* status of arch/mips/jazz
@ 2018-05-18 13:57 Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-05-18 13:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralf Baechle, James Hogan, Thomas Bogendoerfer; +Cc: linux-mips

Hi Ralf, hi James, hi Thomas,

does anyone of you know the status of the Mips Jazz platform?
I've recently started work consolidating the various direct mapping
dma mapping implementations, and Jazz is soley responsible for a lot
of the complications of the common mips dma mapping implementation.

At the same time the port looks very much like bitrot given that the
last real JAzz commit was from Thomas in 2007.  So if there is any
chance to drop it, that would make my life a lot easier, if not
I'll accomodate it but I might need some help.

* Re: status of arch/mips/jazz
@ 2018-05-22 12:35 ` Tom Bogendoerfer
From: Tom Bogendoerfer @ 2018-05-22 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christoph Hellwig; +Cc: Ralf Baechle, James Hogan, linux-mips

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 03:57:37PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> At the same time the port looks very much like bitrot given that the
> last real JAzz commit was from Thomas in 2007.  So if there is any
> chance to drop it, that would make my life a lot easier, if not
> I'll accomodate it but I might need some help.

I'd like to keep it. I've started to get my qemu magnum setup working again.
Later I'm also going to get my M700 running.

For your dma rework: How about ignoring  the vdma stuff and treat jazz like
other non cohoherent MIPS. Then I'll implement the vdma stuff similair to
other iommu hardware. Is this goog enough for you ?

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]

* Re: status of arch/mips/jazz
@ 2018-05-22 13:42   ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-05-22 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tom Bogendoerfer; +Cc: Christoph Hellwig, Ralf Baechle, James Hogan, linux-mips

On Tue, May 22, 2018 at 02:35:10PM +0200, Tom Bogendoerfer wrote:
> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 03:57:37PM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > At the same time the port looks very much like bitrot given that the
> > last real JAzz commit was from Thomas in 2007.  So if there is any
> > chance to drop it, that would make my life a lot easier, if not
> > I'll accomodate it but I might need some help.
>
> I'd like to keep it. I've started to get my qemu magnum setup working again.
> Later I'm also going to get my M700 running.
>
> For your dma rework: How about ignoring  the vdma stuff and treat jazz like
> other non cohoherent MIPS. Then I'll implement the vdma stuff similair to
> other iommu hardware. Is this goog enough for you ?

I'm happy to implement it in the sense of writing some untested code,
I just really need testing and review feedback.

Thanks for the quick reply!