* Building the alsa library
@ 2019-06-15 20:41 scott andrew franco
From: scott andrew franco @ 2019-06-15 20:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: alsa-devel

Hi,

I have been trying to solve a difficult issue using the ALSA library. To solve it, I need to be able to
debug into the ALSA library.

I tried to build it from the sources, from the alsa-lib-1.1.9 library source to be specific.

Problems:

Using the build procedure in the INSTALL file, it appeared to build but I could not find a libasound.so file
anywhere.

I also tried the recommended procedure for static linking, also from the INSTALL file. That gives a
./src/.libs/libasound.a file (indeed, this gets generated on a dynamic link as well, which I don't understand).
 However, linking with that produces (after adding back a few missing libs):
 samiam@samiam-linux-pc:~/scratch$ ./hello
This is a test program
ALSA lib conf.c:3558:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
ALSA lib pcm.c:2564:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
Program complete
 IE., it is linking pulse audio? Or do I need another .a file from the library collection?
 Notes: here is the .a files from the alsa-lib build:
 samiam@samiam-linux-pc:~/projects/alsa/alsa-lib-1.1.9$ find . -name *.a
./src/pcm/.libs/libpcm.a
./src/seq/.libs/libseq.a
./src/rawmidi/.libs/librawmidi.a
./src/ucm/.libs/libucm.a
./src/timer/.libs/libtimer.a
./src/topology/.libs/libtopology.a
./src/hwdep/.libs/libhwdep.a
./src/mixer/.libs/libmixer.a
./src/control/.libs/libcontrol.a
./src/.libs/libasound.a
 Here is the test file I am building (hello.c):
 #include <stdio.h>
#include <alsa/asoundlib.h>
 int main(void)
 {
 snd_pcm_t *pcm_handle;
 printf("This is a test program\n");
 snd_pcm_open(&pcm_handle, "default", SND_PCM_STREAM_PLAYBACK, 0);
 printf("Program complete\n");

}
 Here is the line used to compile it:
 gcc -static -o hello hello.c libasound.a -pthread -lm -ldl
 Thanks in advance.
 Scott Franco

* Re: Building the alsa library
@ 2019-06-16 12:11 ` Jaroslav Kysela
From: Jaroslav Kysela @ 2019-06-16 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: scott andrew franco, alsa-devel

Dne 15. 06. 19 v 22:41 scott andrew franco napsal(a):
> Hi,
>
> I have been trying to solve a difficult issue using the ALSA library. To solve it, I need to be able to
> debug into the ALSA library.
>
> I tried to build it from the sources, from the alsa-lib-1.1.9 library source to be specific.
>
> Problems:
>
> Using the build procedure in the INSTALL file, it appeared to build but I could not find a libasound.so file
> anywhere.
>
> I also tried the recommended procedure for static linking, also from the INSTALL file. That gives a
> ./src/.libs/libasound.a file (indeed, this gets generated on a dynamic link as well, which I don't understand).
>  However, linking with that produces (after adding back a few missing libs):
>  samiam@samiam-linux-pc:~/scratch$ ./hello
> This is a test program
> ALSA lib conf.c:3558:(snd_config_hooks_call) Cannot open shared library libasound_module_conf_pulse.so (/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: libasound_module_conf_pulse.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)

Your config files (perhaps from the distribution?) refer to the ALSA pulse
plugin which is in the alsa-plugins package. Fix the configuration files or
compile alsa-plugins, too.

					Jaroslav

--
Jaroslav Kysela <perex@perex.cz>