* [Buildroot] xfsprogs failing to build on your autobuilder
@ 2018-05-09  8:53 Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-05-09  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Matt,

Since yesterday, xfsprogs has started failing to build, but it seems to
happen only your autobuilder (4 times so far):

  http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?reason=xfsprogs-4.15.1

xfsprogs hadn't failed to build since March 24th, and it suddenly
started failing to build again (but with a different error) since
yesterday, just on your autobuilder.

It fails with:

make[3]: *** No rule to make target `-lrt', needed by `xfs_scrub'.  Stop.

I don't immediately in the commits from the last few days what could
cause this. It fails on different architectures, with internal and
external toolchains, with uclibc and glibc. Seems weird.

Could you see if you can reproduce locally, and understand what's going
on ?

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin (formerly Free Electrons)
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] xfsprogs failing to build on your autobuilder
@ 2018-05-09  9:13 ` Baruch Siach
From: Baruch Siach @ 2018-05-09  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 10:53:14AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> Hello Matt,
>
> Since yesterday, xfsprogs has started failing to build, but it seems to
> happen only your autobuilder (4 times so far):
>
>   http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?reason=xfsprogs-4.15.1
>
> xfsprogs hadn't failed to build since March 24th, and it suddenly
> started failing to build again (but with a different error) since
> yesterday, just on your autobuilder.
>
> It fails with:
>
> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `-lrt', needed by `xfs_scrub'.  Stop.
>
> I don't immediately in the commits from the last few days what could
> cause this. It fails on different architectures, with internal and
> external toolchains, with uclibc and glibc. Seems weird.
>
> Could you see if you can reproduce locally, and understand what's going
> on ?

I think that the xfsprogs Makefile used check the host librt for the -lrt
dependency. This issue is a similar to the -lunistring dependency that
Buildroot commit a81601589 removed. Upstream developer Darrick J. Wong
indicated[1] that all this code is going to be removed in a future release. So
I think that bumping to v4.16.1 would fix the issue, but I didn't check that
yet.

[1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10296957/

baruch

* [Buildroot] xfsprogs failing to build on your autobuilder
@ 2018-05-09 13:02   ` Matthew Weber
From: Matthew Weber @ 2018-05-09 13:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

All,

On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 4:13 AM, Baruch Siach <baruch@tkos.co.il> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 10:53:14AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>> Hello Matt,
>>
>> Since yesterday, xfsprogs has started failing to build, but it seems to
>> happen only your autobuilder (4 times so far):
>>
>>   http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?reason=xfsprogs-4.15.1
>>
>> xfsprogs hadn't failed to build since March 24th, and it suddenly
>> started failing to build again (but with a different error) since
>> yesterday, just on your autobuilder.
>>
>> It fails with:
>>
>> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `-lrt', needed by `xfs_scrub'.  Stop.
>>
>> I don't immediately in the commits from the last few days what could
>> cause this. It fails on different architectures, with internal and
>> external toolchains, with uclibc and glibc. Seems weird.
>>
>> Could you see if you can reproduce locally, and understand what's going
>> on ?
>
> I think that the xfsprogs Makefile used check the host librt for the -lrt
> dependency. This issue is a similar to the -lunistring dependency that
> Buildroot commit a81601589 removed. Upstream developer Darrick J. Wong
> indicated[1] that all this code is going to be removed in a future release. So
> I think that bumping to v4.16.1 would fix the issue, but I didn't check that
> yet.
>
> [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10296957/

It does make sense why it just started as I just brought this U16.04
autobuilder back online on 5/8.

I'll start a test of a bump to 4.16.1 (autobr failure and test-pkg).
Baruch, shall I send a patch if it looks to resolve this issue or did
you want to as you originated the comment?

Matt

* [Buildroot] xfsprogs failing to build on your autobuilder
@ 2018-05-09 13:10     ` Baruch Siach
From: Baruch Siach @ 2018-05-09 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Matt,

On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 08:02:39AM -0500, Matthew Weber wrote:
> On Wed, May 9, 2018 at 4:13 AM, Baruch Siach <baruch@tkos.co.il> wrote:
> > On Wed, May 09, 2018 at 10:53:14AM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
> >> Hello Matt,
> >>
> >> Since yesterday, xfsprogs has started failing to build, but it seems to
> >> happen only your autobuilder (4 times so far):
> >>
> >>   http://autobuild.buildroot.net/?reason=xfsprogs-4.15.1
> >>
> >> xfsprogs hadn't failed to build since March 24th, and it suddenly
> >> started failing to build again (but with a different error) since
> >> yesterday, just on your autobuilder.
> >>
> >> It fails with:
> >>
> >> make[3]: *** No rule to make target `-lrt', needed by `xfs_scrub'.  Stop.
> >>
> >> I don't immediately in the commits from the last few days what could
> >> cause this. It fails on different architectures, with internal and
> >> external toolchains, with uclibc and glibc. Seems weird.
> >>
> >> Could you see if you can reproduce locally, and understand what's going
> >> on ?
> >
> > I think that the xfsprogs Makefile used check the host librt for the -lrt
> > dependency. This issue is a similar to the -lunistring dependency that
> > Buildroot commit a81601589 removed. Upstream developer Darrick J. Wong
> > indicated[1] that all this code is going to be removed in a future release. So
> > I think that bumping to v4.16.1 would fix the issue, but I didn't check that
> > yet.
> >
> > [1] https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/10296957/
>
> It does make sense why it just started as I just brought this U16.04
> autobuilder back online on 5/8.
>
> I'll start a test of a bump to 4.16.1 (autobr failure and test-pkg).
> Baruch, shall I send a patch if it looks to resolve this issue or did
> you want to as you originated the comment?

Feel free to send a bump patch.

baruch