* Spurious warning fix backport for 4.9
@ 2019-02-19 14:42 pkoroau pkoroau
From: pkoroau pkoroau @ 2019-02-19 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-btrfs

Hi, I use Debian's default kernel 4.9. I booted 4.14 temporarily, installed
system updates with compress=zlib:9, booted 4.9. Now, syslog is cluttered with
hundreds of lines like:

BTRFS warning (device sda2): unhandled fiemap cache detected: offset=0
phys=653004800 len=4096 flags=0x2000

The warning is apparently harmless, as noted at:
https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg68326.html

The line of code issuing the warning was removed upstream at:
https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9803291/

Is this the right place to ask for a backport to 4.9? As I understand the
release process, Debian would pick it with the next stable kernel update.

Thanks

* Re: Spurious warning fix backport for 4.9
@ 2019-02-19 15:11 ` David Sterba
From: David Sterba @ 2019-02-19 15:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pkoroau pkoroau; +Cc: linux-btrfs

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 02:42:18PM +0000, pkoroau pkoroau wrote:
> Hi, I use Debian's default kernel 4.9. I booted 4.14 temporarily, installed
> system updates with compress=zlib:9, booted 4.9. Now, syslog is cluttered with
> hundreds of lines like:
>
> BTRFS warning (device sda2): unhandled fiemap cache detected: offset=0
> phys=653004800 len=4096 flags=0x2000
>
> The warning is apparently harmless, as noted at:
> https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-btrfs/msg68326.html
>
> The line of code issuing the warning was removed upstream at:
> https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9803291/
>
> Is this the right place to ask for a backport to 4.9? As I understand the
> release process, Debian would pick it with the next stable kernel update.

Yes. I've checked our wiki if the process is described there, but it's
quite scattered and so I'm going to write it more clearly. The
mailinglist should work as a fallback in other cases.

I'll send the backport request myself in a minute so it'll appear in
stable soon. Thanks.