* 【infiniband_diags tool question】
@ 2019-11-16  2:20 oulijun
From: oulijun @ 2019-11-16  2:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: linux-rdma

Hi, Jason Gunthorpe
    I have noticed that you have integrated infiniband_diags in the new rdma-core repo.
I want to try to using it in RoCE. it is fail. the print as flows:
roo
root@(none)# ./ibaddr -g 0
 ibwarn: [1054] mad_rpc_open_port: client_register for mgmt 1 failed
  Failed to open (null) port 0

I found through process analysis that it needs ca to support IB_QPT_SMI.
I understand that if hca does not support SMI, then we will not be able to use infiniband_diags tool?

Thanks
Lijun Ou

* Re: 【infiniband_diags tool question】
@ 2019-11-18 17:21 ` Jason Gunthorpe
From: Jason Gunthorpe @ 2019-11-18 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: oulijun; +Cc: linux-rdma

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 10:20:19AM +0800, oulijun wrote:
> Hi, Jason Gunthorpe
>     I have noticed that you have integrated infiniband_diags in the new rdma-core repo.
> I want to try to using it in RoCE. it is fail. the print as flows:
> roo
> root@(none)# ./ibaddr -g 0
>  ibwarn: [1054] mad_rpc_open_port: client_register for mgmt 1 failed
>   Failed to open (null) port 0
>
> I found through process analysis that it needs ca to support IB_QPT_SMI.
> I understand that if hca does not support SMI, then we will not be able to use infiniband_diags tool?

I didn't think diags were really relevant for roce? The only thing
that should work is perfquery

Jason

* Re: 【infiniband_diags tool question】
@ 2019-11-18 19:01   ` Ira Weiny
From: Ira Weiny @ 2019-11-18 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Gunthorpe; +Cc: oulijun, linux-rdma

On Mon, Nov 18, 2019 at 01:21:44PM -0400, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 10:20:19AM +0800, oulijun wrote:
> > Hi, Jason Gunthorpe
> >     I have noticed that you have integrated infiniband_diags in the new rdma-core repo.
> > I want to try to using it in RoCE. it is fail. the print as flows:
> > roo
> > root@(none)# ./ibaddr -g 0
> >  ibwarn: [1054] mad_rpc_open_port: client_register for mgmt 1 failed
> >   Failed to open (null) port 0
> >
> > I found through process analysis that it needs ca to support IB_QPT_SMI.
> > I understand that if hca does not support SMI, then we will not be able to use infiniband_diags tool?
>
> I didn't think diags were really relevant for roce? The only thing
> that should work is perfquery

This is correct.   infiniband-diags are not really relevant to RoCE or OPA.
While some tools will work.  They are not specifically designed for nor
intended to support anything other than InfiniBand.

Ira