* Droid 4 modem support in kernel & ofono
@ 2019-02-01 20:36 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-02-01 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, tony, sre,
	nekit1000, mpartap, merlijn

Hi!

Ok, so I got calls and smses somehow working in kernel&ofono ... which
is really all I need.

I pushed the tree to git@github.com:pavelmachek/ofono.git , branch
d4... But I had to do some "rather interesting" hacks. D4 modem
expects packets and current kernel drivers rely on write() boundaries
and flush(). .. which is a bit of problem for in ofonod, as it expects
to work with bytestream with no explicit packet boundaries.

However D4 still uses normal AT commands, so... it would be good to be
able to use AT parsing framework in ofono.

I believe easiest solution would be to automatically do the packet
splitting in kernel, it should be as easy as splitting on \r and
^Z. (Currently packets are only generated when \r or ^Z is seen on
write boundary, but that does not work well for ofono).

Best regards,
									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-02-01 20:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

Hi!

Ok, so I got calls and smses somehow working in kernel&ofono ... which
is really all I need.

I pushed the tree to git(a)github.com:pavelmachek/ofono.git , branch
d4... But I had to do some "rather interesting" hacks. D4 modem
expects packets and current kernel drivers rely on write() boundaries
and flush(). .. which is a bit of problem for in ofonod, as it expects
to work with bytestream with no explicit packet boundaries.

However D4 still uses normal AT commands, so... it would be good to be
able to use AT parsing framework in ofono.

I believe easiest solution would be to automatically do the packet
splitting in kernel, it should be as easy as splitting on \r and
^Z. (Currently packets are only generated when \r or ^Z is seen on
write boundary, but that does not work well for ofono).

Best regards,
									Pavel

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Droid 4 modem support in kernel & ofono
@ 2019-02-01 20:50   ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2019-02-01 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: ofono, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, sre, nekit1000,
	mpartap, merlijn

* Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> [190201 20:36]:
> Hi!
>
> Ok, so I got calls and smses somehow working in kernel&ofono ... which
> is really all I need.

Nice :)

I think the SIM card reading and writing should be doable
using dlci10 /dev/motmdm10 for AT+CRSM calls..

> I pushed the tree to git@github.com:pavelmachek/ofono.git , branch
> d4... But I had to do some "rather interesting" hacks. D4 modem
> expects packets and current kernel drivers rely on write() boundaries
> and flush(). .. which is a bit of problem for in ofonod, as it expects
> to work with bytestream with no explicit packet boundaries.
>
> However D4 still uses normal AT commands, so... it would be good to be
> able to use AT parsing framework in ofono.
>
> I believe easiest solution would be to automatically do the packet
> splitting in kernel, it should be as easy as splitting on \r and
> ^Z. (Currently packets are only generated when \r or ^Z is seen on
> write boundary, but that does not work well for ofono).

OK yeah it's worth trying. I hit that issue too with the
flush needed for droid4-sms-tools scripts. And the traffic
we're seeing is minimal and AFAIK there's no network port
for ts27010. And SMS messages are PDU encoded anyways.

Hmm should we do it for \r\n and \r? Otherwise the \n
will be left out of the packet :)

Regards,

Tony

From: Tony Lindgren @ 2019-02-01 20:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: mpartap, merlijn, sre, kernel list, nekit1000, ofono, linux-omap,
	linux-arm-kernel

@ 2019-02-07 22:17     ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-02-07 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: ofono, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, sre, nekit1000,
	mpartap, merlijn

Hi!

> > Ok, so I got calls and smses somehow working in kernel&ofono ... which
> > is really all I need.
>
> Nice :)
>
> I think the SIM card reading and writing should be doable
> using dlci10 /dev/motmdm10 for AT+CRSM calls..

Might be. Sorry, this is outside of my area of interest, because LTE
would not be on usable frequencies, anyway.

> > I pushed the tree to git@github.com:pavelmachek/ofono.git , branch
> > d4... But I had to do some "rather interesting" hacks. D4 modem
> > expects packets and current kernel drivers rely on write() boundaries
> > and flush(). .. which is a bit of problem for in ofonod, as it expects
> > to work with bytestream with no explicit packet boundaries.
> >
> > However D4 still uses normal AT commands, so... it would be good to be
> > able to use AT parsing framework in ofono.
> >
> > I believe easiest solution would be to automatically do the packet
> > splitting in kernel, it should be as easy as splitting on \r and
> > ^Z. (Currently packets are only generated when \r or ^Z is seen on
> > write boundary, but that does not work well for ofono).
>
> OK yeah it's worth trying. I hit that issue too with the
> flush needed for droid4-sms-tools scripts. And the traffic
> we're seeing is minimal and AFAIK there's no network port
> for ts27010. And SMS messages are PDU encoded anyways.
>
> Hmm should we do it for \r\n and \r? Otherwise the \n
> will be left out of the packet :)

I guess splitting on \n makes sense, yes.

Ofono normally uses just \r. Translating it to \r\n in kernel (ttys
already do that) would be super nice, but I think this is easy enough
to handle in ofono.

Thanks,
									Pavel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-02-07 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: mpartap-hi6Y0CQ0nG0, merlijn-tF0PIh4TN3odnm+yROfE0A,
	sre-DgEjT+Ai2ygdnm+yROfE0A, kernel list,
	nekit1000-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, ofono-bdc2hr5oBkPYtjvyW6yDsg,
	linux-omap-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, linux-arm-kernel

From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-02-07 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tony Lindgren
  Cc: mpartap, merlijn, sre, kernel list, nekit1000, ofono, linux-omap,

From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-02-07 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ofono

@ 2019-02-08 15:22       ` Tony Lindgren
From: Tony Lindgren @ 2019-02-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek
  Cc: ofono, kernel list, linux-arm-kernel, linux-omap, sre, nekit1000,
	mpartap, merlijn

* Pavel Machek <pavel@ucw.cz> [190207 22:18]:
> Hi!
>
> > > Ok, so I got calls and smses somehow working in kernel&ofono ... which
> > > is really all I need.
> >
> > Nice :)
> >
> > I think the SIM card reading and writing should be doable
> > using dlci10 /dev/motmdm10 for AT+CRSM calls..
>
> Might be. Sorry, this is outside of my area of interest, because LTE
> would not be on usable frequencies, anyway.

Oh I did not mean LTE, I meant for general SIM access for
ofono for pin codes etc. Anyways, if anybody needs the sim,
it should be available at /dev/motmdm10.

> > > I pushed the tree to git@github.com:pavelmachek/ofono.git , branch
> > > d4... But I had to do some "rather interesting" hacks. D4 modem
> > > expects packets and current kernel drivers rely on write() boundaries
> > > and flush(). .. which is a bit of problem for in ofonod, as it expects
> > > to work with bytestream with no explicit packet boundaries.
> > >
> > > However D4 still uses normal AT commands, so... it would be good to be
> > > able to use AT parsing framework in ofono.
> > >
> > > I believe easiest solution would be to automatically do the packet
> > > splitting in kernel, it should be as easy as splitting on \r and
> > > ^Z. (Currently packets are only generated when \r or ^Z is seen on
> > > write boundary, but that does not work well for ofono).
> >
> > OK yeah it's worth trying. I hit that issue too with the
> > flush needed for droid4-sms-tools scripts. And the traffic
> > we're seeing is minimal and AFAIK there's no network port
> > for ts27010. And SMS messages are PDU encoded anyways.
> >
> > Hmm should we do it for \r\n and \r? Otherwise the \n
> > will be left out of the packet :)
>
> I guess splitting on \n makes sense, yes.
>
> Ofono normally uses just \r. Translating it to \r\n in kernel (ttys
> already do that) would be super nice, but I think this is easy enough
> to handle in ofono.

Do you have some simple test case with printf?

This test case works just fine already:

$ printf "AT+CFUN=1\rAT+SCRN=0\r" > /dev/motmdm1

But maybe the modem behaves in a different way for different
dlci.. So a minimal test case would be good to have :)

Regards,

Tony

From: Tony Lindgren @ 2019-02-08 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Pavel Machek