* [Buildroot] Out of tree Linux kernel builds?
@ 2018-11-06  0:08 Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2018-11-06  0:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Yann, all,

AFAIR a while back you mentioned that you were looking into adding
support for out of tree Linux builds. Do you have working patches for
that, or you would rather have someone take a stab at doing it?

Thanks!
--
Florian

* [Buildroot] Out of tree Linux kernel builds?
@ 2018-11-06  4:35 ` Baruch Siach
From: Baruch Siach @ 2018-11-06  4:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Florian,

Florian Fainelli writes:
> Hi Yann, all,
>
> AFAIR a while back you mentioned that you were looking into adding
> support for out of tree Linux builds. Do you have working patches for
> that, or you would rather have someone take a stab at doing it?

What do you mean by "out of tree Linux builds"? Buildroot has supported
custom kernel tree build since long ago. Did you mean external kernel
modules?

  https://buildroot.org/downloads/manual/manual.html#_infrastructure_for_packages_building_kernel_modules

baruch

   - baruch at tkos.co.il - tel: +972.52.368.4656, http://www.tkos.co.il -

* [Buildroot] Out of tree Linux kernel builds?
@ 2018-11-06  4:44   ` Florian Fainelli
From: Florian Fainelli @ 2018-11-06  4:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

On November 5, 2018 8:35:36 PM PST, Baruch Siach <baruch@tkos.co.il> wrote:
>Hi Florian,
>
>Florian Fainelli writes:
>> Hi Yann, all,
>>
>> AFAIR a while back you mentioned that you were looking into adding
>> support for out of tree Linux builds. Do you have working patches for
>> that, or you would rather have someone take a stab at doing it?
>
>What do you mean by "out of tree Linux builds"? Buildroot has supported
>custom kernel tree build since long ago. Did you mean external kernel
>modules?

I am talking about using Linux's ability to build objects into a different directory than where sources are. This is achieved by using make O=. The idea is that it would avoid using rsync to copy the kernel sources when using a custom build directory because this takes both unnecessary time and space to do the initial copy into build/linux-custom.
--
Florian

* [Buildroot] Out of tree Linux kernel builds?
@ 2018-11-06  7:45 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2018-11-06  7:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Florian,

On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 16:08:05 -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:

> AFAIR a while back you mentioned that you were looking into adding
> support for out of tree Linux builds. Do you have working patches for
> that, or you would rather have someone take a stab at doing it?

In fact we are not planning on supporting out of tree kernel builds,
but rather to support out of tree build for all packages in a generic
way, which would include the 'linux' package of course.

I did some work in this area many years ago, Yann picked up some of the
work, see the current status at
https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/log/?h=yem/oot.

I see he has other "oot" branches, such as
https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/log/?h=yem/oot-build-dir,
https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/log/?h=yem/oot-libtool
and
https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/log/?h=yem/oot-same-source.
I'm not sure how they relate to each other (I haven't looked at the
patches).

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Out of tree Linux kernel builds?
@ 2018-11-06 21:10   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2018-11-06 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Florian, All,

On 2018-11-06 08:45 +0100, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> On Mon, 5 Nov 2018 16:08:05 -0800, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> > AFAIR a while back you mentioned that you were looking into adding
> > support for out of tree Linux builds. Do you have working patches for
> > that, or you would rather have someone take a stab at doing it?
>
> In fact we are not planning on supporting out of tree kernel builds,
> but rather to support out of tree build for all packages in a generic
> way, which would include the 'linux' package of course.
>
> I did some work in this area many years ago, Yann picked up some of the
> work, see the current status at
> https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/log/?h=yem/oot.
>
> I see he has other "oot" branches, such as
> https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/log/?h=yem/oot-build-dir,
> https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/log/?h=yem/oot-libtool
> and
> https://git.buildroot.org/~ymorin/git/buildroot/log/?h=yem/oot-same-source.
> I'm not sure how they relate to each other (I haven't looked at the
> patches).

The branch are organised as such (+n patches on top of the parent
branch):

    master
        yem/oot-same-source (+5)
            yem/oot-libtool (+3)
                yem/oot-build-dir (+3)
                    yem/oot (+15)

Which means that yem/oot would bring all of the others.

The idea being to split the big series that originated with Thomas, into
more manageable chunks. Then rebase on master and adapt to the new state
of the tree.

Needless to say that it is not a trivial task! ;-) I even probably took
the not-so-trivial ones first. :-/  But basically, I think some branches
can be swapped without too much trouble.

I've put that in limbo for a moment, but I'm planning to work on it back
soon (winter means I no longer need to go outside take care of the
garden as much as I need to in summer. Wee! ;-] ).

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.