* [Qemu-devel] travis failures
@ 2018-12-21  3:06 Alexey Kardashevskiy
From: Alexey Kardashevskiy @ 2018-12-21  3:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: qemu-devel

Hi

I am trying https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/ and that thing fails every
time I am not so sure why.

One example:
https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/jobs/470796318

The errors are like this:

  GTESTER check-qtest-unicore32
  GTESTER check-qtest-x86_64
Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
qemu-system-x86_64: Back to tcg accelerator

Does anyone else see those? How do we fix them? Thanks.

--
Alexey

* Re: [Qemu-devel] travis failures
@ 2018-12-21  6:47 ` Thomas Huth
From: Thomas Huth @ 2018-12-21  6:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexey Kardashevskiy, qemu-devel

On 2018-12-21 04:06, Alexey Kardashevskiy wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am trying https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/ and that thing fails every
> time I am not so sure why.
>
> One example:
> https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/jobs/470796318
>
> The errors are like this:
>
>   GTESTER check-qtest-unicore32
>   GTESTER check-qtest-x86_64
> Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
> qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
> qemu-system-x86_64: Back to tcg accelerator
>

> Does anyone else see those? How do we fix them? Thanks.

Some test are explicitly requesting "-M accel=kvm:tcg" and this is
causing this message if KVM is not available. We could maybe silence
them if qtest_enabled() ?

 Thomas

* Re: [Qemu-devel] travis failures
@ 2018-12-21  8:36   ` Greg Kurz
From: Greg Kurz @ 2018-12-21  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: Alexey Kardashevskiy, qemu-devel

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 07:47:07 +0100
Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:

> On 2018-12-21 04:06, Alexey Kardashevskiy wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am trying https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/ and that thing fails every
> > time I am not so sure why.
> >
> > One example:
> > https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/jobs/470796318
> >
> > The errors are like this:
> >
> >   GTESTER check-qtest-unicore32
> >   GTESTER check-qtest-x86_64
> > Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
> > qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
> > qemu-system-x86_64: Back to tcg accelerator
> >

> > Does anyone else see those? How do we fix them? Thanks.
>
> Some test are explicitly requesting "-M accel=kvm:tcg" and this is
> causing this message if KVM is not available. We could maybe silence
> them if qtest_enabled() ?
>
>  Thomas

I've also experienced a bunch of similar failures with travis, like:

https://travis-ci.org/gkurz/qemu/jobs/466994463

The KVM error messages aren't directly related to the failure IMHO.

In both cases, the cause of the failure seems to be:

No output has been received in the last XXm0s, this potentially indicates a
stalled build or something wrong with the build itself.
Check the details on how to adjust your build configuration on:
https://docs.travis-ci.com/user/common-build-problems/#Build-times-out-because-no-output-was-received
The build has been terminated

and the last GTESTER line is for tests/test-qht-par:

https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/jobs/470796318#L8219

https://travis-ci.org/gkurz/qemu/jobs/466994463#L4454

This has been recently discussed on qemu-devel:

https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-12/msg01638.html

But I haven't seen anything come out that yet.

* Re: [Qemu-devel] travis failures
@ 2018-12-21 10:26     ` Greg Kurz
From: Greg Kurz @ 2018-12-21 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Huth; +Cc: Alexey Kardashevskiy, qemu-devel, Emilio G. Cota

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:36:23 +0100
Greg Kurz <groug@kaod.org> wrote:

> On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 07:47:07 +0100
> Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > On 2018-12-21 04:06, Alexey Kardashevskiy wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > I am trying https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/ and that thing fails every
> > > time I am not so sure why.
> > >
> > > One example:
> > > https://travis-ci.org/aik/qemu/jobs/470796318
> > >
> > > The errors are like this:
> > >
> > >   GTESTER check-qtest-unicore32
> > >   GTESTER check-qtest-x86_64
> > > Could not access KVM kernel module: No such file or directory
> > > qemu-system-x86_64: failed to initialize KVM: No such file or directory
> > > qemu-system-x86_64: Back to tcg accelerator
> > >

> > > Does anyone else see those? How do we fix them? Thanks.
> >
> > Some test are explicitly requesting "-M accel=kvm:tcg" and this is
> > causing this message if KVM is not available. We could maybe silence
> > them if qtest_enabled() ?
> >
> >  Thomas
> >

> I've also experienced a bunch of similar failures with travis, like:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/gkurz/qemu/jobs/466994463

Today with tests/test-qht-par again:

https://travis-ci.org/gkurz/qemu/jobs/470871251#L4455

Cc'ing Emilio for suggestions on how to go forward with this.

@ 2018-12-21 18:28       ` Emilio G. Cota
From: Emilio G. Cota @ 2018-12-21 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg Kurz; +Cc: Thomas Huth, Alexey Kardashevskiy, qemu-devel, Eduardo Habkost

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 11:26:34 +0100, Greg Kurz wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:36:23 +0100
> Greg Kurz <groug@kaod.org> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 07:47:07 +0100
> > Thomas Huth <thuth@redhat.com> wrote:

> > > Some test are explicitly requesting "-M accel=kvm:tcg" and this is
> > > causing this message if KVM is not available. We could maybe silence
> > > them if qtest_enabled() ?
> > >
> > >  Thomas
> > >

> > I've also experienced a bunch of similar failures with travis, like:
> >
> > https://travis-ci.org/gkurz/qemu/jobs/466994463
> >

> Today with tests/test-qht-par again:
>
> https://travis-ci.org/gkurz/qemu/jobs/470871251#L4455
>
> Cc'ing Emilio for suggestions on how to go forward with this.

Yes, this was being discussed in this thread:

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-12/msg01638.html

I haven't heard from Eduardo in a while, I guess he's off for the
holidays.

My latest suggestion was to try a branch where test-qht-par is
standalone, instead of using system(3) to call qht-bench--see
  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-12/msg02056.html

Can anyone please try that? Or at least let me know how to run
a test Travis build so that I can debug this faster.

Thanks,

		Emilio

* Re: [Qemu-devel] travis failures
@ 2019-01-07 16:42         ` Eduardo Habkost
From: Eduardo Habkost @ 2019-01-07 16:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emilio G. Cota; +Cc: Greg Kurz, Thomas Huth, Alexey Kardashevskiy, qemu-devel

On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 01:28:10PM -0500, Emilio G. Cota wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 21, 2018 at 11:26:34 +0100, Greg Kurz wrote:
> > On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 09:36:23 +0100
> > Greg Kurz <groug@kaod.org> wrote:

> > > I've also experienced a bunch of similar failures with travis, like:
> > >
> > > https://travis-ci.org/gkurz/qemu/jobs/466994463
> > >

> > Today with tests/test-qht-par again:
> >
> > https://travis-ci.org/gkurz/qemu/jobs/470871251#L4455
> >
> > Cc'ing Emilio for suggestions on how to go forward with this.
>
> Yes, this was being discussed in this thread:
>
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-12/msg01638.html
>
> I haven't heard from Eduardo in a while, I guess he's off for the
> holidays.

Yes, sorry.  :)

> My latest suggestion was to try a branch where test-qht-par is
> standalone, instead of using system(3) to call qht-bench--see
>   https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/qemu-devel/2018-12/msg02056.html
>
> Can anyone please try that? Or at least let me know how to run
> a test Travis build so that I can debug this faster.

I don't remember the exact steps, but I think you should be able
to trigger Travis jobs on your GitHub branches by just logging
into travis-ci.org using your GitHub account.

I have pushed your test-qht-par branch to my repository, and the
jobs are still failing:

https://travis-ci.org/ehabkost/qemu-hacks/jobs/475580438

--
Eduardo