* Q: Status of ANA patches
@ 2018-06-29 11:42 Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2018-06-29 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Christoph,

do you have any timeline for the ANA patches?
 From my last testing they look good so far; the only missing bit is a
missing configfs entry for the actual ANATT value.
For that we could easily resurrect my original patch.

Is there anything else which is holding it up?

Cheers,

Hannes

* Q: Status of ANA patches
@ 2018-06-29 12:03 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-06-29 12:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Fri, Jun 29, 2018@01:42:49PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> Hi Christoph,
>
> do you have any timeline for the ANA patches?
> From my last testing they look good so far; the only missing bit is a
> missing configfs entry for the actual ANATT value.
> For that we could easily resurrect my original patch.
>
> Is there anything else which is holding it up?

An automated test suite to actually test the code reliably is the
important missing bit.

* Q: Status of ANA patches
@ 2018-07-17 13:42   ` Hannes Reinecke
From: Hannes Reinecke @ 2018-07-17 13:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 06/29/2018 02:03 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 29, 2018@01:42:49PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
>> Hi Christoph,
>>
>> do you have any timeline for the ANA patches?
>> From my last testing they look good so far; the only missing bit is a
>> missing configfs entry for the actual ANATT value.
>> For that we could easily resurrect my original patch.
>>
>> Is there anything else which is holding it up?
>
> An automated test suite to actually test the code reliably is the
> important missing bit.

So, just submitted a blktest to check the basic functionality via
nvme-loop, including path failover.

And send some fixes for issues found during development of the said test :-)

If you can think of anything else which should be tested please let me
know, I'm happy to write up a testcase for that.

But what's next, then?
Will you fold the patches into the main patchset?
Or should they be kept separate?
Should I be doing it (if you are too busy)?

Cheers,

Hannes
--
Dr. Hannes Reinecke		   Teamlead Storage & Networking
hare at suse.de			               +49 911 74053 688

* Q: Status of ANA patches
@ 2018-07-17 13:50     ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-07-17 13:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, Jul 17, 2018@03:42:06PM +0200, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> So, just submitted a blktest to check the basic functionality via
> nvme-loop, including path failover.

Thanks!

> And send some fixes for issues found during development of the said test :-)

Yes, that's why we need tests.

> If you can think of anything else which should be tested please let me
> know, I'm happy to write up a testcase for that.
>
> But what's next, then?
> Will you fold the patches into the main patchset?
> Or should they be kept separate?
> Should I be doing it (if you are too busy)?

Pretty busy this week, so for now just send incremental patches if needed.
I'll try to fold your fixes, try the test suite (and maybe add some
of the bits I did test manually to it) and prepare a merge candidate
for next week.

* Q: Status of ANA patches
@ 2018-07-19 14:28 ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-07-19 14:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Btw, another TODO item is nvme-cli support to show the ANA
state of namespaces.

* Q: Status of ANA patches
@ 2018-07-25  0:50   ` Chaitanya Kulkarni
From: Chaitanya Kulkarni @ 2018-07-25  0:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I just posted the patch read the ANA log page for name-cli,
maybe we can use that command to show the ANA related
information such as ANA state of the namespace or do we
need to add a new command to nvme-cli?

@ 2018-07-25  5:05     ` Christoph Hellwig
From: Christoph Hellwig @ 2018-07-25  5:05 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018@12:50:31AM +0000, Chaitanya Kulkarni wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just posted the patch read the ANA log page for name-cli,
> maybe we can use that command to show the ANA related
> information such as ANA state of the namespace or do we
> need to add a new command to nvme-cli?

We need some way to see the status of namespaces in a given subsystem
(and maybe also per controller).

I think Johannes has done some preliminary work in this area, adding
him to Cc.

* Q: Status of ANA patches
@ 2018-07-26  9:24       ` Johannes Thumshirn
From: Johannes Thumshirn @ 2018-07-26  9:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018@07:05:13AM +0200, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> We need some way to see the status of namespaces in a given subsystem
> (and maybe also per controller).
>
> I think Johannes has done some preliminary work in this area, adding
> him to Cc.

I'll have a look at it.

Wanted to give the whole series + Hannes' blktests a shot on my
minimal VMs as well so I think it's a good starting point.

/me hopes to get to it this week

Byte,
	Johannes
--
Johannes Thumshirn                                          Storage
jthumshirn at suse.de                                +49 911 74053 689