* Are BPF tail calls only supposed to work with pinned maps?
@ 2019-09-26 11:23 Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2019-09-26 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Borkmann; +Cc: netdev, bpf

Hi Daniel

While working on a prototype of the XDP chain call feature, I ran into
some strange behaviour with tail calls: If I create a userspace program
that loads two XDP programs, one of which tail calls the other, the tail
call map would appear to be empty even though the userspace program
populates it as part of the program loading.

I eventually tracked this down to this commit:
c9da161c6517 ("bpf: fix clearing on persistent program array maps")

Which clears PROG_ARRAY maps whenever the last uref to it disappears
(which it does when my loader exits after attaching the XDP program).

This effectively means that tail calls only work if the PROG_ARRAY map
is pinned (or the process creating it keeps running). And as far as I
can tell, the inner_map reference in bpf_map_fd_get_ptr() doesn't bump
the uref either, so presumably if one were to create a map-in-map
construct with tail call pointer in the inner map(s), each inner map
would also need to be pinned (haven't tested this case)?

Is this really how things are supposed to work? From an XDP use case PoV
this seems somewhat surprising...

Or am I missing something obvious here?

-Toke

* Re: Are BPF tail calls only supposed to work with pinned maps?
@ 2019-09-26 12:53 ` Daniel Borkmann
From: Daniel Borkmann @ 2019-09-26 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: netdev, bpf

Hi Toke,

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 01:23:38PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
[...]
> While working on a prototype of the XDP chain call feature, I ran into
> some strange behaviour with tail calls: If I create a userspace program
> that loads two XDP programs, one of which tail calls the other, the tail
> call map would appear to be empty even though the userspace program
> populates it as part of the program loading.
>
> I eventually tracked this down to this commit:
> c9da161c6517 ("bpf: fix clearing on persistent program array maps")

Correct.

> Which clears PROG_ARRAY maps whenever the last uref to it disappears
> (which it does when my loader exits after attaching the XDP program).
>
> This effectively means that tail calls only work if the PROG_ARRAY map
> is pinned (or the process creating it keeps running). And as far as I
> can tell, the inner_map reference in bpf_map_fd_get_ptr() doesn't bump
> the uref either, so presumably if one were to create a map-in-map
> construct with tail call pointer in the inner map(s), each inner map
> would also need to be pinned (haven't tested this case)?

There is no map in map support for tail calls today.

> Is this really how things are supposed to work? From an XDP use case PoV
> this seems somewhat surprising...
>
> Or am I missing something obvious here?

The way it was done like this back then was in order to break up cyclic
dependencies as otherwise the programs and maps involved would never get
freed as they reference themselves and live on in the kernel forever
consuming potentially large amount of resources, so orchestration tools
like Cilium typically just pin the maps in bpf fs (like most other maps
it uses and accesses from agent side) in order to up/downgrade the agent
while keeping BPF datapath intact.

Thanks,
Daniel

* Re: Are BPF tail calls only supposed to work with pinned maps?
@ 2019-09-26 13:12   ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2019-09-26 13:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Borkmann; +Cc: netdev, bpf

Daniel Borkmann <daniel@iogearbox.net> writes:

> Hi Toke,
>
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 01:23:38PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> [...]
>> While working on a prototype of the XDP chain call feature, I ran into
>> some strange behaviour with tail calls: If I create a userspace program
>> that loads two XDP programs, one of which tail calls the other, the tail
>> call map would appear to be empty even though the userspace program
>> populates it as part of the program loading.
>>
>> I eventually tracked this down to this commit:
>> c9da161c6517 ("bpf: fix clearing on persistent program array maps")
>
> Correct.
>
>> Which clears PROG_ARRAY maps whenever the last uref to it disappears
>> (which it does when my loader exits after attaching the XDP program).
>>
>> This effectively means that tail calls only work if the PROG_ARRAY map
>> is pinned (or the process creating it keeps running). And as far as I
>> can tell, the inner_map reference in bpf_map_fd_get_ptr() doesn't bump
>> the uref either, so presumably if one were to create a map-in-map
>> construct with tail call pointer in the inner map(s), each inner map
>> would also need to be pinned (haven't tested this case)?
>
> There is no map in map support for tail calls today.

Not directly, but can't a program do:

tail_call_map = bpf_map_lookup(outer_map, key);
bpf_tail_call(tail_call_map, idx);

>> Is this really how things are supposed to work? From an XDP use case PoV
>> this seems somewhat surprising...
>>
>> Or am I missing something obvious here?
>
> The way it was done like this back then was in order to break up cyclic
> dependencies as otherwise the programs and maps involved would never get
> freed as they reference themselves and live on in the kernel forever
> consuming potentially large amount of resources, so orchestration tools
> like Cilium typically just pin the maps in bpf fs (like most other maps
> it uses and accesses from agent side) in order to up/downgrade the agent
> while keeping BPF datapath intact.

Right. I can see how the cyclic reference thing gets thorny otherwise.
However, the behaviour was somewhat surprising to me; is it documented
anywhere?

I think I'll probably end up creating a new map type for chaining
programs anyway, so this is not a huge show-stopper for me; but it had
me scratching my head for a while there... ;)

@ 2019-09-26 18:14     ` Daniel Borkmann
From: Daniel Borkmann @ 2019-09-26 18:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen; +Cc: netdev, bpf

On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 03:12:30PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> Daniel Borkmann <daniel@iogearbox.net> writes:
> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 01:23:38PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
> > [...]
> >> While working on a prototype of the XDP chain call feature, I ran into
> >> some strange behaviour with tail calls: If I create a userspace program
> >> that loads two XDP programs, one of which tail calls the other, the tail
> >> call map would appear to be empty even though the userspace program
> >> populates it as part of the program loading.
> >>
> >> I eventually tracked this down to this commit:
> >> c9da161c6517 ("bpf: fix clearing on persistent program array maps")
> >
> > Correct.
> >
> >> Which clears PROG_ARRAY maps whenever the last uref to it disappears
> >> (which it does when my loader exits after attaching the XDP program).
> >>
> >> This effectively means that tail calls only work if the PROG_ARRAY map
> >> is pinned (or the process creating it keeps running). And as far as I
> >> can tell, the inner_map reference in bpf_map_fd_get_ptr() doesn't bump
> >> the uref either, so presumably if one were to create a map-in-map
> >> construct with tail call pointer in the inner map(s), each inner map
> >> would also need to be pinned (haven't tested this case)?
> >
> > There is no map in map support for tail calls today.
>
> Not directly, but can't a program do:
>
> tail_call_map = bpf_map_lookup(outer_map, key);
> bpf_tail_call(tail_call_map, idx);

Nope, that is what I meant, bpf_map_meta_alloc() will bail out in that
case.

> >> Is this really how things are supposed to work? From an XDP use case PoV
> >> this seems somewhat surprising...
> >>
> >> Or am I missing something obvious here?
> >
> > The way it was done like this back then was in order to break up cyclic
> > dependencies as otherwise the programs and maps involved would never get
> > freed as they reference themselves and live on in the kernel forever
> > consuming potentially large amount of resources, so orchestration tools
> > like Cilium typically just pin the maps in bpf fs (like most other maps
> > it uses and accesses from agent side) in order to up/downgrade the agent
> > while keeping BPF datapath intact.
>
> Right. I can see how the cyclic reference thing gets thorny otherwise.
> However, the behaviour was somewhat surprising to me; is it documented
> anywhere?

Haven't updated the BPF guide in a while [0], I don't think I documented
this detail back then, so right now only in the git log. Improvements to
the reference guide definitely welcome.

Thanks,
Daniel

  [0] https://cilium.readthedocs.io/en/latest/bpf/
      https://github.com/cilium/cilium/blob/master/Documentation/bpf.rst

* Re: Are BPF tail calls only supposed to work with pinned maps?
@ 2019-09-27  7:27       ` Toke Høiland-Jørgensen
From: Toke Høiland-Jørgensen @ 2019-09-27  7:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Borkmann; +Cc: netdev, bpf

Daniel Borkmann <daniel@iogearbox.net> writes:

> On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 03:12:30PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> Daniel Borkmann <daniel@iogearbox.net> writes:
>> > On Thu, Sep 26, 2019 at 01:23:38PM +0200, Toke Høiland-Jørgensen wrote:
>> > [...]
>> >
>> > Correct.

>> > There is no map in map support for tail calls today.
>>
>> Not directly, but can't a program do:
>>
>> tail_call_map = bpf_map_lookup(outer_map, key);
>> bpf_tail_call(tail_call_map, idx);
>
> Nope, that is what I meant, bpf_map_meta_alloc() will bail out in that
> case.

Oohhh, right. Seems I reversed that if statement in my head. Silly me,
thanks for clarifying!

>> > The way it was done like this back then was in order to break up cyclic
>> > dependencies as otherwise the programs and maps involved would never get
>> > freed as they reference themselves and live on in the kernel forever
>> > consuming potentially large amount of resources, so orchestration tools
>> > like Cilium typically just pin the maps in bpf fs (like most other maps
>> > it uses and accesses from agent side) in order to up/downgrade the agent
>> > while keeping BPF datapath intact.
>>
>> Right. I can see how the cyclic reference thing gets thorny otherwise.
>> However, the behaviour was somewhat surprising to me; is it documented
>> anywhere?
>
> Haven't updated the BPF guide in a while [0], I don't think I
> documented this detail back then, so right now only in the git log.
> Improvements to the reference guide definitely welcome.

Gotcha. I guess we should add something about tail calls (and chain
calls once we get them) to the XDP tutorial as well...

-Toke