* [Buildroot] Buildroot ts4800_defconfig no longer builds
@ 2019-08-10  8:54 Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2019-08-10  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Patrick,

The ts4800_defconfig you have contributed to Buildroot no longer builds:

  https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/269139300

The error is not visible directly in the Gitlab CI output, but
inspecting the full build log reveals this:

/tmp/cceWXtEN.s: Assembler messages:
/tmp/cceWXtEN.s:869: Error: .err encountered
/tmp/cceWXtEN.s:908: Error: .err encountered
/tmp/cceWXtEN.s:964: Error: .err encountered
/tmp/cceWXtEN.s:1114: Error: .err encountered
/tmp/cceWXtEN.s:1294: Error: .err encountered
  CC      fs/ext4/namei.o
/tmp/cceWXtEN.s:3832: Error: .err encountered
  CC      fs/ext2/xattr.o
  LD      fs/debugfs/debugfs.o
  CC      fs/jffs2/compr.o
  LD      fs/debugfs/built-in.o
  CC      fs/kernfs/mount.o
  CC      fs/lockd/clntlock.o
  CC      fs/ext2/xattr_user.o
  CC      fs/jbd2/commit.o
  CC      fs/nfs/client.o
  CC      fs/jbd2/recovery.o
scripts/Makefile.build:291: recipe for target 'fs/fat/dir.o' failed
make[3]: *** [fs/fat/dir.o] Error 1

This happens because we updated our default gcc version to gcc 8.x, and
the kernel you're using is too old and doesn't have fixes to work with
gcc 8.x. Could you update to a newer kernel version ?

Also, could you send a patch adding yourself as a maintainer for this
defconfig in our DEVELOPERS file ?

Thanks!

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Bootlin
Embedded Linux and Kernel engineering

* [Buildroot] Buildroot ts4800_defconfig no longer builds
@ 2019-08-18 19:48 ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2019-08-18 19:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Patrick,

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 10:54:11 +0200
Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:

> The ts4800_defconfig you have contributed to Buildroot no longer builds:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/269139300
>
> The error is not visible directly in the Gitlab CI output, but
> inspecting the full build log reveals this:

A week later, the latest Gitlab CI pipeline still fails on this
defconfig:

  https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/273673274

Do you think you will have a chance to fix this before the end of the
month ? If not, we will have to remove the defconfig, at least
temporarily.

Thanks,

Thomas
--

@ 2019-09-19 16:38 ` Vivien Didelot
From: Vivien Didelot @ 2019-09-19 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 10:54:11 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@bootlin.com> wrote:
> Hello Patrick,
>
> The ts4800_defconfig you have contributed to Buildroot no longer builds:
>
>   https://gitlab.com/buildroot.org/buildroot/-/jobs/269139300
>
> The error is not visible directly in the Gitlab CI output, but
> inspecting the full build log reveals this:
>
> /tmp/cceWXtEN.s: Assembler messages:
> /tmp/cceWXtEN.s:869: Error: .err encountered
> /tmp/cceWXtEN.s:908: Error: .err encountered
> /tmp/cceWXtEN.s:964: Error: .err encountered
> /tmp/cceWXtEN.s:1114: Error: .err encountered
> /tmp/cceWXtEN.s:1294: Error: .err encountered
>   CC      fs/ext4/namei.o
> /tmp/cceWXtEN.s:3832: Error: .err encountered
>   CC      fs/ext2/xattr.o
>   LD      fs/debugfs/debugfs.o
>   CC      fs/jffs2/compr.o
>   LD      fs/debugfs/built-in.o
>   CC      fs/kernfs/mount.o
>   CC      fs/lockd/clntlock.o
>   CC      fs/ext2/xattr_user.o
>   CC      fs/jbd2/commit.o
>   CC      fs/nfs/client.o
>   CC      fs/jbd2/recovery.o
> scripts/Makefile.build:291: recipe for target 'fs/fat/dir.o' failed
> make[3]: *** [fs/fat/dir.o] Error 1
>
> This happens because we updated our default gcc version to gcc 8.x, and
> the kernel you're using is too old and doesn't have fixes to work with
> gcc 8.x. Could you update to a newer kernel version ?
>
> Also, could you send a patch adding yourself as a maintainer for this
> defconfig in our DEVELOPERS file ?

I'm updating Patrick's email and copying Damien as well, as he might be
aware of this build issue.

Thanks,

	Vivien

* [Buildroot] Buildroot ts4800_defconfig no longer builds
@ 2019-09-19 19:15   ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2019-09-19 19:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Vivien,

On Thu, 19 Sep 2019 12:38:32 -0400
Vivien Didelot <vivien.didelot@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Also, could you send a patch adding yourself as a maintainer for this
> > defconfig in our DEVELOPERS file ?
>
> I'm updating Patrick's email and copying Damien as well, as he might be
> aware of this build issue.

For the record, we dropped the ts4800_defconfig before the 2019.08
release:

  https://git.buildroot.org/buildroot/commit/configs?id=bc395142b907b98e831208733afb0e19af8d2226

Best regards,

Thomas