From: "J. Bruce Fields" <bfields@fieldses.org>
To: Stan Hu <stanhu@gmail.com>
Cc: linux-nfs@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: Stale data after file is renamed while another process has an open file handle
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2018 14:19:01 -0400	[thread overview]

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 03:48:12PM -0700, Stan Hu wrote:
> I'm not sure if the binary pcap made it on the list, but here's s a
> publicly available link:
> https://s3.amazonaws.com/gitlab-support/nfs/nfs-rename-test1.pcap.gz
>
> Some things to note:
>
> * 10.138.0.14 is the NFS server.
> * 10.138.0.12 is Node A (the NFS client where the RENAME happened).
> * 10.138.0.13 is Node B (the NFS client that has test.txt open and the cat loop)
>
> * Packet 13762 shows the first RENAME request, which the server
> responds with an NFS4ERR_DELAY
> * Packet 13769 shows an OPEN request for "test.txt"
> * Packet 14564 shows the RENAME retry
> * Packet 14569 the server responded with a RENAME NFS4_OK
>
> I don't see a subsequent OPEN request after that. Should there be one?

Yes.

We know node B has that cat loop that will keep reopening the file.

The only way node B could avoid translating those open syscalls into
on-the-wire OPENs is if the client holds a delegation.

But it can't hold a delegation on the file that was newly renamed to
test.txt--delegations are revoked on rename, and it would need to do
another OPEN after the rename to get a new delegation.  Similarly the
file that gets renamed over should have its delegation revoked--and we
can see that the client does return that delegation.  The OPEN here is
actually part of that delegation return process--the CLAIM_DELEGATE_CUR
value on "claim type" is telling the server that this is an open that
the client had cached locally under the delegation it is about to
return.

Looks like a client bug to me, possibly some sort of race handling the
delegation return and the new open.

It might help if it were possible to confirm that this is still
reproduceable on the latest upstream kernel.

--b.