* [Fuego] Issue with unoconv package inside fuego container
       [not found] <CGME20190823140645epcms5p404f0ab323be5f976896579d99b61eb1b@epcms5p4>
@ 2019-08-23 14:06 ` Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram @ 2019-08-23 14:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: fuego

[-- Attachment #2: 201602111742151_N3WZA6X7.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 33527 bytes --]

* Re: [Fuego] Issue with unoconv package inside fuego container
@ 2019-08-23 17:56   ` Tim.Bird
       [not found]   ` <CGME20190823140645epcms5p404f0ab323be5f976896579d99b61eb1b@epcms5p5>
       [not found]   ` <CGME20190823140645epcms5p404f0ab323be5f976896579d99b61eb1b@epcms5p8>
From: Tim.Bird @ 2019-08-23 17:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhinakar.k, fuego

I'll try to take a look at this when I'm back in the office next week.
(I'm currently at Embedded Linux Conference.)

What are you using unoconv for inside the container?
It looks like you're using it with the spreadsheet files created
by Fuego?

Just curious.
 -- Tim

@ 2019-08-26  7:58     ` Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram
From: Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram @ 2019-08-26  7:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim.Bird, fuego

@ 2019-09-05 13:47     ` Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram
From: Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram @ 2019-09-05 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim.Bird; +Cc: fuego

@ 2019-09-05 22:18       ` Tim.Bird
From: Tim.Bird @ 2019-09-05 22:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhinakar.k; +Cc: fuego

Sorry - I haven't had time to look into this.
I'll try to take a  look tonight.
 -- Tim

@ 2019-09-06  4:57       ` Tim.Bird
From: Tim.Bird @ 2019-09-06  4:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dhinakar.k; +Cc: fuego

I'm not an expert at debugging Debian package issues, but here are some
thoughts that come to mind.

Not only did we update from Jessie to stretch in the v1.5 release, but we
also switched from a 'full' docker image of Debian to the 'slim' docker image,
as the base for the Fuego image.

I didn't have time to try what I describe next, but you might change the
FROM line in the Fuego dockerfile from:
FROM debian:stretch-slim
FROM debian:stretch
and do a rebuild of the Fuego image, to see if that affects the issue.

My overall impression of your solution here is that it's overkill
to install unoconv and libreoffice into the Fuego container.
When I tried this, it added many packages and over 300MB of
new material to the image.  This is a bit unsettling, as I think it's
best not to install and/or upgrade a lot of material in the Fuego
container.  It's possible this will destabilize other packages in
the system, or break dependencies inside the Fuego distribution.

I think a better architecture for what you're doing would be to
execute the unoconv stuff on your host (outside the container).
If you are converting from excel spreadsheets or html created by Fuego,
you should be able to access these on the host in the fuego-rw/logs
directory (or wherever they get put under fuego-rw).

The Fuego container is intended to be run headless (that is, without
any graphics system), so I'm not sure how libreoffice is supposed to
execute in that environment.

When I tried to run unoconv as a listener, I got the following:
---
root@timdesk:/# unoconv -- listener
unoconv: RuntimeException during import phase:
Office probably died. Unsupported URL <listener>: "from LoadEnv::initializeLoading"
---

I'm guessing that this is because I can't invoke libreoffice inside the container.
I get an error: "Failed to open display"

Out of curiosity, do you have a libreoffice instance running on your host?
I don't know much about the UNO protocol, but it appears that unoconv
uses a network connection to a running libreoffice instance in order to
perform the actual file conversion.

I made a test document, called testfile.odt, and put it into the 'transfer'
directory under /fuego-rw.
Then I did this and it worked inside the container:
----
root@timdesk:/fuego-rw/transfer# ls
testfile.odt
root@timdesk:/fuego-rw/transfer# unoconv -f pdf testfile.odt
root@timdesk:/fuego-rw/transfer# ls
testfile.odt  testfile.pdf
---
I checked the PDF, and the output looked correct.

Note that I had libreoffice running on my host.  I'm not sure
whether unoconv connected to a running libreoffice instance
on my host (i.e. at ip address 'localhost'), or connected to a
running libreoffice instance inside the Fuego container, or
started its own instance of libreoffice inside the container.

In any event, I was unable to start a listener, but I was able
to successfully execute unoconv inside my Fuego container here.

 -- Tim

@ 2019-09-06 11:35     ` Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram
From: Dhinakar Kalyanasundaram @ 2019-09-06 11:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim.Bird; +Cc: fuego