* Mistakes in message strings
@ 2019-06-01 14:27 Petr Pisar
From: Petr Pisar @ 2019-06-01 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: util-linux; +Cc: Petr Pisar

Hello,

while updating Czech translation for util-linux-2.34-rc2 I spotted these
issues in the message strings:

# FIXME: Remove a trailing period
#: login-utils/lslogins.c:1345
msgid ""
" -p, --pwd                display information related to login by password.\n"

# FIXME "user" should read "group"
#: sys-utils/setpriv.c:139
msgid " --rgid <gid|user>           set real gid\n"

# FIXME: Missing a comma between options
#: term-utils/agetty.c:2352
msgid " -J  --noclear              do not clear the screen before prompt\n"

# FIXME: Missing a comma between options
#: term-utils/agetty.c:2357
msgid " -N  --nonewline            do not print a newline before issue\n"

# FIXME: typo in "is possible", should be "if possible"
#: misc-utils/findmnt.c:1246
msgid "     --tree             enable tree format output is possible\n"

Moreover, I have difficulies in translating this message:

#: misc-utils/hardlink.c:363 text-utils/pg.c:1263
msgid "saved"

because each of the location requires a different translation in Czech
language ("stored" versus "spared"). Please either add a gettext context or,
better, duplicate the messages:

# First argument is "Would link" or "Linked".
#: misc-utils/hardlink.c:354
#, c-format
msgid " %s %s to %s\n"

into:

msgid " Would link %s to %s\n"
msgid " Linked %s to %s\n"

and duplicate this:

# First argument is "Would link" or "Linked".
# Second and third ones are file names.
# Fourth one is "would save" or "saved".
#: misc-utils/hardlink.c:360
#, c-format
msgid " %s %s to %s, %s %jd\n"

into:

msgid " Would link %s to %s, would save %jd\n"
msgid " Linked %s to %s, saved %jd\n"

I believe it will make the messages more undestandible and easier to
translate also in other languages.

-- Petr

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: Mistakes in message strings
@ 2019-06-04 11:10 ` Karel Zak
From: Karel Zak @ 2019-06-04 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Petr Pisar; +Cc: util-linux

On Sat, Jun 01, 2019 at 04:27:02PM +0200, Petr Pisar wrote:
> while updating Czech translation for util-linux-2.34-rc2 I spotted these
> issues in the message strings:

Thanks for your feedback!

I have always doubts when fix messages issues -- before the release it
means that some already translated strings will be untranslated; and
after the release it means we will release with known mistakes.

Anyway, after release it seems as better from my point of view.

    Karel

--
 Karel Zak  <kzak@redhat.com>
 http://karelzak.blogspot.com