From: Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com>
To: Graham Roff <grahamr@codeaurora.org>
Cc: Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@linaro.org>,
	Peter De Schrijver <pdeschrijver@nvidia.com>,
	Stephen Boyd <sboyd@kernel.org>,
	Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar@linaro.org>,
	linux-clk <linux-clk@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux PM <linux-pm@vger.kernel.org>,
	Doug Anderson <dianders@chromium.org>,
	Taniya Das <tdas@codeaurora.org>,
	Rajendra Nayak <rnayak@codeaurora.org>,
	Amit Nischal <anischal@codeaurora.org>,
	Vincent Guittot <vincent.guittot@linaro.org>,
	Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>,
	linux-clk-owner@vger.kernel.org
Subject: Re: [RFD] Voltage dependencies for clocks (DVFS)
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2018 14:23:54 -0700	[thread overview]

Quoting Graham Roff (2018-10-03 17:37:54)
> On 2018-10-01 12:00, Michael Turquette wrote:
> > Quoting grahamr@codeaurora.org (2018-09-25 14:26:25)

> >> If we allow the clock framework to use runtime pm to request
> >> performance
> >> levels for its own voltage requirements, what is the real difference
> >> in
> >> having it cover all voltage requirements based on the chosen clock
> >> frequency/state (because on/off affect the voltage requirement as well
> >> as the rate)?
> >
> > I had to re-read this a dozen times. At first I thought you were
> > challenging the idea that a clock provider should act like a voltage
> > consumer (in the case where the clock generator has performance
> > requirements of its own).
> >
> > But now I think that you're asking: why can't the clock provider driver
> > know everything about how the soc is integrated and set the voltage
> > based on the whole clock tree, thus sparing the consumer drivers having
> > to think about their voltage at all. Do I have that right?
>
> In a sense that is what I'm asking, but not as a request for any
> additional framework support - just as how a vendor could set up their
> performance states for the clock controller itself.

I think that this is the crux of the issue. The approach that you are
advocating for is to stuff the DVFS complexity for your platforms into
the clk drivers. Even if your clock drivers use genpd to configure a
voltage a rail, your approach still makes the clk framework the DVFS
interface for consumer drivers (io controllers, network drivers,
multimedia, etc).

My approach is that DVFS is a generic concept that everyone has been
using for over a decade. Let's not solve the problem for one platform by
bloating that platform's clock driver. Let's actually Do The Right Thing
upstream by addressing this issue in a scalable way for all platforms
that care about DVFS.

There was a time when every platform defined their own struct clk and
implemented all of their own clock tree logic from scratch (or more
often from copy-paste). Let's not repeat that design anti-pattern for
DVFS.

Stephen and I have been discussing an initial proposal. Eventually this
will make it to the list for comments.

Regards,
Mike