* Drop Kconfig option PCIEASPM?
@ 2019-10-25 21:42 Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2019-10-25 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bjorn Helgaas; +Cc: linux-pci

I wonder whether anybody actually wants to disable ASPM support.
In an old Kconfig commit message is mentioned that it may help
to reduce kernel size of embedded systems. However I would
think that on embedded systems ASPM is quite useful as it
saves significant power and may result in a lower system
temperature therefore.
W/o ASPM support we have to live with devices coming up
in whatever mode boot loader or firmware configure.

Heiner

* Re: Drop Kconfig option PCIEASPM?
@ 2019-10-28  5:41 ` Vidya Sagar
From: Vidya Sagar @ 2019-10-28  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit, Bjorn Helgaas; +Cc: linux-pci

On 10/26/2019 3:12 AM, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
> I wonder whether anybody actually wants to disable ASPM support.
> In an old Kconfig commit message is mentioned that it may help
> to reduce kernel size of embedded systems. However I would
> think that on embedded systems ASPM is quite useful as it
> saves significant power and may result in a lower system
> temperature therefore.
> W/o ASPM support we have to live with devices coming up
> in whatever mode boot loader or firmware configure.
>
> Heiner

It means that we can still have an option to specify one of
PCIEASPM_DEFAULT/PERFORMANCE/POWERSAVE/POWER_SUPERSAVE configs right?

Vidya Sagar

* Re: Drop Kconfig option PCIEASPM?
@ 2019-10-28  6:26   ` Heiner Kallweit
From: Heiner Kallweit @ 2019-10-28  6:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vidya Sagar, Bjorn Helgaas; +Cc: linux-pci

On 28.10.2019 06:41, Vidya Sagar wrote:
> On 10/26/2019 3:12 AM, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
>> I wonder whether anybody actually wants to disable ASPM support.
>> In an old Kconfig commit message is mentioned that it may help
>> to reduce kernel size of embedded systems. However I would
>> think that on embedded systems ASPM is quite useful as it
>> saves significant power and may result in a lower system
>> temperature therefore.
>> W/o ASPM support we have to live with devices coming up
>> in whatever mode boot loader or firmware configure.
>>
>> Heiner
>>
> It means that we can still have an option to specify one of
> PCIEASPM_DEFAULT/PERFORMANCE/POWERSAVE/POWER_SUPERSAVE configs right?

Yes, these config options would remain.
PCIEASPM has a dependency on PCIEPORTBUS, so the idea would be to
build ASPM support whenever PCIEPORTBUS is defined.

@ 2019-10-28 16:47 ` Bjorn Helgaas
From: Bjorn Helgaas @ 2019-10-28 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heiner Kallweit; +Cc: linux-pci

On Fri, Oct 25, 2019 at 11:42:06PM +0200, Heiner Kallweit wrote:
> I wonder whether anybody actually wants to disable ASPM support.
> In an old Kconfig commit message is mentioned that it may help
> to reduce kernel size of embedded systems. However I would
> think that on embedded systems ASPM is quite useful as it
> saves significant power and may result in a lower system
> temperature therefore.
> W/o ASPM support we have to live with devices coming up
> in whatever mode boot loader or firmware configure.

What would be the advantage of dropping CONFIG_PCIEASPM?  I don't
think it really costs us much to keep it.  I do agree most systems
probably want it.