* [RFC] put page to pcp->lists[] tail if it is not on the same node
@ 2018-10-19  4:33 Wei Yang
From: Wei Yang @ 2018-10-19  4:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: willy, mhocko, mgorman; +Cc: richard.weiyang, linux-mm, akpm

node

Masters,

During the code reading, I pop up this idea.

    In case we put some intelegence of NUMA node to pcp->lists[], we may
    get a better performance.

The idea is simple:

    Put page on other nodes to the tail of pcp->lists[], because we
    allocate from head and free from tail.

Since my desktop just has one numa node, I couldn't test the effect. I
just run a kernel build test to see if it would degrade current kernel.
The result looks not bad.

                    make -j4 bzImage
           base-line:

           real    6m15.947s
           user    21m14.481s
           sys     2m34.407s

           real    6m16.089s
           user    21m18.295s
           sys     2m35.551s

           real    6m16.239s
           user    21m17.590s
           sys     2m35.252s

           patched:

           real    6m14.558s
           user    21m18.374s
           sys     2m33.143s

           real    6m14.606s
           user    21m14.969s
           sys     2m32.039s

           real    6m15.264s
           user    21m16.698s
           sys     2m33.024s

Sorry for sending this without a real justification. Hope this will not
make you uncomfortable. I would be very glad if you suggest some
verifications that I could do.

Below is my testing patch, look forward your comments.