* [virtio-comment] virtio_blk_req.data size - Section 5.2.6 - version 1.1 draft 01
@ 2019-03-05 16:18 Savir, Gil
From: Savir, Gil @ 2019-03-05 16:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: virtio-comment

In version 1.1 draft 01 - Section 5.2.6 - struct virtio_blk_req definition:

Data field is defined as array of 512 Byte entries as follows:
	u8 data[][512];
It makes sense for IN and OUT requests, since defined for read/write sizes that are 512 Bytes multiplication.
However, it is confusing when used for DISCARD or WRITE_ZEROES requests, since virtio_blk_discard_write_zeroes struct size is 16 Bytes.

Is implying that DISCARD and WRITE_ZEROES requests must use data-field sizes that are 512 Bytes multiplication as well?

If yes, than the device can't tell how many virtio_blk_discard_write_zeroes structs reside within data-field. In that case - indication for number of virtio_blk_discard_write_zeroes structs needs to be added.

If not, then I suggest to add to the spec clarification, that for DISCARD or WRITE_ZEROES requests, data-field is not required to be with size that is 512 Bytes multiplication.

Thanks,
Gil

Intel Israel (74) Limited

This publicly archived list offers a means to provide input to the
OASIS Virtual I/O Device (VIRTIO) TC.

In order to verify user consent to the Feedback License terms and
to minimize spam in the list archive, subscription is required
before posting.

Subscribe: virtio-comment-subscribe@lists.oasis-open.org
Feedback License: https://www.oasis-open.org/who/ipr/feedback_license.pdf
Committee: https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/virtio/
Join OASIS: https://www.oasis-open.org/join/

* Re: [virtio-comment] virtio_blk_req.data size - Section 5.2.6 - version 1.1 draft 01
@ 2019-03-18 22:44 ` Michael S. Tsirkin
From: Michael S. Tsirkin @ 2019-03-18 22:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Savir, Gil; +Cc: virtio-comment

On Tue, Mar 05, 2019 at 04:18:10PM +0000, Savir, Gil wrote:
> In version 1.1 draft 01 - Section 5.2.6 - struct virtio_blk_req definition:
>
> Data field is defined as array of 512 Byte entries as follows:
> 	u8 data[][512];
> It makes sense for IN and OUT requests, since defined for read/write sizes that are 512 Bytes multiplication.
> However, it is confusing when used for DISCARD or WRITE_ZEROES requests, since virtio_blk_discard_write_zeroes struct size is 16 Bytes.
>
> Is implying that DISCARD and WRITE_ZEROES requests must use data-field sizes that are 512 Bytes multiplication as well?
>
> If yes, than the device can't tell how many virtio_blk_discard_write_zeroes structs reside within data-field. In that case - indication for number of virtio_blk_discard_write_zeroes structs needs to be added.
>
> If not, then I suggest to add to the spec clarification, that for DISCARD or WRITE_ZEROES requests, data-field is not required to be with size that is 512 Bytes multiplication.
>

> Thanks,
> Gil

Thanks for the report.

I think this was resolved as part of resolution of
https://github.com/oasis-tcs/virtio-spec/issues/34

@ 2019-04-04 15:22   ` Stefan Hajnoczi
From: Stefan Hajnoczi @ 2019-04-04 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael S. Tsirkin; +Cc: Savir, Gil, virtio-comment