* [ANNOUNCE] 2018 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2018-08-10 11:06 Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2018-08-10 11:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood

As in previous years we're trying to organize an audio miniconference so
we can get together and talk through issues, especially design decisons,
face to face.  This year's event will be held on Sunday October 21st in
Edinburgh, the day before ELC Europe starts there.  We're still
finalizing the venue (we expect to be able to confirm next week) but
it'll be outside the ELC venue so there will be no need to purchase an
ELC ticket to attend.

As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!

If you're planning to attend please fill out the form here:

  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11p2pSNxS7sJysg1JwErWi0T2Dq7XKRtAGngBHAn_w2g/edit?usp=sharing

Thanks,
Mark

[-- Attachment #1.2: signature.asc --]

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2018 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2018-08-16 16:02 ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2018-08-16 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood

On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:06:56PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> As in previous years we're trying to organize an audio miniconference so
> we can get together and talk through issues, especially design decisons,
> face to face.  This year's event will be held on Sunday October 21st in
> Edinburgh, the day before ELC Europe starts there.  We're still
> finalizing the venue (we expect to be able to confirm next week) but
> it'll be outside the ELC venue so there will be no need to purchase an
> ELC ticket to attend.

I am pleased to be able to confirm that Cirrus Logic have generously
offered to host this at their offices in Edinburgh:

	7B Nightingale Way
	Quartermile
	Edinburgh
	EH3 9EG

(this is very central, quite near the ELC/Open Source Summit venue.)

> As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
> list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
> they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
> sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!

Not much discussion yet - one topic I think there's some useful
discussion to be had about is DSPs, we've got the recent Intel work with
Sound Open Firmware opening things up there and potentially being able
to offload work from the userspace sound servers.

@ 2018-08-23 11:18   ` Liam Girdwood
From: Liam Girdwood @ 2018-08-23 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai

On Thu, 2018-08-16 at 17:02 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:06:56PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
>

> > As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
> > list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
> > they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
> > sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!
>
> Not much discussion yet - one topic I think there's some useful
> discussion to be had about is DSPs, we've got the recent Intel work with
> Sound Open Firmware opening things up there and potentially being able
> to offload work from the userspace sound servers.

I'm also thinking soundwire, AVB (audio over ethernet) and audio virtualisation
as other topics too.

Fwiw, we should be able to virtualise SOF soon so it would be probably good to
discuss audio virtualisation in general and the pain points for virtualising
audio around latency and reducing buffer copies.

Liam

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2018 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2018-08-26 18:33   ` Fulup Ar Foll
From: Fulup Ar Foll @ 2018-08-26 18:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown, alsa-devel; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood

Mark,

If the room is not already fully pack, I would love to send/two guys
from my team to this ALSA F2F@ELC.

My team is the main maintainer for the 4A(AGL Advance Audio
Architecture) AGL(Automotive Grade Linux) that relies on raw ALSA.

While AGL/4A obviously target the automotive market, most of the
concepts should be valuable in other embedded projects that require
advanced audio config (role, zone, policies/security, docking, mixing,
...) with limited CPU/RAM resources.

Current hot topic for automotive:
  - smart/smooth integration of soft/hard DSP for equalisation/mixing
  - noise cancellation and sound bubble (for speech recognition)
  - sound synchronous networks
  - virtualisation

Fulup

ps: AGL/4A presentation at
https://iot.bzh/download/public/2018/amm-tokyo/AGL-Audio-Advanced-Architecture.pdf

@ 2018-08-27 12:37     ` Vinod
From: Vinod @ 2018-08-27 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, Mark Brown

On 23-08-18, 12:18, Liam Girdwood wrote:
> On Thu, 2018-08-16 at 17:02 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> > On Fri, Aug 10, 2018 at 12:06:56PM +0100, Mark Brown wrote:
> >

> > > As with previous years let's pull together an agenda through a mailing
> > > list discussion - if people could reply to this mail with any topics
> > > they'd like to discuss we can take it from there.  Of course if we can
> > > sort things out more quickly via the mailing list that's even better!
> >
> > Not much discussion yet - one topic I think there's some useful
> > discussion to be had about is DSPs, we've got the recent Intel work with
> > Sound Open Firmware opening things up there and potentially being able
> > to offload work from the userspace sound servers.
> >

> I'm also thinking soundwire, AVB (audio over ethernet) and audio virtualisation
> as other topics too.

Yeah I am going to be there and can discuss soundwire :-)

> Fwiw, we should be able to virtualise SOF soon so it would be probably good to
> discuss audio virtualisation in general and the pain points for virtualising
> audio around latency and reducing buffer copies.

I think last meeting folks had discussed about the byte control
interface? Did anyone get around to work on that. I would like to
discuss that again.

--
~Vinod

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2018 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2018-08-28  8:59       ` Charles Keepax
From: Charles Keepax @ 2018-08-28  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vinod; +Cc: Liam Girdwood, Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel, Mark Brown

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 06:07:03PM +0530, Vinod wrote:
> On 23-08-18, 12:18, Liam Girdwood wrote:

> > > Not much discussion yet - one topic I think there's some useful
> > > discussion to be had about is DSPs, we've got the recent Intel work with
> > > Sound Open Firmware opening things up there and potentially being able
> > > to offload work from the userspace sound servers.
> > >

> > I'm also thinking soundwire, AVB (audio over ethernet) and audio virtualisation
> > as other topics too.
>
> Yeah I am going to be there and can discuss soundwire :-)
> >
> > Fwiw, we should be able to virtualise SOF soon so it would be probably good to
> > discuss audio virtualisation in general and the pain points for virtualising
> > audio around latency and reducing buffer copies.
>
> I think last meeting folks had discussed about the byte control
> interface? Did anyone get around to work on that. I would like to
> discuss that again.

I have done a pretty poor job of getting around to it so far,
hoping I will be able to get some patches for discussion before
the conference but not sure if it will happen.

Thanks,
Charles

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2018 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2018-08-28 19:10     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2018-08-28 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fulup Ar Foll; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girdwood, alsa-devel

On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 08:33:21PM +0200, Fulup Ar Foll wrote:

> If the room is not already fully pack, I would love to send/two guys from my
> team to this ALSA F2F@ELC.

Please go ahead and sign up!  If the meeting starts to get
oversubscribed we'll try to figure out somewhere with more space.

> My team is the main maintainer for the 4A(AGL Advance Audio Architecture)
> AGL(Automotive Grade Linux) that relies on raw ALSA.

> While AGL/4A obviously target the automotive market, most of the concepts
> should be valuable in other embedded projects that require advanced audio
> config (role, zone, policies/security, docking, mixing, ...) with limited
> CPU/RAM resources.

Ah, another userspace audio framework!  It'd be good to get some
discussion of how to share configuration learing with the other
frameworks, especially PulseAudio (or how to incorporate them into the
same system if that makes more sense).

> Current hot topic for automotive:
>  - smart/smooth integration of soft/hard DSP for equalisation/mixing
>  - noise cancellation and sound bubble (for speech recognition)

These have come up before and could definitely use some discussion with
the various DSP vendors.

>  - sound synchronous networks
>  - virtualisation

Liam mentioned that as interesting as well, and I think the sound
synchronization issue has some overlap with the networked audio
protocols he mentioned.

@ 2018-08-28 19:13     ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2018-08-28 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Liam Girdwood; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:18:06PM +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:

> I'm also thinking soundwire, AVB (audio over ethernet) and audio virtualisation
> as other topics too.

Yes, it'd be especially good to get an uodate on where SoundWire's at,
especially with regard to things like routing.

> Fwiw, we should be able to virtualise SOF soon so it would be probably good to
> discuss audio virtualisation in general and the pain points for virtualising
> audio around latency and reducing buffer copies.

Is there any hardware support for this in your audio blocks or is it
currently pure software?

@ 2018-10-10 16:33 ` Eric Laurent
From: Eric Laurent @ 2018-10-10 16:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girgwood, alsa-devel

Hi,

Sorry I will not be able to attend this years.
Keep me posted if there are questions related to Android in particular.

Thanks.

Eric.

@ 2018-10-12  5:41       ` Vinod
From: Vinod @ 2018-10-12  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Brown; +Cc: Liam Girdwood, Takashi Iwai, alsa-devel

On 28-08-18, 20:13, Mark Brown wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 23, 2018 at 12:18:06PM +0100, Liam Girdwood wrote:
>
> > I'm also thinking soundwire, AVB (audio over ethernet) and audio virtualisation
> > as other topics too.
>
> Yes, it'd be especially good to get an uodate on where SoundWire's at,
> especially with regard to things like routing.

Can you please elaborate what you refer by routing?

--
~Vinod

* Re: [ANNOUNCE] 2018 Linux Audio miniconference
@ 2018-10-16 14:08   ` Mark Brown
From: Mark Brown @ 2018-10-16 14:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eric Laurent; +Cc: Takashi Iwai, Liam Girgwood, alsa-devel