* [cip-dev] Kernel configurations in the CIP project
@ 2018-10-02 18:53 Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2018-10-02 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hi Robert,

If I recall our conversation and follow the discussion on cip-dev correctly, you are still maintaining the test builds and infrastructure from the CIP project, right?

Could you provide to Markus Kreidl, Nicholas McGuire (see CC) and me the kernel configurations you use in the test builds for the different CIP members?

Background:

Markus Kreidl has written a tool that determines which patches, which hunks of those patches are relevant to a given configuration. We would be interested in providing an overview of which patches are especially relevant for the given configs of a new CIP kernel patchlevel release, and hence, the CIP maintainers (hopefully, it is not just Ben) are informed about those and can have a good look at those specific patches when they provide a new kernel release version.

If it useful, we would follow-up how to make that fit nicely into the existing review and reporting process. If it not useful, we learned a lesson about our tool.

Best regards,

Lukas
?

* [cip-dev] Kernel configurations in the CIP project
@ 2018-10-02 23:33 ` Daniel Sangorrin
From: Daniel Sangorrin @ 2018-10-02 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Hello Lukas,

Not sure about the configs that Robert uses for testing, but the configurations from CIP members can be found here.
https://gitlab.com/cip-project/cip-kernel/cip-kernel-config

> Background:
>
> Markus Kreidl has written a tool that determines which patches, which hunks of
> those patches are relevant to a given configuration. We would be interested in
> providing an overview of which patches are especially relevant for the given configs
> of a new CIP kernel patchlevel release, and hence, the CIP maintainers (hopefully, it
> is not just Ben) are informed about those and can have a good look at those specific
> patches when they provide a new kernel release version.
>
> If it useful, we would follow-up how to make that fit nicely into the existing review
> and reporting process. If it not useful, we learned a lesson about our tool.

That sounds very interesting indeed.
It would be nice if you could also map the patches to the LTP tests that need to be run.

Thanks,
Daniel

* [cip-dev] Kernel configurations in the CIP project
@ 2018-10-04 11:43 ` Robert Marshall
From: Robert Marshall @ 2018-10-04 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

Lukas

Thanks for your email, comments below.

Lukas Bulwahn <Lukas.Bulwahn@bmw-carit.de> writes:

> Hi Robert,
>
> If I recall our conversation and follow the discussion on cip-dev
> correctly, you are still maintaining the test builds and
> infrastructure from the CIP project, right?

That's correct

> Could you provide to Markus Kreidl, Nicholas McGuire (see CC) and me
> the kernel configurations you use in the test builds for the different
> CIP members?

I'm using the kernel versions with the latest CIP tag, I use exactly
the procedure described on this page

https://wiki.linuxfoundation.org/civilinfrastructureplatform/cipsystembuildhowto#building-the-cip-kernel-with-kernel-ci

building for the beaglebone black and the Renesas iwg20m board.

Robert

--
Robert Marshall, Software Developer                       Codethink Ltd
Telephone: +44 7762 840 414       3rd Floor, Dale House, 35 Dale Street

* [cip-dev] Kernel configurations in the CIP project
@ 2018-10-04 13:51   ` Ben Hutchings
From: Ben Hutchings @ 2018-10-04 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 08:33 +0900, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
> Hello Lukas,

[...]

I think these are the configurations that Lukas needs - they are the
configurations that should be used for determining whether commits are
relevant to CIP.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings, Software Developer                ?        Codethink Ltd
https://www.codethink.co.uk/                 Dale House, 35 Dale Street

@ 2018-10-04 21:48     ` Lukas Bulwahn
From: Lukas Bulwahn @ 2018-10-04 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

?On 2018-10-04, 15:52, "Ben Hutchings" <ben.hutchings@codethink.co.uk> wrote:

    On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 08:33 +0900, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
    > Hello Lukas,

Thanks for all the responses. I believe Markus Kreidl is already looking how he can produce useful information for the cip releases and those configs.

Lukas

* [cip-dev] Kernel configurations in the CIP project
@ 2018-10-05  4:10     ` Nicholas Mc Guire
From: Nicholas Mc Guire @ 2018-10-05  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 02:51:46PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 08:33 +0900, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
> > Hello Lukas,

ok - we started playing with them the siemens iot config seems very large to me is that
a designed config or did that "happen" ?

thx!
hofrat

* [cip-dev] Kernel configurations in the CIP project
@ 2018-10-08 12:33       ` Jan Kiszka
From: Jan Kiszka @ 2018-10-08 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On 05.10.18 06:10, Nicholas Mc Guire wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2018 at 02:51:46PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
>> On Wed, 2018-10-03 at 08:33 +0900, Daniel Sangorrin wrote:
>>> Hello Lukas,

The IOT2000 is an open platform, and that naturally brings in the need to have
more features preconfigured than one would selected in a dedicated devices, e.g.
drivers for pluggable devices.

Jan

* [cip-dev] Kernel configurations in the CIP project
@ 2018-10-09 15:26         ` Nicholas Mc Guire
From: Nicholas Mc Guire @ 2018-10-09 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cip-dev

On Mon, Oct 08, 2018 at 02:33:32PM +0200, Jan Kiszka wrote:
> On 05.10.18 06:10, Nicholas Mc Guire wrote:

ok - but that makes the evaluation of actual impact quite hard
so it would be very helpful to have a realistic reference example for
a particular use-case if that is possible. The current configuration
will give a very pesemistic view of the potential impact. Do you know
if there is some Use-Case that we could use as a comparison ?

thx!
hofrat