* [RFC] Removal of drivers/staging/media/bcm2048
@ 2019-07-23  8:51 Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-07-23  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

This staging driver is now almost 6 years old, but hasn't seen any real
development for a long time.

I think it is time to remove it, unless someone plans to do work on this
in the near future.

If anyone wants to work on this, please let us know.

Regards,

	Hans

* Re: [RFC] Removal of drivers/staging/media/bcm2048
@ 2019-07-23  9:09 ` Pavel Machek
From: Pavel Machek @ 2019-07-23  9:09 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue 2019-07-23 10:51:52, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> This staging driver is now almost 6 years old, but hasn't seen any real
> development for a long time.
>
> I think it is time to remove it, unless someone plans to do work on this
> in the near future.
>
> If anyone wants to work on this, please let us know.

So... unfortunately this one depends on bluetooth driver, which is
quite complex. Unfortunately, that one was removed from staging while
it was being worked upon, and seen little progress since that.

Best regards,
									Pavel

* Re: [RFC] Removal of drivers/staging/media/bcm2048
@ 2019-07-23  9:48   ` Pali Rohár
From: Pali Rohár @ 2019-07-23  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday 23 July 2019 11:09:53 Pavel Machek wrote:
> On Tue 2019-07-23 10:51:52, Hans Verkuil wrote:
> > This staging driver is now almost 6 years old, but hasn't seen any real
> > development for a long time.
> >
> > I think it is time to remove it, unless someone plans to do work on this
> > in the near future.
> >
> > If anyone wants to work on this, please let us know.
>
> So... unfortunately this one depends on bluetooth driver, which is
> quite complex. Unfortunately, that one was removed from staging while
> it was being worked upon, and seen little progress since that.

There is already a new bluetooth driver hci_nokia for bcm2048:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/bluetooth/hci_nokia.c
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts

--
Pali Rohár
pali.rohar@gmail.com

* Re: [RFC] Removal of drivers/staging/media/bcm2048
@ 2019-07-23 10:58     ` Hans Verkuil
From: Hans Verkuil @ 2019-07-23 10:58 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7/23/19 11:48 AM, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 July 2019 11:09:53 Pavel Machek wrote:
>> On Tue 2019-07-23 10:51:52, Hans Verkuil wrote:
>>> This staging driver is now almost 6 years old, but hasn't seen any real
>>> development for a long time.
>>>
>>> I think it is time to remove it, unless someone plans to do work on this
>>> in the near future.
>>>
>>> If anyone wants to work on this, please let us know.
>>
>> So... unfortunately this one depends on bluetooth driver, which is
>> quite complex. Unfortunately, that one was removed from staging while
>> it was being worked upon, and seen little progress since that.
>
> There is already a new bluetooth driver hci_nokia for bcm2048:
> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/drivers/bluetooth/hci_nokia.c

Hmm, this went in two years ago.

> https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/arm/boot/dts/omap3-n900.dts

Is there any chance that this bcm2048 driver will be fixed and moved out of staging
by the end of this year? If not, then I want to remove it.

@ 2019-07-24 21:42       ` Sebastian Reichel
From: Sebastian Reichel @ 2019-07-24 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)