* [Qemu-devel] OpenBSD with VirtIO networking causes QEMU to crash
@ 2018-10-09 18:42 viq
From: viq @ 2018-10-09 18:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

(please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list)
I verified the behaviour on two different machines, both running archlinux
with QEMU 3.0.0 and reported it on https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60141
where it was suggested I bring it to the list.

So what happens: if you try to run OpenBSD with VirtIO networking enabled,
the moment OpenBSD brings up network the QEMU process crashes. Easiest
steps to reproduce:
Download for example
https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/amd64/install63.iso
Create new VM under libvirt as OpenBSD 6.3, create disk, "change options
before installation", change disk and network types to virtio
Proceed with installation (basically enter-enter-enter-...)
Observe qemu crash when network is brought up.

Sorry, I don't really know how to proceed further with that.
--
viq

* Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenBSD with VirtIO networking causes QEMU to crash
@ 2018-10-10  9:19 ` Dr. David Alan Gilbert
From: Dr. David Alan Gilbert @ 2018-10-10  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viq; +Cc: qemu-devel

* viq (vicviq@gmail.com) wrote:
> (please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list)
> I verified the behaviour on two different machines, both running archlinux
> with QEMU 3.0.0 and reported it on https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60141
> where it was suggested I bring it to the list.
>
> So what happens: if you try to run OpenBSD with VirtIO networking enabled,
> the moment OpenBSD brings up network the QEMU process crashes. Easiest
> steps to reproduce:
> Download for example
> https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/amd64/install63.iso
> Create new VM under libvirt as OpenBSD 6.3, create disk, "change options
> before installation", change disk and network types to virtio
> Proceed with installation (basically enter-enter-enter-...)
> Observe qemu crash when network is brought up.
>
> Sorry, I don't really know how to proceed further with that.

Hi Viq,
  Do you have the full qemu command line you're using?
  Does QEMU spit out any error messages when it crashes?

Dave

@ 2018-10-10 11:54 ` Brad Smith
From: Brad Smith @ 2018-10-10 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viq, qemu-devel

On 10/9/2018 2:42 PM, viq wrote:

> (please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list)
> I verified the behaviour on two different machines, both running archlinux
> with QEMU 3.0.0 and reported it on https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60141
> where it was suggested I bring it to the list.
>
> So what happens: if you try to run OpenBSD with VirtIO networking enabled,
> the moment OpenBSD brings up network the QEMU process crashes. Easiest
> steps to reproduce:
> Download for example
> https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/amd64/install63.iso
> Create new VM under libvirt as OpenBSD 6.3, create disk, "change options
> before installation", change disk and network types to virtio
> Proceed with installation (basically enter-enter-enter-...)
> Observe qemu crash when network is brought up.
>
> Sorry, I don't really know how to proceed further with that.

A regression with 3.0.0.

https://marc.info/?l=qemu-devel&m=153635729122442&w=2

* Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenBSD with VirtIO networking causes QEMU to crash
@ 2018-10-10 12:29   ` viq
From: viq @ 2018-10-10 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:54 PM Brad Smith <brad@comstyle.com> wrote:

> On 10/9/2018 2:42 PM, viq wrote:
>
> > (please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list)
> > I verified the behaviour on two different machines, both running
> archlinux
> > with QEMU 3.0.0 and reported it on https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60141
> > where it was suggested I bring it to the list.
> >
> > So what happens: if you try to run OpenBSD with VirtIO networking
> enabled,
> > the moment OpenBSD brings up network the QEMU process crashes. Easiest
> > steps to reproduce:
> > Download for example
> > https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/amd64/install63.iso
> > Create new VM under libvirt as OpenBSD 6.3, create disk, "change options
> > before installation", change disk and network types to virtio
> > Proceed with installation (basically enter-enter-enter-...)
> > Observe qemu crash when network is brought up.
> >
> > Sorry, I don't really know how to proceed further with that.
>
> A regression with 3.0.0.
>
> https://marc.info/?l=qemu-devel&m=153635729122442&w=2

Thank you Brad!
With that find, should I keep debugging, or is this information sufficient?

--

@ 2018-10-10 15:35     ` Brad Smith
From: Brad Smith @ 2018-10-10 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: viq; +Cc: qemu-devel

On 10/10/2018 8:29 AM, viq wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:54 PM Brad Smith <brad@comstyle.com
> <mailto:brad@comstyle.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/9/2018 2:42 PM, viq wrote:
>
>     > (please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list)
>     > I verified the behaviour on two different machines, both running
>     archlinux
>     > with QEMU 3.0.0 and reported it on
>     https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60141
>     > where it was suggested I bring it to the list.
>     >
>     > So what happens: if you try to run OpenBSD with VirtIO
>     networking enabled,
>     > the moment OpenBSD brings up network the QEMU process crashes.
>     Easiest
>     > steps to reproduce:
>     > Download for example
>     >
>     https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/amd64/install63.iso
>     > Create new VM under libvirt as OpenBSD 6.3, create disk, "change
>     options
>     > before installation", change disk and network types to virtio
>     > Proceed with installation (basically enter-enter-enter-...)
>     > Observe qemu crash when network is brought up.
>     >
>     > Sorry, I don't really know how to proceed further with that.
>
>     A regression with 3.0.0.
>
>     https://marc.info/?l=qemu-devel&m=153635729122442&w=2
>

> Thank you Brad!
> With that find, should I keep debugging, or is this information
> sufficient?

No need to do anything more. Just provide the URL in your Arch bug report
so the diff is rolled into their package.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] OpenBSD with VirtIO networking causes QEMU to crash
@ 2018-10-10 15:36       ` viq
From: viq @ 2018-10-10 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad; +Cc: qemu-devel

On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:35 PM Brad Smith <brad@comstyle.com> wrote:

> On 10/10/2018 8:29 AM, viq wrote:
>
> On Wed, Oct 10, 2018 at 1:54 PM Brad Smith <brad@comstyle.com> wrote:
>
>> On 10/9/2018 2:42 PM, viq wrote:
>>
>> > (please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list)
>> > I verified the behaviour on two different machines, both running
>> archlinux
>> > with QEMU 3.0.0 and reported it on
>> https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/60141
>> > where it was suggested I bring it to the list.
>> >
>> > So what happens: if you try to run OpenBSD with VirtIO networking
>> enabled,
>> > the moment OpenBSD brings up network the QEMU process crashes. Easiest
>> > steps to reproduce:
>> > Download for example
>> > https://ftp.halifax.rwth-aachen.de/pub/OpenBSD/6.3/amd64/install63.iso
>> > Create new VM under libvirt as OpenBSD 6.3, create disk, "change options
>> > before installation", change disk and network types to virtio
>> > Proceed with installation (basically enter-enter-enter-...)
>> > Observe qemu crash when network is brought up.
>> >
>> > Sorry, I don't really know how to proceed further with that.
>>
>> A regression with 3.0.0.
>>
>> https://marc.info/?l=qemu-devel&m=153635729122442&w=2
>>

> Thank you Brad!
> With that find, should I keep debugging, or is this information sufficient?
>
> No need to do anything more. Just provide the URL in your Arch bug report
> so the diff is rolled into their package.

Already done, thank you!
--
viq