* [dm-crypt] Does luksRemoveKey securely erase old keys?
@ 2018-04-29  1:26 tripleedgedsword
From: tripleedgedsword @ 2018-04-29  1:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

I've been looking at the command luksRemoveKey recently. I was wondering if a "cryptsetup luksRemoveKey" command securely deletes the part of the storage device on which the key was stored.

If not, where do the key slots store their keys, and how would we wipe the unallocated space on the drive to make sure all traces of old keys are truly removed?

* Re: [dm-crypt] Does luksRemoveKey securely erase old keys?
@ 2018-04-29 10:46 ` Milan Broz
From: Milan Broz @ 2018-04-29 10:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tripleedgedsword, dm-crypt

On 04/29/2018 03:26 AM, tripleedgedsword wrote:
> I've been looking at the command luksRemoveKey recently. I was
> wondering if a "cryptsetup luksRemoveKey" command securely deletes
> the part of the storage device on which the key was stored.
All commands that removes keys/keyslots internally calls
crypt_keyslot_destroy() function that wipes removed keyslot area on disk.

For rotational drives it overwrites the area several times, for non-rotational
drives (SSDs) it wipes the area with zeroes once.
(What exactly particular firmware does depends on drive though.)

One day we will probably call "secure discard" command for that area, but for now
this command is not widely supported and moreover, it is often buggy...

Anyway, TL;DR: yes, luksRemoveKey wipes the storage device area with the keyslot.

Milan

* Re: [dm-crypt] Does luksRemoveKey securely erase old keys?
@ 2018-04-29 14:32 ` Arno Wagner
From: Arno Wagner @ 2018-04-29 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Due to the anti-forensic properties of the key-stripes, any
normal delete is already better than a "secure" one. So, no,
it does not.

I recomment reading the on-disk specification instead and
realizing what you want to do is entirely unneccessary.

Also refer to FAQ Item 5.4 if you are trying to do this on SSD.

Regards,
Arno

Arno Wagner,     Dr. sc. techn., Dipl. Inform.,    Email: arno@wagner.name
----