* Bug in stkwebcam?
@ 2018-11-22 19:23 Andreas Pape
From: Andreas Pape @ 2018-11-22 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Hello,

I recently updated my old 2006 Asus A6VM notebook with the latest 32bit
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (kernel 4.15.0) and found out that the driver for the
webcam (Syntek USB2.0, USB ID 174f:a311) was not working. I only got error
messages like "Sensor resetting failed" in dmesg when starting guvcview
for example.

Far from being an expert for video devices, I tried to debug this and
figured out three patches to make the webcam work again on my old notebook
(at least I get a video again ;-).

I know the type of notebook and webcam is pretty old and the driver seems
not to be actively maintained anymore although still being part of actual
kernel versions.

Is there still an interest in getting patches for such an old device? If
yes, I could try to rebase my patches to the actual version of media_tree.git
and post them to the mailing list.

Kind regards,
Andreas

* Re: Bug in stkwebcam?
@ 2018-11-22 19:46 ` Kieran Bingham
From: Kieran Bingham @ 2018-11-22 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Andreas,

On 22/11/2018 19:23, Andreas Pape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently updated my old 2006 Asus A6VM notebook with the latest 32bit
> Ubuntu 18.04 LTS (kernel 4.15.0) and found out that the driver for the
> webcam (Syntek USB2.0, USB ID 174f:a311) was not working. I only got error
> messages like "Sensor resetting failed" in dmesg when starting guvcview
> for example.
>
> Far from being an expert for video devices, I tried to debug this and
> figured out three patches to make the webcam work again on my old notebook
> (at least I get a video again ;-).

Excellent - that sounds like you've worked out the hard part :-)

> I know the type of notebook and webcam is pretty old and the driver seems
> not to be actively maintained anymore although still being part of actual
> kernel versions.
>
> Is there still an interest in getting patches for such an old device? If
> yes, I could try to rebase my patches to the actual version of media_tree.git
> and post them to the mailing list.

If it's a USB webcam, then it could be plugged into any newer PC/Laptop
too, so I would say there is still merit in identifying the fault and
fixing it if feasible.

I don't think it would hurt to send the patches at least.

Feel free to CC me when you do.

Regards
--
Kieran