* [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Anatomy Of The Linux Kernel
@ 2019-05-30  6:09 Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2019-05-30  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ksummit-discuss; +Cc: Tanish Shinde

From: Tanish Shinde <tanish.shinde2006@gmail.com>

[ Note: The following abstract was submitted via the Linux Plumbers
  Conference website.  Per the instructions that were posted for the
  Maintainer's / Kernel Summit Call for Proposals[1], the proposal
  should also be posted on the ksummit-discuss list, so that people
  can comment on the proposal, and perhaps start a discussion before
  the summit.

  [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/788378/

  Please note that topic proposals for both the Kernel Summit and the
  Maintainer's Summit are still welcome, and the deadline has been
  extended to June 3rd. -- Ted ]

The Linux kernel is the core of a large and complex operating system, and while it's huge, it is well organized in terms of subsystems and layers. In this talk, the viewer explores the general structure of the Linux kernel and gets to know its major subsystems and core interfaces.

In This Talk We Will Discuss The Following Topics

* The Fundamental Architecture Of Linux
* System Call Interface & Process Management
* Memory Management & The Virtual File System
* Network Stack & Device Drivers
* Architecture Dependent Code

This Talk Will Take A Look At The More Base and Core Concepts of
Linux. We Will Also Discuss Conceptual Architecture and Concrete
Architecture. This Will Also Serve Refresher Course For Linux
Enthusiasts and Experts Alike.

This Presentation Will Be Presented At Open Source Summit + KubeCon +
Cloud Native Con China 2019 and the presentation can be found here
-https://drive.google.com/file/d/13N3giY_DJkDVy91nVtMwLiIe8dbUiTgZ/view?usp=sharing

My Links

https://www.github.com/tanishshinde
https://www.tanishshinde.com

The Presentation is For Linux Hobbyists, Enthusiasts, Experts To
Understand The Core and Basic Concept Of Linux as it is as important
as advanced plumbing topics presented in the conference

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Anatomy Of The Linux Kernel
@ 2019-06-01  9:02 ` Leon Romanovsky
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2019-06-01  9:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Theodore Ts'o; +Cc: Tanish Shinde, ksummit-discuss

On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 02:09:39AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> From: Tanish Shinde <tanish.shinde2006@gmail.com>
>
> [ Note: The following abstract was submitted via the Linux Plumbers
>   Conference website.  Per the instructions that were posted for the
>   Maintainer's / Kernel Summit Call for Proposals[1], the proposal
>   should also be posted on the ksummit-discuss list, so that people
>   can comment on the proposal, and perhaps start a discussion before
>   the summit.
>
>   [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/788378/
>
>   Please note that topic proposals for both the Kernel Summit and the
>   Maintainer's Summit are still welcome, and the deadline has been
>   extended to June 3rd. -- Ted ]
>
> The Linux kernel is the core of a large and complex operating system, and while it's huge, it is well organized in terms of subsystems and layers. In this talk, the viewer explores the general structure of the Linux kernel and gets to know its major subsystems and core interfaces.
>
> In This Talk We Will Discuss The Following Topics
>
> * The Fundamental Architecture Of Linux
> * System Call Interface & Process Management
> * Memory Management & The Virtual File System
> * Network Stack & Device Drivers
> * Architecture Dependent Code

IMHO, it is far too beginner topic for LPC and definitely for KS too.

@ 2019-06-01  9:43   ` Greg KH
       [not found]     ` <CAFTVhMc6cjQko4pMdK0Vq1wOj+Wv+sSgWzwULhVQQF9+AL02JA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Greg KH @ 2019-06-01  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leon Romanovsky; +Cc: ksummit-discuss, Tanish Shinde

On Sat, Jun 01, 2019 at 12:02:24PM +0300, Leon Romanovsky wrote:
> On Thu, May 30, 2019 at 02:09:39AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > From: Tanish Shinde <tanish.shinde2006@gmail.com>
> >
> > [ Note: The following abstract was submitted via the Linux Plumbers
> >   Conference website.  Per the instructions that were posted for the
> >   Maintainer's / Kernel Summit Call for Proposals[1], the proposal
> >   should also be posted on the ksummit-discuss list, so that people
> >   can comment on the proposal, and perhaps start a discussion before
> >   the summit.
> >
> >   [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/788378/
> >
> >   Please note that topic proposals for both the Kernel Summit and the
> >   Maintainer's Summit are still welcome, and the deadline has been
> >   extended to June 3rd. -- Ted ]
> >
> > The Linux kernel is the core of a large and complex operating system, and while it's huge, it is well organized in terms of subsystems and layers. In this talk, the viewer explores the general structure of the Linux kernel and gets to know its major subsystems and core interfaces.
> >
> > In This Talk We Will Discuss The Following Topics
> >
> > * The Fundamental Architecture Of Linux
> > * System Call Interface & Process Management
> > * Memory Management & The Virtual File System
> > * Network Stack & Device Drivers
> > * Architecture Dependent Code
>
> IMHO, it is far too beginner topic for LPC and definitely for KS too.

I agree, this really is too much of a beginner-oriented talk for this
conference.

thanks,

greg k-h

@ 2019-06-01 17:52       ` Tanish Shinde
From: Tanish Shinde @ 2019-06-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH, ksummit-discuss

@ 2019-06-03  4:48         ` Leon Romanovsky
From: Leon Romanovsky @ 2019-06-03  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanish Shinde; +Cc: Greg KH, ksummit-discuss

On Sat, Jun 01, 2019 at 11:22:32PM +0530, Tanish Shinde wrote:
> On Sat, 1 Jun 2019 at 10:26 PM, Tanish Shinde <tanishshinde2006@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > hi
> > I understand that you think that this talk is basic and I could Not Agree
> > More
> > I have taken the time to develop the framework for my next talk
> >  Structural Decomposition Of The Linux FileSystem #101
> > Please take this talk into consideration and I believe that this is very
> > high level discussion about the Linux Filesystem, and also tell me your
> > thoughts on it its pretty lengthy and incredibly detailed and requesting to
> > reply as soon as possible

https://www.linuxplumbersconf.org/event/4/abstracts/
 The best presentations are not about finished work, but rather problems,
 proposals, or proof-of-concept solutions that require face-to-face
 discussions and debate.

Thanks

* Re: [Ksummit-discuss] [TECH TOPIC] Anatomy Of The Linux Kernel
@ 2019-06-17 13:33         ` Theodore Ts'o
From: Theodore Ts'o @ 2019-06-17 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tanish Shinde; +Cc: Greg KH, ksummit-discuss

On Sat, Jun 01, 2019 at 11:22:32PM +0530, Tanish Shinde wrote:
> > I have taken the time to develop the framework for my next talk
> >  Structural Decomposition Of The Linux FileSystem #101
> > Please take this talk into consideration and I believe that this is very
> > high level discussion about the Linux Filesystem, and also tell me your
> > thoughts on it its pretty lengthy and incredibly detailed and requesting to
> > reply as soon as possible

Hi Tanish,

Apologies for the delay in responding.  In general, tutorial level
talks are not appropriate for either the Plumbers Conference or Kernel
Summit.

This applies both to your submission, "Building A Docker Engine On A
Custom Linux OS For Raspberry Pi 3" and your proposed talk,
"Structural Decomposition Of The Linux FileSystem".

A description of how Windows uses the C:/ and D:/, and contrasting
this with Linux's use of mounts and a single directory hierarchy, as
well as /bin, /boot, and /dev, is far too basic this conference.
The talks you have submitted appropriate for the Open Source Summit;
perhaps you should consider submitting them to those conferences?

At the Kernel Summit and Linux Plumbers Conference, most of the
attendees who are interested in file systems are people who write and
maintain new file systems in the kernel.  We will also have people who
create the container systems which are used as the basis of systems
like Docker.  Many attendes will have built one (or more!) automated
systems for creating root file systems for embedded systems on
Raspberry Pi's, mobile handsets, automative systems, etc, so a manual
walkthrough of how to install the boot loader, kernel, and root file
system on an image designed to be written onto a SD Card is not going
to be terribly interesting for the conference attendees.

Best regards,

						- Ted