead for a
fresh clone, but "git:" should be better for subsequent pulls and fetches.

-Tony

* Re: git question
@ 2006-02-14 13:12 ` Jes Sorensen
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2006-02-14 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

Jes> Anyone know how to get around this, or is it not possible to do
Jes> so?

Jes> first: git-clone
Jes> rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6.git
Jes> then: [jes@tomahawk linux-2.6]$ git-pull fatal: Needed a single
Jes> revision Pulling into a black hole?

Matthew suggested that I use git: of rsync: and strangely enough that
works. Baffling, but hey, I now have what I wanted ;)

Thanks,
Jes

* git question
@ 2006-02-14 10:04 Jes Sorensen
                   ` (5 more replies)
From: Jes Sorensen @ 2006-02-14 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-ia64

Hi,

I was trying to checkout a copy of Tony's release tree, but I get a
strange error when doing so.

Anyone know how to get around this, or is it not possible to do so?

first:
git-clone rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6.git
then:
[jes@tomahawk linux-2.6]$ git-pull
fatal: Needed a single revision
Pulling into a black hole?