* Patch "MIPS: generic: Fix machine compatible matching" has been added to the 4.14-stable tree
@ 2018-04-24 15:01 ` gregkh
From: gregkh @ 2018-04-24 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexander.levin, gregkh, jhogan, linux-mips, matt.redfearn,
	paul.burton, ralf
  Cc: stable-commits

This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled

    MIPS: generic: Fix machine compatible matching

to the 4.14-stable tree which can be found at:
    http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary

The filename of the patch is:
     mips-generic-fix-machine-compatible-matching.patch
and it can be found in the queue-4.14 subdirectory.

If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
please let <stable@vger.kernel.org> know about it.

From: gregkh @ 2018-04-24 15:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexander.levin, gregkh, jhogan, linux-mips, matt.redfearn,
	paul.burton, ralf
  Cc: stable-commits

This is a note to let you know that I've just added the patch titled

    MIPS: generic: Fix machine compatible matching

to the 4.14-stable tree which can be found at:
    http://www.kernel.org/git/?p=linux/kernel/git/stable/stable-queue.git;a=summary

The filename of the patch is:
     mips-generic-fix-machine-compatible-matching.patch
and it can be found in the queue-4.14 subdirectory.

If you, or anyone else, feels it should not be added to the stable tree,
please let <stable@vger.kernel.org> know about it.

* Re: Patch "MIPS: generic: Fix machine compatible matching" has been added to the 4.14-stable tree
  (?)
@ 2018-04-25 22:02 ` James Hogan
From: James Hogan @ 2018-04-25 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gregkh
  Cc: alexander.levin, linux-mips, matt.redfearn, paul.burton, ralf,
	stable-commits

On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 05:01:06PM +0200, gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:
> We now have a platform (Ranchu) in the "generic" platform which matches

The reason I didn't tag stable was because Ranchu was added in 4.16 ...

>  	if (!mach->matches)
>  		return NULL;

... so mach->matches will always be NULL before 4.16 ...

> -	for (match = mach->matches; match->compatible; match++) {
> +	for (match = mach->matches; match->compatible[0]; match++) {

... so this can't get hit.

Feel free to drop, otherwise it does no harm, its dead code.

Cheers
James

* Re: Patch "MIPS: generic: Fix machine compatible matching" has been added to the 4.14-stable tree
@ 2018-04-26  6:55   ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2018-04-26  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Hogan
  Cc: alexander.levin, linux-mips, matt.redfearn, paul.burton, ralf,
	stable-commits

On Wed, Apr 25, 2018 at 11:02:21PM +0100, James Hogan wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 24, 2018 at 05:01:06PM +0200, gregkh@linuxfoundation.org wrote:
> > We now have a platform (Ranchu) in the "generic" platform which matches
>
> The reason I didn't tag stable was because Ranchu was added in 4.16 ...
>
> >  	if (!mach->matches)
> >  		return NULL;
>
> ... so mach->matches will always be NULL before 4.16 ...
>

> > -	for (match = mach->matches; match->compatible; match++) {
> > +	for (match = mach->matches; match->compatible[0]; match++) {
>
> ... so this can't get hit.
>
> Feel free to drop, otherwise it does no harm, its dead code.

Now dropped, thanks for letting me know.

greg k-h

* Patch "MIPS: generic: Fix machine compatible matching" has been added to the 4.14-stable tree
@ 2018-05-27 15:14 ` gregkh

From: gregkh @ 2018-05-27 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alexander.levin, gregkh, jhogan, linux-mips, matt.redfearn,
	paul.burton, ralf