From: Ulf Hansson <ulf.hansson@linaro.org>
To: Peter De Schrijver <pdeschrijver@nvidia.com>,
	Michael Turquette <mturquette@baylibre.com>,
	Stephen Boyd <sboyd@kernel.org>
Cc: Viresh Kumar <viresh.kumar@linaro.org>,
	grahamr@codeaurora.org, linux-clk <linux-clk@vger.kernel.org>,
	Linux PM <linux-pm@vger.kernel.org>,
	Doug Anderson <dianders@chromium.org>,
	Taniya Das <tdas@codeaurora.org>,
	Rajendra Nayak <rnayak@codeaurora.org>,
	Amit Nischal <anischal@codeaurora.org>,
	Vincent Guittot <vincent.guittot@linaro.org>,
	Amit Kucheria <amit.kucheria@linaro.org>
Subject: Re: [RFD] Voltage dependencies for clocks (DVFS)
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2018 13:56:46 +0200	[thread overview]

On 25 July 2018 at 13:27, Peter De Schrijver <pdeschrijver@nvidia.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 10:44:00PM -0700, Michael Turquette wrote:
>> Quoting Stephen Boyd (2018-07-24 16:04:37)
>> > Quoting Peter De Schrijver (2018-07-23 01:26:41)

>> > This is AVS? Should be fine to plumb that into some sort of voltage
>> > domain that gets temperature feedback and then adjusts the voltage based
>
> For the core rail, it seems the voltage is indeed just adjusted based on
> temperature. For the GPU rail, we have equations which calculate the required
> voltage as a function of frequency and temperature. In some cases I think
> we just cap the frequency if the temperature would be too high to find
> a suitable voltage. Fortunately the GPU has its own rail, so it doesn't
> necessarily need to be handled the same way.
>
>> > on that? This is basically the same as Qualcomm's "voltage corners" by
>> > the way, just that the voltage is adjusted outside of the Linux kernel
>> > by another processor when the temperature changes.
>>
>> Ack to what Stephen said above. Adaptive voltage scaling, corners, body
>> bias, SMPS modes/efficiency, etc are all just implementation details.
>>
>> I don't think anyone is suggesting for drivers to take all of the above
>> into account when setting voltage. I would imagine either a "nominal"
>> voltage, a voltage "index" or a performance state to be passed from the
>> driver into the genpd layer.
>>
>> Peter would that work for you?
>>

> A voltage index should do I think. The reason for a voltage index is that
> we have at least one case, where the voltage depends on the mode of the
> device. This is the case for the HDMI/DP output serializers (SORx). The
> required voltage doesn't only depend on the pixel rate, but also on the
> mode (DP or HDMI). One danger is that we must make sure all
> drivers of devices sharing a rail, use this API to set their voltage
> requirement. If not, weird failures will show up.

I am trying to understand the proposal, but it seems like I am failing. Sorry.

Genpd already have an API for requesting a performance state for a
device, dev_pm_genpd_set_performance_state() - and genpd aggregates
the votes per PM domain.

The idea so far, is that most votes should come via the OPP layer,
dev_pm_opp_set_rate(), but for special cases users may decide to call
dev_pm_genpd_set_performance_state() directly.

So far so good?

Following the conversation, it seems like the suggestion is to *not*
go through the OPP layer, but instead always let drivers call
dev_pm_genpd_set_performance_state(). Why is that a benefit and why is
that preferred?

If I understood the main concern raised by Graham/Stephen, was that we
didn't want to make the driver call yet another API to manage OPPs. So
then calling dev_pm_genpd_set_performance_state() is fine, but not
dev_pm_opp_set_rate()?

Moreover, how would the driver know which performance state it shall
request? Sounds like a OPP translation is needed anyways, so even more
things falls into the responsibility of the driver, in case it shall
call dev_pm_genpd_set_performance_state(). It doesn't sound right to
me.

Finally, trying to make use of the ->stop|start() callbacks in genpd,
can be useful for SoC specific operations that we want to make
transparent for generic drivers. However, I wonder if dealing with
OPPs from there really makes sense, need to think more about that.

[...]

Kind regards
Uffe