* Monitoring files
@ 2018-04-24  1:19 warron.french
From: warron.french @ 2018-04-24  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit

Hi, I have a requirement to monitor a ton of files, executables and confug
files.

Anyway, not all of my systems have every file in the list; and when I add
the rules appropriate, either as a Watch (-w) rule or as an Action (-a)
rule, the rules stop loading when the find a rule that has a file that
doesn't exist *on that particular system*.

This is the intended effect, yes?

Thanks in advance,
--------------------------
Warron French

* Re: Monitoring files
@ 2018-04-24  3:41 ` F Rafi
From: F Rafi @ 2018-04-24  3:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: warron.french; +Cc: Linux Audit

Adding a -i to the rules file should ignore any errors.

-Farhan

On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 9:19 PM, warron.french <warron.french@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi, I have a requirement to monitor a ton of files, executables and confug
> files.
>
> Anyway, not all of my systems have every file in the list; and when I add
> the rules appropriate, either as a Watch (-w) rule or as an Action (-a)
> rule, the rules stop loading when the find a rule that has a file that
> doesn't exist *on that particular system*.
>
> This is the intended effect, yes?
>
> Thanks in advance,

* Re: Monitoring files
@ 2018-04-24 15:14   ` Richard Guy Briggs
       [not found]     ` <CAJdJdQmgw1hPeCas8D_uK9uxWoqUekgx2aiu0RBPwAqYtiYScw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Richard Guy Briggs @ 2018-04-24 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: F Rafi; +Cc: Linux Audit

On 2018-04-23 23:41, F Rafi wrote:
> Adding a -i to the rules file should ignore any errors.

At risk of feature creep, it might be nice to have a flag to ignore
certain rules but not others, a way to tag individual rules with either
a must, or a different tag with "ignore if not present" for file rules.

> -Farhan
>
> On Mon, Apr 23, 2018 at 9:19 PM, warron.french <warron.french@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi, I have a requirement to monitor a ton of files, executables and confug
> > files.
> >
> > Anyway, not all of my systems have every file in the list; and when I add
> > the rules appropriate, either as a Watch (-w) rule or as an Action (-a)
> > rule, the rules stop loading when the find a rule that has a file that
> > doesn't exist *on that particular system*.
> >
> > This is the intended effect, yes?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > --------------------------
> > Warron French

- RGB

--
Richard Guy Briggs <rgb@redhat.com>
Sr. S/W Engineer, Kernel Security, Base Operating Systems

* Re: Monitoring files
       [not found]       ` <20180424223117.kpzra3iisyckuofh@madcap2.tricolour.ca>
@ 2018-04-24 23:45         ` warron.french
From: warron.french @ 2018-04-24 23:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Guy Briggs, linux-audit

 Mr. Briggs/Rafi,

I don't see the -i switch even mentioned in the manpage for audit.rules.
Is this a documented switch, or not yet a capability on Red Hat or CentOS
systems?

Thanks in advance,

--------------------------
Warron French

@ 2018-04-25  0:24           ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2018-04-25  0:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit; +Cc: Richard Guy Briggs

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 7:45:15 PM EDT warron.french wrote:
>  Mr. Briggs/Rafi,
>
> I don't see the -i switch even mentioned in the manpage for audit.rules.
> Is this a documented switch, or not yet a capability on Red Hat or CentOS
> systems?

All audit commands are documented in the auditctl man page. When rules load,
auditctl processes them as if you typed them in one by one via auditctl. Its
just that you do not need to type auditctl on each line of the rules.

-Stev

       [not found]       ` <CAJdJdQ=jZ3fvYi_mbPxGQ2Lo3G-GnVBuecEuHhz-i1JzAp=-5w@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2018-04-25  0:43         ` Richard Guy Briggs
From: Richard Guy Briggs @ 2018-04-25  0:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2018-04-24 18:04, warron.french wrote:
> Furthermore, where would I add the -i switch to a rule like this one:
>
> -a always,exit -F path=/usr/bin/cgclassify -F perm=x -F auid>=1000 -F
> auid!=4294967295 -k privileged

I'm not aware of any per-rule switches to permit failure to load to be
non-fatal.  I was suggesting it might help in your situation to add such
a feature, but I think the better solution is a customized rule set for
each machine or type of machine.

@ 2018-04-25  1:12           ` warron.french
From: warron.french @ 2018-04-25  1:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve, I did a search on the manpage for auditctl and there was no
references to any -i switch;
   of course it could be because the version we are on might be too old in
comparison.

--------------------------
Warron French

@ 2018-04-25  1:40             ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2018-04-25  1:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-audit; +Cc: Richard Guy Briggs

On Tuesday, April 24, 2018 9:12:49 PM EDT warron.french wrote:
> Steve, I did a search on the manpage for auditctl and there was no
> references to any -i switch;
>    of course it could be because the version we are on might be too old in
> comparison.

This is what the auditctl man page says from audit-1.0.16:

-i     Ignore errors when reading rules from a file

I hope you are not using anything less than that.

-Steve

@ 2018-04-25 14:06           ` F Rafi
From: F Rafi @ 2018-04-25 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Warron,

> Furthermore, where would I add the -i switch to a rule like this one:

You basically put a "-i" on a separate line by itself afaik somewhere at
the top of the audit rules file. All the rules below the -i line will not
cause a load failure (Steve and RGB can confirm).

Farhan

@ 2018-04-25 17:01             ` warron.french
From: warron.french @ 2018-04-25 17:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks *F Rafi.*

*Steve*, does the "-i" flag go on a line simply by itself?

And so the benefit of this switch is that for rules applied through the
audit.rules file; that are monitoring files - wherein the files are not on
the system will do which:
1.  Not load the rule, skip to the next rule and load it if possible?
2. Load the rule, but will simply not indicate an error at all?

Therefore all rules that can be loaded will be loaded (if the files are in
place) and those that don't actually have their files to monitor will
simply not be added to the chain of rules?

Thanks for the explanation,

--------------------------
Warron French

* Re: Monitoring files
@ 2018-04-25 21:46               ` Steve Grubb
From: Steve Grubb @ 2018-04-25 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2018 13:01:11 -0400
"warron.french" <warron.french@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks *F Rafi.*
>
> *Steve*, does the "-i" flag go on a line simply by itself?

Yes. Just like the -D at the top of the rules.

> And so the benefit of this switch is that for rules applied through
> the audit.rules file; that are monitoring files - wherein the files
> are not on the system will do which:
> 1.  Not load the rule, skip to the next rule and load it if possible?

Yes

> 2. Load the rule, but will simply not indicate an error at all?
>
> Therefore all rules that can be loaded will be loaded (if the files
> are in place) and those that don't actually have their files to
> monitor will simply not be added to the chain of rules?

Yes. Note that there is also a '-c' rule that will continue loading and
then give you a summary yes/no. Yes all rules loaded, No one or more
rules did not load. The '-i' will always report success.

-Steve