* [blueZ] Readline mandatory ?
@ 2018-04-20 10:00 Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-04-20 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hello,

Until commit bee3796113196da1b3f56da42fcae4d9bae6695e, the readline
library was an optional dependency of bluez (only needed when
--enable-client was used).

However, following this commit, shell.c is now built as part of
libshared, and readline becomes a mandatory dependency, which is not even
checked by the configure script. This leads to a build failure such as:

src/shared/shell.c:39:31: fatal error: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
 #include <readline/readline.h>

Is this an intended side effect of commit
bee3796113196da1b3f56da42fcae4d9bae6695e ? If yes, then the configure
script should be adjusted accordingly. If not, how should the code be
fixed to not use readline unconditionally ?

The fact that readline is under GPLv3 might be an issue for some
people, so having it as a mandatory dependency might be problematic.

The problem reported here exists in both the 5.49 release and the
latest master branch as of a085d8c88bd45474d3f9d9a0d3d20ebf7de858f6.

Any hint on how to resolve this issue ?

Thanks,

Thomas Petazzoni
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* Re: [blueZ] Readline mandatory ?
@ 2018-04-20 12:57 ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2018-04-20 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 1:00 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Until commit bee3796113196da1b3f56da42fcae4d9bae6695e, the readline
> library was an optional dependency of bluez (only needed when
> --enable-client was used).
>
> However, following this commit, shell.c is now built as part of
> libshared, and readline becomes a mandatory dependency, which is not even
> checked by the configure script. This leads to a build failure such as:
>
> src/shared/shell.c:39:31: fatal error: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
>  #include <readline/readline.h>
>
> Is this an intended side effect of commit
> bee3796113196da1b3f56da42fcae4d9bae6695e ? If yes, then the configure
> script should be adjusted accordingly. If not, how should the code be
> fixed to not use readline unconditionally ?
>
> The fact that readline is under GPLv3 might be an issue for some
> people, so having it as a mandatory dependency might be problematic.
>
> The problem reported here exists in both the 5.49 release and the
> latest master branch as of a085d8c88bd45474d3f9d9a0d3d20ebf7de858f6.
>
> Any hint on how to resolve this issue ?

We will have to fix this, it shell should probably be conditional to
build with libshared like the tools are.

> Thanks,
>
> Thomas Petazzoni
> --
> Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
> Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering
> https://bootlin.com

Luiz Augusto von Dentz

* Re: [blueZ] Readline mandatory ?
@ 2018-04-20 13:04   ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2018-04-20 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Petazzoni; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Thomas,

On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 3:57 PM, Luiz Augusto von Dentz
<luiz.dentz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Fri, Apr 20, 2018 at 1:00 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Until commit bee3796113196da1b3f56da42fcae4d9bae6695e, the readline
>> library was an optional dependency of bluez (only needed when
>> --enable-client was used).
>>
>> However, following this commit, shell.c is now built as part of
>> libshared, and readline becomes a mandatory dependency, which is not even
>> checked by the configure script. This leads to a build failure such as:
>>
>> src/shared/shell.c:39:31: fatal error: readline/readline.h: No such file or directory
>>  #include <readline/readline.h>
>>
>> Is this an intended side effect of commit
>> bee3796113196da1b3f56da42fcae4d9bae6695e ? If yes, then the configure
>> script should be adjusted accordingly. If not, how should the code be
>> fixed to not use readline unconditionally ?
>>
>> The fact that readline is under GPLv3 might be an issue for some
>> people, so having it as a mandatory dependency might be problematic.
>>
>> The problem reported here exists in both the 5.49 release and the
>> latest master branch as of a085d8c88bd45474d3f9d9a0d3d20ebf7de858f6.
>>
>> Any hint on how to resolve this issue ?
>
> We will have to fix this, it shell should probably be conditional to
> build with libshared like the tools are.

Ive send a patch for it, could please check if it does build properly
on a system without readline.

--
Luiz Augusto von Dentz