* bashisms in meta-phosphor scripts
@ 2019-02-19 19:08 Mazur, Marta
From: Mazur, Marta @ 2019-02-19 19:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

Hi all,

We have to cut out bash from our system and use busybox ash as the only shell. I found several scripts in the meta-phosphor layer that are not POSIX compliant and therefore are unusable without bash.

Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone have plans to remove bash dependencies from this layer?

Or maybe we could patch those scripts and submit the patches to upstream? It should increase portability to systems with any POSIX shell.

Regards,
Marta

Intel Technology Poland sp. z o.o.
ul. Slowackiego 173 | 80-298 Gdansk | Sad Rejonowy Gdansk Polnoc | VII Wydzial Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sadowego - KRS 101882 | NIP 957-07-52-316 | Kapital zakladowy 200.000 PLN.

Ta wiadomosc wraz z zalacznikami jest przeznaczona dla okreslonego adresata i moze zawierac informacje poufne. W razie przypadkowego otrzymania tej wiadomosci, prosimy o powiadomienie nadawcy oraz trwale jej usuniecie; jakiekolwiek
przegladanie lub rozpowszechnianie jest zabronione.
This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential material for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and delete all copies; any review or distribution by
others is strictly prohibited.

* Re: bashisms in meta-phosphor scripts
@ 2019-02-28 21:48 ` Joseph Reynolds
From: Joseph Reynolds @ 2019-02-28 21:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazur, Marta; +Cc: openbmc, openbmc

On 2019-02-19 13:08, Mazur, Marta wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We have to cut out bash from our system and use busybox ash as the
> only shell. I found several scripts in the meta-phosphor layer that
> are not POSIX compliant and therefore are unusable without bash.

Why do you need to drop bash?  Licensing?  To save space?

> Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone have plans to remove
> bash dependencies from this layer?

I haven't heard of any such plans, nor did I find any in the email
archives: https://lists.ozlabs.org/pipermail/openbmc/

> Or maybe we could patch those scripts and submit the patches to
> upstream? It should increase portability to systems with any POSIX
> shell.

That approach could work.  Before you get started, we should discuss the
idea of not using POSIX scripts and not using bashisms.
If there is agreement, you might want to first document the issue here:
https://github.com/openbmc/docs/blob/master/anti-patterns.md

- Joseph

@ 2019-03-07 13:58 ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2019-03-07 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mazur, Marta; +Cc: openbmc

On Tue, Feb 19, 2019 at 07:08:00PM +0000, Mazur, Marta wrote:
>Hi all,
>
>We have to cut out bash from our system and use busybox ash as the only shell. I found several scripts in the meta-phosphor layer that are not POSIX compliant and therefore are unusable without bash.
>
>Has anyone run into this problem? Does anyone have plans to remove bash dependencies from this layer?

No plans that I am aware of, but I am in favor of being bash-free.
Thanks!

>Or maybe we could patch those scripts and submit the patches to upstream? It should increase portability to systems with any POSIX shell.

That would be great!  Do you plan to work on this?  While not required,
if you open a github issue for it and tag it with a release, we can
note that this work occurred in the release notes.

You might also consider adding something to the docs/anti-patterns.md
for this to really solidify that we want to be POSIX compliant in
meta-phosphor.

Thanks!

-brad

* RE: bashisms in meta-phosphor scripts
@ 2019-04-08 14:59   ` Mazur, Marta
From: Mazur, Marta @ 2019-04-08 14:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop; +Cc: openbmc

Hi Brad,
Sorry for the delayed response. We plan to start working on this in near future. I'll open a github issue as you suggested.

Thanks,
Marta